Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Video conversions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/video-conversions-73515/)

zonerboy 03-26-2013 09:11 AM

Video conversions

Sorting thru some stuff recently and came across some VHS video tapes.
I'd like to convert them to DVD format before the tapes break or degenerate in quality any further. Also found some cassettes from from a video camera which I no longer have and might consider converting some of them as well.
Does anyone know of a villager or a business in The Villages who can do a good job on such conversions???
Just hooked up my old VHS tape player last nite and my wife and I watched a video of our wedding 25 years ago. Very much fun. Would like to per serve these memories.

stuckinparadise 03-26-2013 09:13 AM

I'm not sure about anyone in the Villagers but I had several VHS tapes of my children put on DVD through Walmart. The price wasn't bad and I made two copies so the kids could have them as well.

Bavarian 03-26-2013 09:46 AM

Does your PC have a DVD burner? You can get conversion cables and software from Roxio. Record your tapes to hard drive, edit them if you want then burn to DVD writable disk. DVD +/- R are cheap, can not me re-recorded, but you want to save them.

You could also buy standalone DVD recorder and connect video/audio out to in. Not sure if they still exist. I have one from many years, so can use either method. (I also bought a new VHS tape deck awhile back, never opened. My backup for when VHS goes away.

Bogie Shooter 03-26-2013 10:14 AM

I had Video Vault Prod in Belleview do some 8mm for me. Very professional and well done. Video Vault Productions

KEVIN & JOSIE 03-26-2013 10:52 AM

Don't know if you want to do it yourself, but I purchased a very inexpensive dual deck VHS DVD recorder. They have a dubbing feature where you can put the VHS tape in, a new DVD-R disc in, press dubbing, and walk away and it will copy the VHS to the DVD. I found it very simple to do, and I need and like simple!

TommyT 03-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE (Post 648886)
Don't know if you want to do it yourself, but I purchased a very inexpensive dual deck VHS DVD recorder. They have a dubbing feature where you can put the VHS tape in, a new DVD-R disc in, press dubbing, and walk away and it will copy the VHS to the DVD. I found it very simple to do, and I need and like simple!

Want to rent the machine out or sell? I have about 30 tapes I need to convert to DVDs.

Tommy

KEVIN & JOSIE 03-26-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 648978)
Want to rent the machine out or sell? I have about 30 tapes I need to convert to DVDs.

Tommy

Tommy, I would love to help you but currently still freezing in PA. I did look and found an inexpensive device at Walmart that seems to have a relatively good customer review. The good thing about Walmart is if the item does not work to your satisfaction, you can return it for a full refund. I attached a link for the device. If you page through their offerings, you may find a recorder where you can dub from VHS to DVD. I have a JVC duel deck VHS DVD recorder, that can record on DVD or VHS. Mine has the dubbing capability. I can dub from VHS to DVD or DVD to VHS. Hope this helps.

Honestech 5.0 Deluxe Video Conversion Software - Walmart.com

ronat1 03-26-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonerboy (Post 648805)
Sorting thru some stuff recently and came across some VHS video tapes.
I'd like to convert them to DVD format before the tapes break or degenerate in quality any further. Also found some cassettes from from a video camera which I no longer have and might consider converting some of them as well.
Does anyone know of a villager or a business in The Villages who can do a good job on such conversions???
Just hooked up my old VHS tape player last nite and my wife and I watched a video of our wedding 25 years ago. Very much fun. Would like to per serve these memories.

If you are so inclined, you can purchase and download a computer program via the internet called "Easy VHS to DVD" made by Roxio that will perform the coversion easily at home via your computer. You just hook up your VCR to the computer and off you go. I did this myself as it is very easy and the quality was excellent. I converted VHS tapes/movies and older video camera tapes to DVD that we watch via the DVD player on our large screen TV. We also watched our wedding and reception videos that I converted to DVD. Makes us really glad we did it ourselves.

zonerboy 03-26-2013 06:53 PM

Video conversions

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The Roxio solution sounds interesting, since it permits editing.
However my VHS tape player has signal output only via 75 ohm coaxial cable, or three color audio/video cables. My computer does not have input ports for these types of cables, so how do I get the tapes to transfer in to the computer???

Bavarian 03-27-2013 11:04 AM

The full Roxio kit has the video to USB converter with it. Around $50-$70 depending where you buy it. Check the Internet, Amazon, CompUSA, Best Buy etc.