Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Azteca's (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/aztecas-74462/)

simpkinp 04-06-2013 10:41 PM

Azteca's

We went to dinner last night at Azteca's in Wildwood. Wow. We go there often, especially on a Friday night when eVerything here is so crowded. We arrived around 6 and were seated immediately. They only serve beer and wine, but that goes well with Mexican food anyway. I had the Molcajete Caliente and it was delicious. Nice and spicy and authentic Mexican food. It is served in a cast iron pot and is more than enough for two people. I had the beef version, lots of slices of tender beef, pieces of baked potato and bell pepper and topped with cheese and green salsa. It is served with four warm flour tortillas. There is a wait for this as it takes time to get super hot in the oven. Yummy and only $10.50. Add a bottle of Negra Modelo and you have a feast. Imported beers are only $3.50. Domestics are $2.75. This is a small, family owned restaurant and everything is home made. They make the salsa every day and serve lots of freshly fried chips immediately when you come in, free refills too! Makes the wait time painless. It also comes with a side plate, or should I say platter, of beans, rice and guacamole salad. You all know how I feel about mom and pop operations. This place deserves a try if you are a fan of real Mexican food and they have a couple of American style dishes if someone in your group does not like any spice. It is located by the Sav-a-lot grocery store on 301, Main Street.

wannab 04-06-2013 11:44 PM

Thanks for this post. We have been looking for a good Mexican restaurant...we will try it out very soon.

simpkinp 04-07-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannab (Post 655250)
Thanks for this post. We have been looking for a good Mexican restaurant...we will try it out very soon.

I hope you like it. One person's pleasure is another person's poison. I am from California and this is the only tasty Mexican food I have found in this area, but it is a matter of personal taste. When I go to the ones in TV, I have to pour a lot of habanero sauce on it. Let me know!

seashorecaroline 04-07-2013 08:34 AM

:agree: I have been there several times and the food is excellent!

KathieI 04-07-2013 09:48 AM

I was there when it first opened and liked it very much. Food, service and prices are excellent. I believe the owners also own El Ranchito Mexican Restaurant in the Villages,,, which is also an extremely good restaurant.

bluedog103 04-07-2013 10:34 AM

We were there once and found the food and service to be excellent. Definitely a keeper.
It would be nice if they had a liquor license.

getdul981 04-07-2013 10:47 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. My wife and I have been looking for a good authentic mexican restaurant. From the posts, it looks like most everyone is pleased with this one.

gemorc 04-07-2013 12:34 PM

We have been there many times. Every time the place was almost empty. Both at lunch and dinner, the food is always delicious. I would feel more comfortable if the place was a little more crowded.

ellie123 04-07-2013 02:46 PM

Tried Latino Mas in Ocala. Best Mexican food I have had. Friends with us and said it was better than the Mexican restaurants in Arizona. Great chips with homemade salsa.

skyc6 04-07-2013 03:23 PM

Love Axteca! Great service, great food!

applesoffh 04-07-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seashorecaroline (Post 655359)
:agree: I have been there several times and the food is excellent!

Agree wholeheartedly!

simpkinp 04-07-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemorc (Post 655521)
We have been there many times. Every time the place was almost empty. Both at lunch and dinner, the food is always delicious. I would feel more comfortable if the place was a little more crowded.

All the more reason to go there. I want this place to be busier so it survives. I don't want to drive an hour to Ocala, bad enough I have to travel outside the "bubble".

Bosoxfan 04-07-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinp (Post 655802)
All the more reason to go there. I want this place to be busier so it survives. I don't want to drive an hour to Ocala, bad enough I have to travel outside the "bubble".

An hour to Ocala? I didn't think Ocala was golf cart accessible:)

LuckySevens 04-07-2013 10:30 PM

We think the food is way too bland. Everything tasts sort of the same. Guess I am used to Tex-Mex, and this definitely isn't Tex-Mex.
Having said that, I thought they were very nice there, and the place seemed clean.
I hope they can stay in business as it is very hard for restaurants to make it.
Azteca management, if you read this post, please use a little more mexican spices in your dishes, and I don't necessarily mean 'heat'.

TicoTexan 04-08-2013 08:55 AM

I am from Texas (Fort Worth) and go to Azteca's often simply because it is the closest to actual TexMex I have been able to find.

I would love to find an El Chico, El Fenix, or any other place similar to those located almost on every corner back home.