Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What's your favorite day trip to the beach? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/whats-your-favorite-day-trip-beach-73377/)

Dafoe 03-24-2013 01:18 PM

What's your favorite day trip to the beach?

For those of you who've been in TV for a bit, what is your favorite closest day trip beach?

Mack184 03-24-2013 01:53 PM

St. Pete Beach. Lunch at Sea Critters Cafe in Pass-A-Grille and if we're lucky enough for it to be more than 1 day a stay at the Don CeSar.

Happinow 03-24-2013 02:12 PM

No Don Cesar

Just looked Don Cesar hotel on Tripadvisor at St Pete's and it appears that the hotel is less than stellar. Must have gone down hill since you stayed. Will look for more hotels in the area.

Deter1 03-24-2013 02:29 PM

Daytona Beach with lunch at the NorthTurn is a great time. Or New Smyrna Beach with lunch at the Breakers on the Beach. Or Tarpon Springs at the Sponge docks, lunch at Dimitris and dessert at Hellas Bakery.
Too many day trips available!

Mack184 03-24-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 647758)
Just looked Don Cesar hotel on Tripadvisor at St Pete's and it appears that the hotel is less than stellar. Must have gone down hill since you stayed. Will look for more hotels in the area.

Odd..we have stayed there 3 times in the past year (a total of 18 days) and found everything to be more than stellar. They went out of their way to make things excellent for our anniversary in September. It is in fact our FAVORITE hotel anywhere. Must be we're just "down hill" people.

Bonnevie 03-24-2013 05:17 PM

I live near St. Pete and the Don as it's called is considered top notch. There's also a place called Tradewinds resort that's nice in the same area.

Happinow 03-24-2013 05:23 PM

More than one Don

Maybe there's more than one Don hotel?? I'll look again and see if I can find the right one. Wasn't implying you were down hill people. Just thought it may have been a while since you last visited. Don't take things so personal.

John_W 03-24-2013 05:37 PM

http://www.highwingimages.com/uploads/DonCesar.JPG

The Don Cesar is the big pink building that sits in the middle of St. Pete Beach. There use to be two big pink hotels in downtown St. Pete called the Vinoy and the Soreno. The Yankees stayed at Soreno until 1962, then they moved spring training to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not a Yankee fan, but once rode my bike by the Soreno and Yogi Berra was sitting on the bench out front, I still have his autograph.

I've never stayed at the Don, but it's always been considered top notch.

justjim 03-24-2013 05:43 PM

New Smyrna Beach

We like to pack our own lunch and motor over to New Smyrna Beach and tailgate out of the back of our minivan right on the beach. We walk the beach and enjoy the sun and move to the chairs under the beach umbrella before returning to TV before dark. :thumbup:

eweissenbach 03-24-2013 05:46 PM

We like Fred Howard park beach in Tarpon Springs for a quick trip to the gulf. Nice beach, good parking, and not as crowded as some of the other beaches as it is cleverly hidden:-) New Smyrna is our fav on the Atlantic, and the Breakers is a fun place to have a cocktail and eat. A little farther on the gulf is Siesta Key beach, south of Sarasota, but parking is not always easy. Neat little Key West type downtown area.

CFrance 03-24-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 647901)
We like to pack our own lunch and motor over to New Smyrna Beach and tailgate out of the back of our minivan right on the beach. We walk the beach and enjoy the sun and move to the chairs under the beach umbrella before returning to TV before dark. :thumbup:

We're not hoity-toity people, ourselves. Your day trip sounds lovely.

Mack184 03-24-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 647893)
Maybe there's more than one Don hotel?? I'll look again and see if I can find the right one. Wasn't implying you were down hill people. Just thought it may have been a while since you last visited. Don't take things so personal.

There are actually TWO parts of "The Don". There is the main hotel, and then there is The Don CeSar Beach House. The Beach House is a couple blocks north of the main hotel. The Beach House offers what amounts to efficiency apartments with kitchens and is made for families.

There are many things that impress us about "The Don". The thing that I am most impressed about is that the staff actually remembers our names. When we have returned for a visit the valet & bellmen greet us by name saying "It's good to see you again" when we are getting out of our car.

When we came for our anniversary and opened the door to our room there was a huge vase of red roses there for my wife compliments of Nik Bhola the hotel manager.

We have never been disappointed at any time when we've stayed at "The Pink Palace".

justjim 03-24-2013 06:15 PM

Good overnight

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack184 (Post 647917)
There are actually TWO parts of "The Don". There is the main hotel, and then there is The Don CeSar Beach House. The Beach House is a couple blocks north of the main hotel. The Beach House offers what amounts to efficiency apartments with kitchens and is made for families.

There are many things that impress us about "The Don". The thing that I am most impressed about is that the staff actually remembers our names. When we have returned for a visit the valet & bellmen greet us by name saying "It's good to see you again" when we are getting out of our car.

When we came for our anniversary and opened the door to our room there was a huge vase of red roses there for my wife compliments of Nik Bhola the hotel manager.

We have never been disappointed at any time when we've stayed at "The Pink Palace".

Sounds like a friendly and great place to spend a couple of special nights.

bkcunningham1 03-24-2013 07:18 PM

Hands down Fort De Soto Park. Pinellas County, Florida, Park & Conservation Resources - Fort De Soto Park

Although not on the ocean or the bay, Carney Island Park is really a nice day out and it is right next door. https://plus.google.com/104125299256...0/photos?hl=en

Carney Island offers three walking trails | Ocala.com

sjdjmd 03-24-2013 09:01 PM

We enjoy Ormond Beach which is a small town just north of Daytona Beach. Great beach and good restaurants.