Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lawn Maintenance & Pest Control (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lawn-maintenance-pest-control-74513/)

AriaGrandparents2013 04-07-2013 04:42 PM

Lawn Maintenance & Pest Control

I'm enrolling in the Empty Nest Program and the form asks for the Lawn Maintenance person as well as the Pest Control person.

I was unaware that I needed a pest control program and was under impression that lawn maintenance handled both activities.

Can anyone shed some light on pest control requirements?...........do they spray exterior?......interior?.....can lawn guy do both activities?......what type pests are we concerned with?

Thanks in advance for your input.

mulligan 04-07-2013 04:48 PM

Most lawn maintenance people just mow, blow and go. You need county and state licenses for any pesticide applications. That being said there are companies like Stellar, who I use, who are properly licensed to provide all the services for the exterior of your home, including termite protection.

batman911 04-08-2013 03:13 PM

Stellar can do it all. 352-553-2597

Paperboy 04-08-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 656133)
Stellar can do it all. 352-553-2597

Call Stellar

bonrich 04-09-2013 07:08 AM

I use KB for mow, blow and go and their services to fertilize lawn and shrubs. Found out that the lawn has mole crickets (they fly) which requires a separate application and watering at time of service. Critters burrow and destroy (eat) the root system of the grass. Thought these little mounds of dirt was ants.

KatieDidNot 04-09-2013 08:35 AM

Pest Control is separate than lawn care. I use Deans, who is one of the companies that is "one stop shopping". I think they might be a little more expensive than some of the smaller companies, but so far, I have really liked them.

For lawn care they mow, edge, weed my flower beds, and fertilize, weed, and kill insects or eliminate disease in the lawn.

For pest control, they maintain my current termite contract and termite insurance policy, spray my entire house exterior bi-monthly to include shrubs and flower gardens. Additionally, they include unlimited service calls if I notice bugs in a shrub or anywhere else.

I do my own indoor pest control on a as needed basis, but they will do that as well, along with irrigation, and the pruning of shrubs and trees.

Specific critters you need to watch out for are termites, fire ants, black ants, white flies, and mole crickets. Those are the big ones. If you start getting roaches, I would personally recommend a professional do the job vs. trying to do it yourself.

Hope this was helpful.

Cantwaittoarrive 04-09-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperboy (Post 656179)
Call Stellar

:agree:

tommy steam 04-09-2013 10:04 PM

Call Massey. I have used them and they have provided great service. They are a company that covers three states ,they know their business.

AriaGrandparents2013 04-10-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieDidNot (Post 656450)
Pest Control is separate than lawn care. I use Deans, who is one of the companies that is "one stop shopping". I think they might be a little more expensive than some of the smaller companies, but so far, I have really liked them.

For lawn care they mow, edge, weed my flower beds, and fertilize, weed, and kill insects or eliminate disease in the lawn.

For pest control, they maintain my current termite contract and termite insurance policy, spray my entire house exterior bi-monthly to include shrubs and flower gardens. Additionally, they include unlimited service calls if I notice bugs in a shrub or anywhere else.

I do my own indoor pest control on a as needed basis, but they will do that as well, along with irrigation, and the pruning of shrubs and trees.

Specific critters you need to watch out for are termites, fire ants, black ants, white flies, and mole crickets. Those are the big ones. If you start getting roaches, I would personally recommend a professional do the job vs. trying to do it yourself.

Hope this was helpful.

Thank you.......very helpful.

AriaGrandparents2013 04-10-2013 06:29 AM

Thank you to all posts.....very helpful and considerable information to contemplate.