Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Senior Driver (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/senior-driver-74295/)

Bobcuse 04-05-2013 09:36 AM

Senior Driver

I apologize in advance for this but I thought it worthy of sharing:

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. "

My neighbor was working in his yard when he was startled by a late model car that came crashing through his hedge and ended up in his front lawn.
He rushed to help an elderly lady driver out of the car and sat her down on a lawn chair.
He said with excitement, "you appear quite elderly to be driving."
"Well, yes, I am," she replied proudly. "I'll be 97 next month, and I am now old enough that I don't even need a driver's license anymore.
"The last time I went to my doctor, he examined me and asked if I had a driver's license. I told him yes and handed it to him. He took scissors out of the drawer, cut the license into pieces, and threw them in the waste basket, saying,
'You won't need this anymore,' so I thanked him and left!"

NotGolfer 04-05-2013 10:35 AM

I presume this is true! I can understand why the truly elderly continue to drive as it's a form of independence. YIKES!!!! That being said, it must be hard to come to that point where they do indeed have to give up driving! I know we have an elderly relative (90's) who gave up their car about a year and a half ago. ALL we keep hearing is, "I really would like to get my car back! I miss my car!" This person was a bad driver before growing old, so can't imagine them driving at age 90, anywhere!!!!

Been in a car with an 80-something person here in T.V. and THAT was scarey! The round-abouts (could be come a 'circle of death' for sure) were a death-defying feat for sure. Next time, I'll be doing the driving since I'm in my 60's. Dread the day I'll have to hand over the license and the keys!!!

Itsa coming for ALL of us...eventually!

ilovetv 04-05-2013 10:58 AM

A lot of people concerned about ancient drivers that should be taken off the road don't realize that the state motor vehicle department has a method of anonymously reporting a driver whose license should be taken. On the website there is a form for doing this with the person reporting kept anonymous.....

Florida GrandDriver - Official Website

Mikeod 04-05-2013 01:52 PM

I understand the concern about elderly drivers, but the lady in the blue car that ran the stop sign at Del Mar and Rio Grande this afternoon while leaning on the horn at the car that had the temerity to pull in front of her was not elderly and was not young either. Bad driving is not the exclusive province of the elderly or teens.

paulandjean 04-05-2013 04:10 PM

Can you imagine this place in 10-15 years, Now that is scary.

NotGolfer 04-05-2013 04:11 PM

Nor was the woman who passed me (coming out of nowhere btw) while I was passing a slower cart on the diamond trail on Stillwater. Our cart is Street Legal so I was going 25 mph. This lady must have had an emergency somewhere as she left us both in the dust. BTW...the slow cart was going less than 20.......just to clarify! To THAT lady, it's illegal to pass when there is a "double" yellow line!!!! She wasn't elderly neither....so it's NOT just the elderly who aren't driving with common sense.

BobnBev 04-05-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcuse (Post 654189)
I apologize in advance for this but I thought it worthy of sharing:

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. "

My neighbor was working in his yard when he was startled by a late model car that came crashing through his hedge and ended up in his front lawn.
He rushed to help an elderly lady driver out of the car and sat her down on a lawn chair.
"Well, yes, I am," she replied proudly. "I'll be 97 next month, and I am now old enough that I don't even need a driver's license anymore.
"The last time I went to my doctor, he examined me and asked if I had a driver's license. I told him yes and handed it to him. He took scissors out of the drawer, cut the license into pieces, and threw them in the waste basket, saying,

:clap2::clap2::clap2::1rotfl::boom:

bluedog103 04-05-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcuse (Post 654189)

This has been going around the internet for awhile. It showed up in my Inbox twice this week. Good, funny story though. Thanks for sharing.