Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Meat Solicitors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/meat-solicitors-74655/)

MR&VAF 04-09-2013 12:53 PM

Meat Solicitors

We have been in our new home 2 weeks now and 2 different people have stopped by to sell us meat from the back of their trucks. Does anyone buy from them? We politely told them no thank you.
We also have had the welcome lady here twice. The second one told us it was just a voucher book and we would receive it in the mail if we didn't take it, I told her to mail it to us, otherwise we were not interested. She acted all confused as why we didn't take it. Her truck said Water Treatment on it. Thankfully, so far, no one has our cell number. If it wasn't for this site, I would have probably talked to both of them. Thanks for the heads up.

HMLRHT1 04-09-2013 01:00 PM

..?

Bonny 04-09-2013 01:20 PM

Never heard of that happening.

Sparty6971 04-09-2013 01:50 PM

Welcome to The Villages. And congratulations on passing the first of several tests on how to save your money. There will be more to come unfortunately. . . tree trimmers, bug sprayers, driveway painters, water conditioning -- it goes on forever.

But this is a great place to live and I wouldn't go anyplace else. I just say No Thanks and go on with enjoying my life. You can find the good lawn care, tree care, etc. people by using your noggin like you have so far.

Have a great life here and share with us your good times.

laceylady 04-09-2013 02:10 PM

We moved into our new cottage home in Oct. 2012. The house closed in June 2012. No one selling anything rang our bell. Maybe they had moved on to a newer neighborhood. After we were here a month or so a welcome lady came. She gave us all sorts of little useful gifts and coupons. As a result of her visit, a man stopped by about a month later re driveway painting. He was nice and polite and gave us a 2 for 1 coupon to Beef O' Brady's, which was useful too. We have not had our driveway painted, and we have not been contacted by anyone else. I rather liked the welcome lady. No one has tested or offered to test our water. We only have cellphones

Mack184 04-09-2013 02:16 PM

The home meat guys are some of the most high-pressure salesmen on the planet. Most of their meat is good..BUT...It is SERIOUSLY expensive! You will do far better at any of the local grocery stores.

The people who sell that stuff only get paid on sales and they are under tremendous pressure to produce or lose their jobs. It becomes a lousy deal for seller & buyer.

Golfingnut 04-09-2013 03:12 PM

Please, do not buy meat from the back of a truck nor pot from a non reputable dealer.
You never know what the inert materials are.

USSGompers 04-09-2013 04:19 PM

My good friends have lived down the street from me for 12 years. Hubby wanted a home near a golf course so they moved to Hacienda Hills Villas near Del Mar.

They told me that days after moving in, people started knocking. They told them all 'NO' but-

The people were from Water Companies, Etc. They told them all, 'No Thank You' but after letting one young man into their new home, he turned belligerent and did not want to leave.

Please be aware the 'The Villages' is a wonderful place to live but do not let your guard down. Crooks are everywhere now-a -days!!!!! Do not let them in your new home!!!

Pa & Giggi 04-09-2013 04:33 PM

About 6 mos ago some kid rang our doorbell and said that he had meat he was trying to sell because it was for our neighbor and they weren't home to accept it therefore he could sell it to me cheaper. He chose the wrong doorbell because I am a very picky person about where my food comes from and what restaurants I will eat at.
I promptly told him that there was no solicitation allowed in the Villages. He looked at me and asked, what does that mean? I said that means that you cannot ring doorbells here or I can call the police. I had noticed that he had no car in sight so I had no clue where this supposed meat was being kept. Usually I say no thank you but there was just something off about this guy. He left swearing.

BogeyBoy 04-09-2013 05:02 PM

You never know who might ring your doorbell. Many years ago when I was living in Santa Barbara a young kid rang the bell and was selling cookies or candy. He said it was a fundraiser for his school. He even had a badge that read "Joe Smith" such-and-such fundraiser program. I asked him what school. He mumbled something, no school name I recognized. So I decided to follow this kid after he left. He met up with a group a couple of blocks away, waiting for their ride. Some guy in Los Angeles had offered them money to ride up to Santa Barbara and sell the candy/cookies. No fundraiser, just a few kids trying to make and few bucks while some guy was making a lot selling 25 cent candy bars for a buck. I think all the cops did was tell them to move along, they probably hit Ventura and Thousand Oaks on the way home.

Mack184 04-09-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingnut (Post 656680)
Please, do not buy meat from the back of a truck nor pot from a non reputable dealer.
You never know what the inert materials are.

It's ILLEGAL to buy pot.

Mack184 04-09-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USSGompers (Post 656716)
My good friends have lived down the street from me for 12 years. Hubby wanted a home near a golf course so they moved to Hacienda Hills Villas near Del Mar.

They told me that days after moving in, people started knocking. They told them all 'NO' but-

The people were from Water Companies, Etc. They told them all, 'No Thank You' but after letting one young man into their new home, he turned belligerent and did not want to leave.

Please be aware the 'The Villages' is a wonderful place to live but do not let your guard down. Crooks are everywhere now-a -days!!!!! Do not let them in your new home!!!

For the most part, the meat guys aren't crooks. Their prices are highway robbery, but that's another story.

I will bet the farm that they are coming from an office on 441 up near Belleview just beyond Spruce Creek CC. I've seen an office up there and a slew of the standard rice-burner pickups with portable freezers on board. They actually are not "one & done" people, they want you on a regular route. It's the only way the drivers make any money. But again..they are EXPENSIVE. And they are high, high, HIGH pressure.

simpkinp 04-09-2013 07:27 PM

I had one of these people come by with a long story of a fictional neighbor who was not here to accept their delivery of meat they had ordered, so they could not take it back. I don't think they ever gave me a price but all she wanted was to get into my house. I said no and she went away. Like Nancy Reagan said, .Just Say No.

upinmaine 04-09-2013 07:44 PM

Beware! We had a lot of problem with these guys up in the northeast. Many are convicted felons and once inside homes purses were stolen and other crimes occurred. Also, their meat doesn't have the proper inspection markings and/or is out of date. Also, most don't have a license to sell. Do a search on selling meat from a truck in Maine or Mass. and you can read the stories for yourself.

tommy steam 04-09-2013 09:27 PM

Bottom line....don't do business with people who knock on your door.