Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Directv & Internet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/directv-internet-74451/)

rodie 04-06-2013 08:49 PM

Directv & Internet

Those that have Directv, which provider do you use for your Internet service? I keep reading that CenturyLink is questionable, yet they are recommended by Directv. What other choices is there south of 466A.

Hoosierb4 04-06-2013 09:12 PM

I'm not sure whether they're south of 466a, but we use Xfinity (Comcast) for internet and Direct TV for television. Xfinity has been reliable and can be quite reasonable on cost.

tag460 04-06-2013 10:20 PM

South of 466A we have Brighthouse available. I use them for phone and internet and for television I have Direct TV.

rodie 04-06-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks, do you know what Internet speed you have and about what your cost is for Internet and phone?

Newbeginnings 04-07-2013 06:51 AM

I have Brighthouse internet and home phone, I have the turbo speed 30mbps, all together around $100, and I had to negotiate that price. Am seriously thinking of disconnecting home phone, hardly use it, my cell phone is how everyone calls me and that would reduce it another $30. I tried the pkg deal with TV, internet, and home phone but liked Direct TV better so once you take away the TV service, prices go up with only internet and home phone.

Markam 04-07-2013 07:59 AM

We have the Directv and internet thru Century Link. 10mb service. OOOMA phone service. No problems or thoughts of changing.

John_W 04-07-2013 08:37 AM

In Tamarind Grove we've had Century Link internet 10mbps speed and landline with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call block for $59.99 a month, with tax it's usually $75. We've never had an internet outage or slow down, we have what the call 'to the curb', there is no modem, my router plugs straight into the wall jack.

We did negotiate a couple of times. Initially in July 2011 we had 2.5 mpbs and they said our first bill would be about $100. When it arrived the bill was $205, I called customer service, which they said was in Orlando. They transferred me to a supervisor in Charlotte who dropped my initial bill to $100 and raised my internet speed to the current 10mpbs.

In 2012 they called us four months in a row to see if we wanted Prism TV. Each time I said I'm very happy with Directv and you should know that, and please put me on the Prism do not call list. The fourth time I said I'm going to switch to Comcast if you don't stop your telemarketing calls, that when they added 'Call Block' to my telephone service for free. Now I can put a dozen numbers that are blocked, comes in handy with all the telemarketing calls we get in Florida.

buzzy 04-07-2013 08:42 AM

We have DTV and CenturyLink for phone and 10mb DSL for internet. Both are satisfactory and reliable. I don't sense any internet outages, and just occasional slowdowns. However, with the internet, you never know if the slowdown is at your provider, somewhere on the net or at the source's web server, so I can't complain. Where we came from we used to enjoy 20mb Comcast service, but our neighborhood here is not on fiber-optic yet, so CL can't go higher than 10mb.

We have had the service long enough for all the discounts to expire, so the price for the whole service is a little over $200 a month with one premium TV channel, 4 TVs and whole home DVR.

John_W 04-07-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy (Post 655368)
...We have had the service long enough for all the discounts to expire, so the price for the whole service is a little over $200 a month with one premium TV channel, 4 TVs and whole home DVR.

You can negotiate with Directv. I had been with Directv before we moved here, so we still have separate bills from Directv and Century Link. Last month when NFL Sunday Ticket billing had ended, $40 a month for 5 months, my Directv bill was still pretty high at a $120 a month and I didn't have the highest level package, Premier. I had a lot of items but they were all ala carte, Showtime, Starz, HD Tier. Anyway, I called and asked how much would the Premier Package with everything cost, the rep said I can give you $240 off for the year, so for the same $120 a month I now have everytime including the additions of HBO, Cinemax and the Sports Channels.

buzzy 04-07-2013 09:43 AM

thanks