Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   In-Area ID? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/area-id-73204/)

uujudy 03-21-2013 06:59 PM

In-Area ID?

My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-)

After having some health issues, she will be moving to an independent living facility near us next month, in Sumter County. I checked the District Gov website to see what I could do to get her an In-Area guest pass, and this is what the website says:

". . . A resident who has a son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses) who reside in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties may apply for an In-Area Guest ID card. . . The In-Area Guest ID card for qualified family members is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance."

Are these the only relatives who are covered by the In-Area Guest ID card? What about my husband's 89-year-old mother? Does anyone here have any experience with a situation like ours? Has anyone had their mother move nearby?

What would she use it for, you ask? Maybe nothing... but this woman LOVES having her Villages Guest ID! lol I would really like to get one for her if I can.

Thanks for any information,
Judy

buggyone 03-21-2013 08:22 PM

No, she is NOT eligible for the in-area guest pass under any circumstance. It is ONLY the son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses). Parents, parents-in-law, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc are all excluded.

Bogie Shooter 03-21-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uujudy (Post 646356)
My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-)

After having some health issues, she will be moving to an independent living facility near us next month, in Sumter County. I checked the District Gov website to see what I could do to get her an In-Area guest pass, and this is what the website says:

". . . A resident who has a son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses) who reside in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties may apply for an In-Area Guest ID card. . . The In-Area Guest ID card for qualified family members is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance."

Are these the only relatives who are covered by the In-Area Guest ID card? What about my husband's 89-year-old mother? Does anyone here have any experience with a situation like ours? Has anyone had their mother move nearby?

What would she use it for, you ask? Maybe nothing... but this woman LOVES having her Villages Guest ID! lol I would really like to get one for her if I can.

Thanks for any information,
Judy

Why not call to get this information?
Customer Service Center
3201 Wedgewood Lane
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-753-4508 •

njbchbum 03-21-2013 09:55 PM

i'd sure give it a shot to ask for a favor to please my mother!!!

and if that didn't work, i'd scan one of her old guest passes into my computer and massage the details until I made it look like the real thing!

my mother is worth ANY infraction the villages can throw at me!

chuckinca 03-21-2013 10:12 PM

Use her old address and get a annual pass - since she isn't using the pass, she won't have to show proof of her address.

chuckinca 03-21-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 646385)
No, she is NOT eligible for the in-area guest pass under any circumstance. It is ONLY the son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses). Parents, parents-in-law, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc are all excluded.

Crazy rule - you can't have your mother or father, brother or sister as a guest!

Barefoot 03-21-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uujudy (Post 646356)
My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-) Judy

That is so cute! I bet if you explained the situation, they would bend the rules and issue a Guest ID Card. They're not heartless, and this situation is unique!

CFrance 03-21-2013 10:38 PM

That's so sweet.

Since she's not going to use it, just tell her her last ID is still good!

downeaster 03-22-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 646452)
Crazy rule - you can't have your mother or father, brother or sister as a guest!

You can get a guest pass for about anyone if they reside outside the tri-county area.. It is the in area guest passes that are restricted. They had to restrict the area guess passes to prevent over usage of facilities.

downeaster 03-22-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 646454)
That is so cute! I bet if you explained the situation, they would bend the rules and issue a Guest ID Card. They're not heartless, and this situation is unique!

I doubt if they would bend the rules. If they started bending the rules they would have to bend them for others. Keep in mind these rules were put in place for the benefit of residents. A lot of facilities are already over crowded. Bending the rules would create more overcrowding. That is not what we want to happen.

downeaster 03-22-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 646435)
i'd sure give it a shot to ask for a favor to please my mother!!!

and if that didn't work, i'd scan one of her old guest passes into my computer and massage the details until I made it look like the real thing!

my mother is worth ANY infraction the villages can throw at me!

Maybe this is something you would do but I hope it would not become common practice. We rely on the honesty and integrity of our fellow residents

Bogie Shooter 03-22-2013 09:41 AM

OP should have contacted Customer Service and explained......rather than posting on TOTV and opening a big can of worms.
Most times discretion can get results.

uujudy 03-22-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the great information. You're ALL right, of course. I shouldn't have opened up my big mouth (or big fat fingers).

I'll give Customer Service a call, but rules are rules.

Thanks for your replies,
Judy

njbchbum 03-22-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 646577)
Maybe this is something you would do but I hope it would not become common practice. We rely on the honesty and integrity of our fellow residents

downeaster - I learned long ago to never rely on the honesty and integrity of anyone except my personal moral compass...and it has served me well!

Bizdoc 03-23-2013 04:07 PM

Before you call, (and do think carefully before you answer) - What will your mother's legal address be when she moves? Where will she file her income taxes from? Where will her bills and pension/banking information be delivered?

I'm not saying that you should lie, but if the answer to where her "legal" residence is *your home*, then she's living in your home (even if she temporarily in a nursing home).

Just saying...