Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   A corner lot ...or not (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/corner-lot-not-73836/)

Hopeful2 03-29-2013 10:28 PM

A corner lot ...or not

We are about to purchase a new designer and are trying to decide whether we want a corner lot. We like having the breathing room space that a corner can provide, but are concerned about additional noise from car traffic on the side. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

l2ridehd 03-30-2013 06:01 AM

Really depends on the corner. Do either of the streets show up in bold print in the Villages map? Do either of the streets have a cart trail along the side? If it is an interior lot so neither is a busy street and the house is or can be positioned on the lot so in the future you could add a golf cart garage, go for it. By that I mean make sure the driveway is on the side where the extra space is on the lot. Not next to your neighbor.

jimbo2012 03-30-2013 06:30 AM

corners can have double the passer by's, but id you add a sidewalk to that even more.

It depends on the corner, and you didn't say which one so your input will be limited

graciegirl 03-30-2013 06:32 AM

We love our corner.

skyguy79 03-30-2013 06:56 AM

Every home we've owned or lived in (6) were on a corner lot, including one that was on a busy main road through a village... until we bought here in TV. Having said that I would without a doubt chose a corner lot over not having now been on both. The sound of traffic wasn't that bad to me, but you're the one who has to make the decision in your case. I would however give priority to an inside home and lot we liked more than the corner consideration if it comes down to the insider being more likable!

bonrich 03-30-2013 07:01 AM

More lawn to mow and care for. Also, added expense if you wanted to do extensive landscaping. And it will be a side of the house that you probably will not see from inside.

plimit56 03-30-2013 07:03 AM

We love our corner and it is not noisy at all.

villages07 03-30-2013 07:09 AM

Some factors to consider....

More grass = more irrigation water which is not an insignificant cost here

More exposure to the street so more chance of being a stop-off for doggies

If you are thinking of adding on, be aware of building setbacks... They are more restrictive on sides facing a street.

It all depends on what you back up to, the house orientation, how you plan to use that extra space, and what makes you happy.

gomoho 03-30-2013 08:24 AM

I was determined to buy on a corner lot and well you know what they say about we make plans and God laughs! Anyhow we ended up one house in on an off-set lot and are grateful we don't have all that exta lawn to care for, but still don't feel locked in.

MSG@TV 03-30-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeful2 (Post 650953)
We are about to purchase a new designer and are trying to decide whether we want a corner lot. We like having the breathing room space that a corner can provide, but are concerned about additional noise from car traffic on the side. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

I think it's an individual kind of thing. We now live on a corner lot now that we spent a fortune landscaping. Because we positioned the house on the diagonal, we added a lot of trees for privacy. The house seems to be generating a lot of traffic due to its "curb appeal." We considered surrendering our reserved lot in TV for a corner one so we could do the side stretches we wanted, but we ended up changing our minds. The streets were not busy ones. However, my husband determined that we would have 30 feet of side yard to maintain, but not really get to enjoy much. And, we still wouldn't have enough rear yard where we wanted space. Since I want to reduce my exterior upkeep in retirement, we decided against the corner. Still, I do love our present house situated on a corner!

TarotJames 03-30-2013 11:00 AM

Watch what happens on the corner lots; pet owners bring their dogs to take potty breaks. This also happens at the post office buildings in the villages. Ok if you love dogs on potty breaks in your yard.

Cantwaittoarrive 03-30-2013 02:03 PM

We didn't want a corner lot because we didn't want the maintenance. As far as I'm concerned I would be happy with my house covering property line to property line with no lot at all.

tommy steam 03-30-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarotJames (Post 651132)
Watch what happens on the corner lots; pet owners bring their dogs to take potty breaks. This also happens at the post office buildings in the villages. Ok if you love dogs on potty breaks in your yard.

It's just not corner lots that get the potty breaks, it's all the lots on the street, wherever fido would like to go. :doggie:

gomoho 03-30-2013 05:52 PM

Here we go:boxing2::doggie:

graciegirl 03-30-2013 06:35 PM

We are off to the races and we ate the last popcorn last night.

:doggie::doggie::doggie::doggie::doggie::doggie::d oggie: