Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Central Florida vs Coastal regions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/central-florida-vs-coastal-regions-73280/)

JourneyOfLife 03-23-2013 08:41 AM

Central Florida vs Coastal regions

Why did you choose to be in Central Florida instead of a Coastal Region.

When I began considering going to Florida seasonally during retirement, I was influenced by my past visits to Florida during vacations. Since we always vacationed on the coast, that was my idea of Florida. Now I am broadening my definition to include central Florida.

I thought it would be nice to hear why you chose Central Florida. If your reason is because it is where TV is located, please note it. IOW, if TV were in Fort Myers you would be there. It may seem like a meaningless distinction... but you may have chosen a the community for other reasons... regardless of geographic location.

Polar Bear 03-23-2013 08:47 AM

Both for me actually. I'm moving to live in TV, but I've never been tied to the coast. I like the few more hills, the more north-Fla feel, and accessibility (reasonability proximity) to lots of areas...both coasts, Orlando, Tampa Bay, et. Al.

justjim 03-23-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife (Post 647020)

When I began considering going to Florida seasonally during retirement, I was influenced by my past visits to Florida during vacations. Since we always vacationed on the coast, that was my idea of Florida. Now I am broadening my definition to include central Florida.

I thought it would be nice to hear why you chose Central Florida. If your reason is because it is where TV is located, please note it. IOW, if TV were in Fort Myers you would be there. It may seem like a meaningless distinction... but you may have chosen a the community for other reasons... regardless of geographic location.

We rented a condo in Ft Myers just prior to retirement to see how we might like it. Bottom line----it was too congested for us. We drove over to Central Florida to see what was available. As they say, the rest is history. Oh, one other thing, we spent some time looking over Arizona too---didn't care for all the "brown tones." :ho:

KayakerNC 03-23-2013 09:44 AM

I love the West Coast, from Port Richey down to Naples....but Hwys 19 and 41 are really a big PITA. Then again, Florida traffic is always fun.

memason 03-23-2013 09:44 AM

I chose central Florida because the Morse family did....Simple as that.

LI SNOWBIRD 03-23-2013 10:25 AM

Me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 647041)

Because that's where TV is.

Barefoot 03-23-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

We originally really wanted to be close to the ocean. But we also chose central Florida because the Morse family did!

KayakerNC 03-23-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

However, moving next door to the Morse's may be out.:highfive:

Golf-Tinker 03-23-2013 10:51 AM

Property Insurance

Coastal property insurance rates are extremely high because of hurricane storm damage in recent years.

Many owners of coastal property have been forced to self insure because they either cannot find an insurer or they cannot afford the cost of property insurance.

TV property rates are much less ... So far.

senior citizen 03-23-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife (Post 647020)

For the past 48 years we have vacationed each year on both coasts of Florida; the east coast up and down.........as well as the gulf coast, ditto. We explored it all.

The only time we went to central Florida was every April school vacation to take the kids to Disney World for a week.......for about 15 years; saw it grow from the very beginning to basically what it is today.

Each time we moved to Florida, we moved to both the east coast and the gulf coast.

However, we were very very pleasantly surprised by the rolling hills and the "green" of north central Florida where The Villages is located.

We hadn't seen that part of central Florida since 1965 when we were on the Florida Turnpike heading to Miami Beach and to us, the terrain seemed to look like Africa. It has changed, for sure.

Central Florida is a well kept little secret...........a jewel of a place.

We've lived on the beach. A bit scary when a big black storm is approaching and they tell you not to go near the windows......amazing to watch it come in from either the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.......

However, as far as beaches go.........Sanibel Island and Captiva Island over the causeway from Fort Myers (where the airport is) is still a fave.
Unspoiled the last we saw it...........great seashells. The condos there are now untouchable in price.

RedChariot 03-23-2013 12:26 PM

We are here in Central Fl because this is where TV is. Like you said if this community was in Fort Meyers we would be there. I am disappointed in Central Fl weather. Sorry it is so cold for so long. Would prefer the ocean type weather. Didn't want the hurricanes. We checked out coastal North Carolina. 50% less hurricanes than FL?? Maybe. TV community was better.

billethkid 03-23-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Me too!!

I don't think there is anything else that would have drawn us here if TV were not in existence.

btk

duffysmom 03-23-2013 12:54 PM

I've lived directly on the ocean on a barriar island as well as Key Biscayne. The living was good but we became disillusioned after we were hit with 3 major hurricanes and lost a great deal of the beach and access for our home for a period of time. Also we were becoming bored with the lack of activities; you can only walk/watch the ocean for so long. We NEVER considered living in central Florida until we visited TV; we've never looked back. We feel priviledged to be living the good life in CF with some of the best people on the planet. :MOJE_whot:

PS As you ride along the coasts of Florida you don't see open spaces, just high rise buildings, tons of concrete and few green spaces.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-23-2013 01:04 PM

We bought in TV for one reason and one reason only: Because it's TV. Whether/when we move there permanently or not is another set of circumstances altogether........ :D

Bill :)

Cantwaittoarrive 03-23-2013 01:22 PM

I love costal Florida but moved to TV for the lifestyle. However, that doesn't mean giving up the coasts. I now live within 1 and 1/2 hours of some of the best beaches in Florida on either coast. I'm also 3 hours away from Jupiter and watching my beloved Cardinals during the month of March which I do several different times. So for me this is the best of both worlds.