Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Too much of good thing or a necessary supplement to good food (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/too-much-good-thing-necessary-supplement-good-food-74098/)

senior citizen 04-03-2013 05:47 AM

Too much of good thing or a necessary supplement to good food

Caltrate 600+D Drug Interactions - Drugs.com=

This is actually an interesting site. Shared with me by a relative......... (click and scroll around site)......

A cousin who is on Coumadin/Warfarin wanted to check out her Caltrate 600D and other such supplements while taking vitamin/mineral supplement such as Centrum Silver.......

The drop down menu shows minor, moderate and major possible interactions among various drugs; always check with your doctor.

Even simple things like vitamins might be better not used, while getting the major nutrients needed from whole foods..............

Who understands the recent reversal , shown on news shows last year, on multi vitamin/mineral useage ???? Was there a reason given at the time???

Several prominent doctors said that these supplements might not be needed after all.............above person is not into dairy products but is at risk for osteoporosis; has osteopenia.....thus the Caltrate.

Is it too much to double up on the calcium carbonate in Caltrate while taking the multi vitamin/mineral such as Centrum Silver???

Centrum has aspartame in it, plus phenylketonurics???

Any experts out there on aspartame and penylketonurics? Possible kidney damage with the latter??

Thanks in advance..............

graciegirl 04-03-2013 05:55 AM

You can overdose on calcium supplements causing a condition called hypercalcemia.

I don't take vitamins or supplements, hoping the sun and the amount of fruits and vegetables and protein in my diet is adequate. Personally I think we eat a lot more than most folks I know of plant based foods. And people who sell supplements will say that the ground lacks the nutrients for the plants that they used to. I say hogwash. You are trying to sell supplements.

Our doctor checks our vitamin D levels.

senior citizen 04-03-2013 06:30 AM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 653042)
You can overdose on calcium supplements causing a condition called hypercalcemia.

I don't take vitamins or supplements, hoping the sun and the amount of fruits and vegetables and protein in my diet is adequate. Personally I think we eat a lot more than most folks I know of plant based foods. And people who sell supplements will say that the ground lacks the nutrients for the plants that they used to. I say hogwash. You are trying to sell supplements.

Our doctor checks our vitamin D levels.

I agree with all of the above.

2BNTV 04-03-2013 08:59 AM

Doctor advised I take a one a day multivitamin and that should be enough.

I use to take two vitamin C, (500mg), if I felt a cold coming on but I wouldn't take vitamins wily nilly but that's just me.