Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Best Electric Cart to buy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/best-electric-cart-buy-73823/)

cordenny 03-29-2013 06:56 PM

Best Electric Cart to buy

I would like to know what type of electric cart people have in TV and if they are happy with them. What make do you have and how many batteries.

I would appreciate some guidance.

Buckeye 03-29-2013 07:02 PM

I have a Par Car but I am rethinking my choice because I have experienced many mechanical and battery problems.
I also look forward to your responses from Club, EZGO, and Yamaha owners.

Bosoxfan 03-29-2013 07:09 PM

EZ Go RXV...by far the best electric out there.Drive one and see

rubicon 03-29-2013 07:55 PM

My repair guy has repeatedly indicated that he favor the Club Car DS seies. he does not like the Precedent which I own , does like the front ends on Par Car, won't comment on Tomberlain Merge and never mentioned the EZ Go

FMF Doc 03-29-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 650842)

:BigApplause::BigApplause::agree:

blueash 03-29-2013 08:51 PM

Have a 2 yr old EZGO. When I ordered it I paid for an upgrade from their 4 x 12 to 6 x 8 batteries. So far, perfect and it gets heavy use.

George Bieniaszek 03-30-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 650842)

Another vote for the EZGO RXV!!!!

I have a 2010 with over 7,000 miles on it and it gave me absolutely no problems. I have the 4/12 volt batteries and if I would do it again, I think I would opt for the 6/8 volts for greater range.

I replaced my batteries recently and have no range issues going from Pennecamp to play golf at Briarwood or Oakleigh and back just to give you a real world experience on the range.

One suggestion is to also buy a Battery Minder to decrease the chance of sulfur deposits on your batteries.

ajbrown 03-30-2013 09:20 AM

My carts

If I was in the market today, I would also be looking at used EZGO/AC and researching the Yamaha electric with room for 8-6v batteries.....but alas I am not, so...

Whenever I am in a conversation like this, the first thing I point out is the word best is very subjective. Best for what?

For my wife and I, we wanted:
  • two carts and they had to be electric.
  • Cost. We wanted two carts, there was no way in heck, I would drop 8-12K on a cart. For goodness sake, it is just a golf cart :ohdear:
  • Next I knew that a golf cart is not a car, there are not that many moving parts and even a guy like me could fix a used one. Show me a car that skips during acceleration and I may take 45 minutes to get the hood open, but on an electric cart I could probably isolate the issue with help from Internet experts.
  • It had to have 6-8V batteries minimum, the battery pack configuration had to go 30 miles minimum range per charge for 3 years.
  • Parts availability.

That led me into the used market. For us the best carts are two 2002 Club Car DS models, one has 6-8V and one has 8-6V packs. A cart like this costs around $1800 - $2500 in a private sale. These carts meet my minimum requirements for range which is Mallory to Lopez for golf and back through Spanish Springs for a bite. When I get home, I know I have charge left for more miles, but if I want to go somewhere, I take the second cart, that is how I get 80 miles per day :ho:

The other thing I love about Club Car is the availability of parts. Since I fix my own, this mattered. To be clear, I cannot think of the last time I had an issue, they just run. I found Par Car was very difficult to get parts for when compared to other brands.

What is not best about my carts?
  • These carts will slow down going uphill. In the hills of Malory (Odell) there are some tough hills. One cart will slow to 16MPH. EZGO/AC drive will not slow down, so if going up a hill without slowing is high on your list, you do not want a stock Club Car. There were no EZGO AC used carts available yet when I bought, maybe in 2016 if I am around.
  • My carts are not spanking new, so you may need to tweak stuff like the steering or brakes. Easy peasy DIY or relatively in expensive to have someone do it…..
  • Since I bought used, I needed to understand enough about carts to buy one in a private sale. I was amazed at the carts people tried to sell.

GOOD LUCK!

Fourpar 03-31-2013 01:38 PM

:BigApplause:
As always, on target with useful info!

jebartle 03-31-2013 01:58 PM

How can you not love Tessie....

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...verconvert.jpg

Villages Kahuna 03-31-2013 02:44 PM

E-z-go rxv!!

Drive one and see.They go just as fast uphill as downhill with their totally electronic drive system. One other thing--the E-Z-GO is a couple inches wider than any of the other golf cars. When you test drive it, bring the missus, sit side-by-side and see what I mean.

There's no question. The E-Z-GO RXV is a top choice.

jimbo2012 03-31-2013 02:59 PM

Ok the lighter the cart the further it will go, I assume we will agree on that.

It takes more power uses more battery amps to run/push a heavier cart.

Club cars have an aluminum frame, and R about 100lbs lighter.

So my vote is Club Cars.

capecodkev 03-31-2013 03:17 PM

where is the best place to buy an EZ GO?

Buckeye 04-01-2013 07:29 AM

I know Par Car has 8-6volts along with Yamaha.
How about EZGO and Club carts.
What is the most amount of batteries you can place in them??

TomSpasm 04-01-2013 10:45 AM

Club Car DS

My research last year led me to buy a used 2008 Club Car DS in very good condition with 4x12v batteries and switch them out to 8x6v batteries for max range. Costs time and money for that upgrade, but it works for me and so far, range is not an issue in any way, shape or form...