Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   How to start an agave cactus cutting? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/how-start-agave-cactus-cutting-74485/)

billethkid 04-07-2013 10:04 AM

How to start an agave cactus cutting?

Our neighbor has huge agave cacti along the border of our properties. There are small agave all around the big plant. How does one replant one of the small ones??

I have done it with sago palms...cutting the small ones from the base of the mother plant.

But I am not sure how to do the agave. Same way maybe?

btk

Bogie Shooter 04-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 655412)
Our neighbor has huge agave cacti along the border of our properties. There are small agave all around the big plant. How does one replant one of the small ones??

I have done it with sago palms...cutting the small ones from the base of the mother plant.

But I am not sure how to do the agave. Same way maybe?

btk

Cut the small one as close to the bottom that you can. Caution, the juice will burn your skin on contact. Then just plant the pup, should work just like the sago.

Serenoa 04-07-2013 04:32 PM

Unlike sagos, agave pups are typically a few inches away from the base of the mother plant, so you should be able to carefully dig a few inches of soil away from around the base of the pup, just enough so you can then grab the base with one hand & gently wiggle it while pulling upward until the roots will come free. Good luck!

PaPaLarry 04-08-2013 06:04 AM

Interesting??????? Is the Pup part of the root?

travelguy 04-08-2013 06:53 AM

yes, just separate the 'pup' from the 'mother' plant. they are easy to transplant.
fyi: they are not a cactus.

Bogie Shooter 04-08-2013 07:31 AM

Here is a "how to" video.
How to Divide and Transplant an Agave - Fine Gardening Video

Debfrommaine 04-08-2013 05:38 PM

We have on that is similar but it's a "Silver" something or other.....my husband transplants small plantings off of that........in fact we'd love to donate a planting if anyone wants it, ready to go! Just send me a PM and it's yours.........the original one was a fortune.

sharonga 04-09-2013 11:47 AM

Cuttings

[QUOTE=Debfrommaine;656191]We have on that is similar but it's a "Silver" something or other.....my husband transplants small plantings off of that........in fact we'd love to donate a planting if anyone wants it, ready to go! Just send me a PM and it's yours.........the original one was a fortune.[/Q
I would love a cutting of your agave. My name is Sharon and I live in Sanibel. New to these posts. Dont knolw if its private or not.
THANK YOU

sharonga 04-09-2013 11:48 AM

how do i send a private post to you?????