Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   NY invasion of privacy again (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ny-invasion-privacy-again-73159/)

Heartnsoul 03-21-2013 10:50 AM

NY invasion of privacy again

Latest Now you can sit home, call in on your gov't issued phone to report ANYONE you think may be in possession of a gun illegally. Insane!! And you'll receive $500 so now you can make this your job. Just sit home, go through phone book and call everyone in.

graciegirl 03-21-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartnsoul (Post 646083)
Latest Now you can sit home, call in on your gov't issued phone to report ANYONE you think may be in possession of a gun illegally. Insane!! And you'll receive $500 so now you can make this your job. Just sit home, go through phone book and call everyone in.

What are you talking about? Could you link us or tell us something about the subject?

2BNTV 03-21-2013 11:14 AM

Sorry but there must be more to this story. Would you please provide a link?

janmcn 03-21-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

So you're saying I can collect $500 per call whether they have a gun or not?

villages07 03-21-2013 11:27 AM

Apparently, it is true..

New York offers $500 reward for reporting illegal gun owners | Fox News

Here's the official NYC website... as one would expect, the tip would have to lead to an arrest (and conviction?) in order to collect the reward..

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/home/rewards.shtml

DaleMN 03-21-2013 11:36 AM

Would it be an invasion of privacy if a child's life were saved?

Cisco Kid 03-21-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

So it looks like I can retire I buy in TV sooner than I thought.
:loco::loco:

Patty55 03-21-2013 01:08 PM

This will never work in NY, the first things you learn there is MYOB and nobody likes a snitch.

buggyone 03-21-2013 01:23 PM

Illegal guns have caused too many deaths in so many large cities. I do not see anything wrong with paying tipsters to get the illegal guns and their owners off the streets.

I do not understand what a "government issued phone" is. If he meant a phone for low income persons, that dates back to the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Serenoa 03-21-2013 01:55 PM

If you're engaged in illegal activity I believe you've waived your right to privacy.

Wish Alabama would follow NY & do the same. I could have a home in TV with a new Corvette in the driveway pretty dang quick.

Cantwaittoarrive 03-21-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleMN (Post 646113)
Would it be an invasion of privacy if a child's life were saved?

Yes

Cantwaittoarrive 03-21-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenoa (Post 646179)
If you're engaged in illegal activity I believe you've waived your right to privacy.

Not true this is why a judge has to sign a search warrant for the government to search your house. The authorities have to convince a judge that there is enough evidence that you are engaging in illegal activity, not just that you are suspected of engaging in illegal activity. In the USA you are "suppose" to be innocent until found guilty by a jury of your peers

Serenoa 03-21-2013 02:13 PM

gosh, I thought one simple phone call & the POlice would roll up, kick my neighbor's door in & steal all of his guns just on my word alone, no questions asked.

get real.

2BNTV 03-21-2013 02:40 PM

It seems to me the $500 would be available if the person reported did have an illegal gun/s. I don't think this program will make a dent in the amount of illegal guns taken off the street. IMHO

Heartnsoul 03-21-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenoa (Post 646192)
gosh, I thought one simple phone call & the POlice would roll up, kick my neighbor's door in & steal all of his guns just on my word alone, no questions asked.

get real.

Real is the story that just occurred when the father who was a trained safety officer of guns and his son who was holding a gun had their home raided by police and social services . Fortunately the man was smart enough to know his constitutional rights and called his attorney.