Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Just For Fun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/)
-   -   Have you ever... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/have-you-ever-73398/)

LI SNOWBIRD 03-24-2013 06:31 PM

Have you ever...

[SIZE="5" ]taken part in a civil demonstration? I went to college '67-'72 and participated in my share of anti-war demonstrations and gatherings. It was the time of hippies and free love ( though I was a hostage in the sexual revolution). I know this is dated and sexist , but I also participated in a panty raid which had a couple of hundred horny college males. i will say it was spectaularly unsucessful -- though an experience.

I worked as a civil servent and picketed the local government building non-violently when the employer staged a lock out.
So that was is my callow youth when I was in " My salad days,
When I was green in judgment, cold in blood".

I certainly hope you can remember when.[/SIZE]
:rant-rave:

DougB 03-24-2013 07:06 PM

Protested at the Republican Convention in Miami Beach in 1972. Got gassed by the police. Also participated in a "sit-in at the "U". I think that was about the same year.

quirky3 03-25-2013 07:13 AM

Yes, Richard Nixon came to Syracuse and we protested. We sang "The Sounds of Silence". That is an oldie but goodie, like all of the protesters now!

DandyGirl 03-25-2013 07:34 AM

I came from a small town but we had a park named Peace Park. A group of us staged a protest against the Vietnam War. I was 8 months pregnant and carried a sign stating "I don't want my child to go to war!". :shocked:

DonH57 03-25-2013 08:48 AM

Don't really know as it counts as large civil disobedience but while staying in New york City for 3 days I went down to the march on wall street and walked around. Checked out the group of protestors and took pictures. I'm not sure how many of those people knew what they were there for and the police were everywhere. I had a good time.

eremite06 03-25-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 647942)
Protested at the Republican Convention in Miami Beach in 1972. Got gassed by the police. Also participated in a "sit-in at the "U". I think that was about the same year.

Soon after the convention things fired up in Miami. I was involved with the VVAW (Vietnam Veterans Against the War). We demonstrated outside the Veterans hospital. Chained ourselves to the fence. Marched in protest against the war and to impeach Nixon.

We were permanently banned from Homestead Air Force base for passing out info leaflets in the enlisted barracks.

I had the FBI knock on my door and the agent asked me about one of our leaders.

Three years later, I was a member of "the establishment" as a civil servant/first responder.

quirky3 03-25-2013 10:19 AM

The Syracuse University marching band was in Washington DC for one of their games, and we got caught in a tear gas incident related to protesters there.

tucson 03-25-2013 11:50 AM

Pro-Life March in Washington,DC in 1998

Taltarzac725 03-25-2013 12:31 PM

Was part of a human chain of 17,000 people wrapped around Rocky Flats back in October of 1983. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Flats_Plant

I was trying to impress some woman but cannot remember which one exactly. I was in the Denver University Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management for my MA. There were a lot of women in the program many of them single. So, I was there more for something else rather than the nuclear weapons protest.

redwitch 08-09-2013 10:15 AM

Never protested against Nam for several reasons. My brother served three tours (hated every second of it but felt he could save some lives); was a good Army brat and could never disrespect my father by protesting regardless of what I felt; had a full scholarship and couldn't afford to lose it.

I was fortunate to have a brother who felt civil rights were important and took me to the Freedom March when I was 12 and I had the privilege of hearing Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech. I've never forgotten the bus ride, the marching, the fear and the jubilation and I pray I never will.