Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Invisible Fences and Pet Doors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/invisible-fences-pet-doors-73691/)

Joan Testa 03-28-2013 11:17 AM

Invisible Fences and Pet Doors

I would appreciate hearing from Villagers who have had invisible fencing installed as to which company they chose, why, and their feeling about the company. Seems there are two different companies who claim to be the best in TV. What's your experience?
Also, I read that alligators and snakes get in pet doors. It this a common occurence or a real exception and does anyone know a way to prevent this?

Barefoot 03-28-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan Testa (Post 649981)
I would appreciate hearing from Villagers who have had invisible fencing installed as to which company they chose, why, and their feeling about the company. Seems there are two different companies who claim to be the best in TV. What's your experience?
Also, I read that alligators and snakes get in pet doors. It this a common occurence or a real exception and does anyone know a way to prevent this?

We used Dogwatch out of Ocala. They were fabulous, especially with the training process. We have an invisible fence which we use to contain our 70 lb Lollipop and our 10 lb Biggins. If you would like to see our invisible fence in operation, please PM me. It's important to know that when your pets are outside, they must be supervised.

Polar Bear 06-07-2013 07:58 PM

We're considering a home that backs up to O'Dell Circle. We love it but are concerned for our dogs. Would a properly installed invisible fence (and proper owner training) guarantee that our dogs would not run out into traffic? Are they that reliable when done right?

By the way, our dogs are well behaved and I have little concern for their safety even without the invisible fence. But I don't want to take any chances. What do you think?

bike42 06-07-2013 08:10 PM

I also recommend Dogwatch; they have installed fences on two homes for us and are just excellent.
I agree with Barefoot that the dogs must be supervised even when you have total confidence that the fence is working.
Backing up to a busy road -- I don't think my dogs would cross their fence line but there's so much at stake -- how about putting the fence so they are not in that area? Ask the Dogwatch guys for their advice on how to configure the fence to solve the problem.

DonH57 06-07-2013 08:34 PM

I agree that whether it's dog watch or invisible fence brand are great choices and it's always best to supervise your dog when it's out in the event predators may show up.

John_W 06-07-2013 10:36 PM

This house had a doggie door.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/euhaYbQ9vqA/mqdefault.jpg

This house didn't have a doggie door.

http://blog.taragana.com/pet/wp-cont...or-at-door.jpg

Bonnevie 06-08-2013 07:00 AM

never had an animal come thru my dog door. I close it at night.

GeoGeo 06-08-2013 11:19 AM

We have never had anything come through out doggie door, either. Just because we haven't had anything come through so far....it is always a possibility.

Also, we did have a dog who would not stop when wearing a shock collar. It would probably depend upon the type of dog you have. Ours had a strong prey drive. He wanted to chase things....no matter what. Either way...I would not fully trust the invisible fence. It might be fine if you are there to supervise, but I wouldn't take the chance of leaving my dog out there by him/herself. Again, I think it depends on the dog.

Barefoot 06-08-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 688643)
Would a properly installed invisible fence (and proper owner training) guarantee that our dogs would not run out into traffic?

I think there are no guarantees that your dogs wouldn't go through the invisible fence if they spotted something irresistible. You just can't take that kind of a chance. My dog won't go through the fence after ducks, even when the ducks come up to the boundary to tease them. So the fence is very effective. But we back on open space. I wouldn't trust the dogs, ever, around traffic.

Polar Bear 06-08-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoGeo (Post 688917)
...It might be fine if you are there to supervise, but I wouldn't take the chance of leaving my dog out there by him/herself.

Agree. We have no intention of leaving the dogs out unsupervised. It would just be to make it easier to contain them in the "okay" part of the yard, allowing (especially after some time) a bit more a casual time in the yard.