Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   One Crazy Dog Owner to Possibly Another (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/one-crazy-dog-owner-possibly-another-74440/)

msendo 04-06-2013 06:50 PM

One Crazy Dog Owner to Possibly Another

I know it sounds crazy, but has anyone ever felt the slightest bit of guilt because they had to relocate their dog(s) to TV, along with yourselves? Once our house is sold, we are planning on buying a CYV. This in itself will give my two 'guys' some freedom. My dogs do play in dog parks, though they are empty at times. My husband and I have seen ALL the parks in and out of TV. However, since my husband retired, those spoiled boys are use to walking trails, running and sniffing in large areas, unleashed, and love to go swimming in lakes and rivers. My black lab is drawn to water as if a magnet is pulling him. He would be alligator munch! My German Shepard is active and high maintenance. They also would have to leave my kids, who are attached to them, as well. This wouldn't stop us from leaving and living the life that we are looking to live, but at the same time, I do feel guilty and sad at times. Anybody?

skyc6 04-06-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msendo (Post 655085)
I know it sounds crazy, but has anyone ever felt the slightest bit of guilt because they had to relocate their dog(s) to TV, along with yourselves? Once our house is sold, we are planning on buying a CYV. This in itself will give my two 'guys' some freedom. My dogs do play in dog parks, though they are empty at times. My husband and I have seen ALL the parks in and out of TV. However, since my husband retired, those spoiled boys are use to walking trails, running and sniffing in large areas, unleashed, and love to go swimming in lakes and rivers. My black lab is drawn to water as if a magnet is pulling him. He would be alligator munch! My German Shepard is active and high maintenance. They also would have to leave my kids, who are attached to them, as well. This wouldn't stop us from leaving and living the life that we are looking to live, but at the same time, I do feel guilty and sad at times. Anybody?

Have you thought about how you are going to deal with your guilt and sadness? The activities you talk about are not available here in The Villages.

redwitch 04-06-2013 07:09 PM

I think you'll find many in your position. We move and our pets have to adapt to a whole new way of life with us. They'll adjust. They're with their people and that's much more important to them.

Yes, they'll have to walk on a lead but there are some great running areas where they can run and be walked untethered (very large area on Rio Grande behind the mailboxes -- not a dog park). If they're people dogs, they'll get lots of love and attention from strangers. If typical, they'll love riding in the golf cart.

So, shed a tear or two for what they'll lose and then think of what they'll gain -- happy mommy and daddy, lots of attention, new smells and sounds.

ugotme 04-06-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 655099)
I think you'll find many in your position. We move and our pets have to adapt to a whole new way of life with us. They'll adjust. They're with their people and that's much more important to them.

Yes, they'll have to walk on a lead but there are some great running areas where they can run and be walked untethered (very large area on Rio Grande behind the mailboxes -- not a dog park). If they're people dogs, they'll get lots of love and attention from strangers. If typical, they'll love riding in the golf cart.

So, shed a tear or two for what they'll lose and then think of what they'll gain -- happy mommy and daddy, lots of attention, new smells and sounds.

EXACTLY!

Moved from Long Island to So. Fl. with 2 large dogs. We ALL had to adapt.
But your dog(s) are with the ones they love and you are with them.

Can you really imagine leaving them and coming to TV without them - EVERYONE would be sad and miserable.

Together, you will all be fine. Their tails will be wagging like crazy !

ENJOY !

skyc6 04-06-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotme (Post 655106)
EXACTLY!

Moved from Long Island to So. Fl. with 2 large dogs. We ALL had to adapt.
But your dog(s) are with the ones they love and you are with them.

Can you really imagine leaving them and coming to TV without them - EVERYONE would be sad and miserable.

Together, you will all be fine. Their tails will be wagging like crazy !

ENJOY !

Sadness and Guilt should not be the emotions you are feeling! :)

oot 04-06-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 655099)

I agree. The boys will love riding in the golf cart as their new adventure. Seems like all the dogs love doing that!

We had a house (on a main street) in the city and a house on a lake in the woods up north. Our dog LOVED running free and being on the lake on weekends. But during the week, we played with him he did just fine in the city. He just wanted to be with us!

So never fear - just so long you are there they dogs will be HAPPY!

msendo 04-06-2013 07:57 PM

So true, dogs, being so faithful, are just happy to be with the ones who love them. I know we would adjust. Thanks form the boost. I actually can picture them riding in a golf cart!

CFrance 04-06-2013 08:19 PM

Our dog grew up running free and swimming on our 1.5-mile long gorgeous dog beach in Muskegon, MI, a block or so from our condo. He ran up and down behind our condo from the marina to the house to chase a tennis ball (allowed). He considered being on a leash to be a forced march and an affront to his freedom.

We came here, and the leash went on. I started him out at one-mile walks, after dark because he's hairy and gets hot in the sun, and have worked him up to three miles. He's actually presenting himself to me at 8:30 (how do they know the time???) to get going.

And another new thing he's discovered--lounging out on the front walk on a line, watching the world go by. He loves it.

Would he rather be at the beach? You bet. But as someone said earlier, he'd rather be on a leash with us than not be with us at all.

You'll find things to do with your dogs that they will enjoy. We've discovered a dog beach at the inlet at New Smyrna Beach. It may be just a monthly thing, but after we sell our MI place, we will take him swimming there.

Good luck and don't worry!

paulandjean 04-07-2013 06:40 AM

Maybe you could leave them at home ,where they live now.Lakes, woods and friends.

Taltarzac725 04-07-2013 07:14 AM

Doggie Doo Run Run.

Doggie Doo Run Run has a 5 acre field where dogs can run and do this frequently. It is just about a mile north of Southern Trace Shopping Center near the intersection of CR101 and CR104.

Even though I have not visited them there are good sized parks that allow dogs in Leesburg, Inverness and Ocala. http://barkcentraldogpark.com/index.html

Madelaine Amee 04-07-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 655293)
Maybe you could leave them at home ,where they live now.Lakes, woods and friends.

NO, don't leave your dogs behind, you are going to have to adjust and they will too. We all bring our animals with us, they become our children when we are empty nesters.

gomoho 04-07-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 655293)

What an absurd thing to say - no one that has ever owned or loved a pet would even think of that! Who would they have to share ice cream with???

msendo 04-07-2013 08:37 AM

And pizza!!! Yep. They'll be coming with us. We'll all figure it out. Everything will be fine.

CFrance 04-07-2013 08:44 AM

Disregard the trolls and flames!

KathieI 04-07-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msendo (Post 655362)
And pizza!!! Yep. They'll be coming with us. We'll all figure it out. Everything will be fine.

Yes, it will be fine. I brought my dogs with me from CA and not only did they take the car trip very well (no one threw up, thank God) but when they got here, they became very comfortable with their new surroundings. Yes, they don't have the large, walled in yard, that they used to run around in all day, but they like the large house and huge lanai and still enjoy running around after each other. Dogs adapt very well esp because they are with mommy. The only thing they still can't get used to is LIGHTENING AND THUNDER, but then again, neither can mommy.