Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   IE 10 not compitable with Comcast Email (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/ie-10-not-compitable-comcast-email-73468/)

784caroline 03-25-2013 03:13 PM

IE 10 not compitable with Comcast Email

Computer did an automatic download last night of Internet Explorer 10.....when I tried to access my email today, I could see what new mail I had but I could NOt open the individual Emails. After many calls and disconnects with Comcast I finally determined there was a non-compitability problem between IE10 and Comcast Mail....internet worked fine. Comcast will tell you its a computer problem and that I should switch to Chrome or some other browser.

I UNINSTALLED Internet 10 and IE 9 came back up. I now have my mail.

Can some one tell me how do I "prevent" IE 10 from being automatically installed in the future????

villages07 03-25-2013 03:20 PM

I have a new Dell touchscreen desktop with Windows 8 and IE 10....having similar problems with IE 10 and Yahoo Mail. Firefox works fine for yahoo mail.

I did read a workaround that had to do with disabling add-ons but haven't pursued it yet. Between firefox and the ipad I have many other ways to get to yahoo mail, but, it is annoying that IE 10 won't work.

red tail 03-25-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 648436)
Computer did an automatic download last night of Internet Explorer 10.....when I tried to access my email today, I could see what new mail I had but I could NOt open the individual Emails. After many calls and disconnects with Comcast I finally determined there was a non-compitability problem between IE10 and Comcast Mail....internet worked fine. Comcast will tell you its a computer problem and that I should switch to Chrome or some other browser.

Can some one tell me how do I "prevent" IE 10 from being automatically installed in the future????

quit using auto updates

spk7951 03-25-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 648436)

My computer was set for auto updates until this IE10 update last week. Totally locked IE for me so I changed the settings so that no Microsoft updates would run without my ok. One of the reasons that I also use Google Chrome as an Internet search engine. You can change the settings in the control panel.

2BNTV 03-26-2013 08:55 AM

It's alays good to have another internet browser like Firefox along with IE9.

I had the same problem going from IE8 to 9. Lost my ability to communicste on e-mail with Optimum in CT. Worked with Firefox with no problem. Never got to the bottom of it but it's alright as i don't have Optimum anymore.

I agree that you shouldn't have automatic updates as I think it's best you have the option to change versions with your approval. I remember when Java updates were causing problems and I chose not to instal them.

zcaveman 03-26-2013 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I was debating as to whether I should put IE10 on my system. I guess that is a no for now.

Z

Virtual Geezer 03-27-2013 05:50 AM

Running IE10 under Windows 7 and Windows 8 with no problems. I use Outlook 2007, along with accounts on Gmail and Hotmail and have NO e-mail problems.

Problem most likely resides with your e-mail compatibility. Using IE on the URL line you will see a small icon that looks like a piece of paper that has been torn in half. Click on that and see what happens.

Your e-mail program may not be up to the current standards of HTML5.

VG

CFrance 03-27-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer (Post 649309)
Running IE10 under Windows 7 and Windows 8 with no problems. I use Outlook 2007, along with accounts on Gmail and Hotmail and have NO e-mail problems.

Problem most likely resides with your e-mail compatibility. Using IE on the URL line you will see a small icon that looks like a piece of paper that has been torn in half. Click on that and see what happens.

Your e-mail program may not be up to the current standards of HTML5.

VG

WHEN will you be moving here permanently, VG? You have all the answers!:024: