Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cleaning Whirlpool Gold Cook Top (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cleaning-whirlpool-gold-cook-top-73898/)

CalcTeacher 03-31-2013 06:41 AM

Cleaning Whirlpool Gold Cook Top

Pardon my cleaning ignorance...but I've had a gas cooktop my whole life.

I'm a snowflake and just cooked for the first time this past week in our new home. We have Whirlpool Gold appliances.

I cannot get the cooktop surface clean! Used a sponge with dishwashing liquid...upgraded to a nylon scrubbie sponge when that didn't work. Tried Windex. Tried a Clorox wipe.

What's the deal? Do you have to buy special cleaner?

tainsley 03-31-2013 06:50 AM

I clean mine with Weiman glass cook top. Purchased it at Walgreens. Works good.

lanabanana73 03-31-2013 06:57 AM

Yes, you need a cleaner made especially for glass cook tops. I also keep a single sided razor blade next to my stove to scrape up any thicker spills before using the cleaner.

LvmyPug2 03-31-2013 07:01 AM

I use carnauba stove top clearer. It shines up the stove like new. It's about $4 at Walmart

CalcTeacher 03-31-2013 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies! Lanabanana: my sister said she cleans hers with a razor blade but her smooth top is about 15 years old...so I thought it wouldn't apply to a newer one. Guess I was wrong (but not about to tell her she was right--hahahaha!).

Tom Grooms 03-31-2013 08:53 AM

Sorry for going off topic but does anybody have an issue with how long it takes to pre heat the oven? Our 1 year old Whirlpool Gold oven takes forever to heat up... :-(

mulligan 03-31-2013 08:59 AM

That's one of the drawbacks of the "hidden" heat element.

graciegirl 03-31-2013 09:00 AM

I have had good glass top cook tops for years now and I always use a brillo pad.

I know you think it will scratch or take off the markings. It doesn't. It is the only thing that will take off the residues that high heat and food leave. I cook a LOT. I scrub hard and sometimes have to do it twice or three times and wipe it off with a clean damp cloth that has been dipped into a solution of dishwashing soap, the liquid kind. Then I dry it with a clean cloth. Looks like new every time.

Try it on a tiny corner. I know that everyone is hesitant when I tell them this.

But DON'T ever use a brillo pad on your stainless steel or on granite. Don't use oven cleaner on your glass top.

See the fifth paragraph down. Now that I have told you what I do, I am terrified it will hurt your new stove.

http://brillo.com/household-helpers_details.asp?tab=0

I JUST cleaned mine just before I read this.

jblum315 03-31-2013 10:09 AM

Must have taken courage to try it the first time, Gracie. I know brillo pads will ruin stainless steel.

renielarson 03-31-2013 10:18 AM

Ceramic top cleaners specifically formulated for glass tops work and also Barkeepers Friend. I, too, use a razor blade to scrape off stubborn burned on residue.

JB in TV 03-31-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalcTeacher (Post 651444)
Pardon my cleaning ignorance...but I've had a gas cooktop my whole life.

I'm a snowflake and just cooked for the first time this past week in our new home. We have Whirlpool Gold appliances.

I cannot get the cooktop surface clean! Used a sponge with dishwashing liquid...upgraded to a nylon scrubbie sponge when that didn't work. Tried Windex. Tried a Clorox wipe.

What's the deal? Do you have to buy special cleaner?

When we bought our new home here in Dec, the package that had the owners manual for the stove included a sample of the cook top cleaner...check yours to see if it was included. It takes very little and looks like it will last a long time.

TunaFish 03-31-2013 12:28 PM

I use Weiman glass cook top cleaner and polish. Got it at Publix. Works great.

Tom Grooms 03-31-2013 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what the wife uses...

applesoffh 03-31-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Grooms (Post 651511)
Sorry for going off topic but does anybody have an issue with how long it takes to pre heat the oven? Our 1 year old Whirlpool Gold oven takes forever to heat up... :-(

Same here, and it's been that way since day 1. Fields appliances said it's because everything is "energy saving" now. I always had a gas stove. This stove is the pits, but I don't think anything but a gas stove will really make me happy...

shalomuall 03-31-2013 08:08 PM

Hi, I use the bottle that was given to us with the instructions for using the stove. Workds great.