Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Attorney at Closing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/attorney-closing-75202/)

anarick 04-15-2013 10:17 PM

Attorney at Closing

Has anyone contracted an attorney to represent them at the closing of a new home?
Just curious.

JourneyOfLife 04-16-2013 06:07 AM

I don't own in TV.

But I have and will continue to use a qualified real estate attorney during the purchase of a home. I would use them to do more than just close. I would use them to get advice about the purchase well ahead of closing... for a restricted community (any) I would want their advice.

I have no doubt that there are attorneys in that area that are familiar with the common pitfalls related to TV as well as other local communities.

IMO - Homes tend to be a large purchase for most people and it is money well spent.

graciegirl 04-16-2013 06:36 AM

Not necessary in my opinion on a new home.

Cobh521 04-16-2013 06:54 AM

We are closing on a new home in a week and we do not feel that an attorney is needed

Sable99 04-16-2013 08:00 AM

Mom and I closed on a new home last May. Our Michigan attorney recommended we get a Florida attorney for the closing. The attorney he found for us had a very high rating. It was a waste of money!

jimbo2012 04-16-2013 08:50 AM

I called two honest law firms both said I would be wasting my money to hire them.

THey could have said otherwise.

THe closing is so streamlined I say not needed, but do get simultaneous title insurance for an extra $375

billethkid 04-16-2013 06:20 PM

if you can read and if you are not afraid to ask questions then you don't need an arrorney.

I always ask for a business card from everybody at the closing who represents the seller. If they do not have a business card I get their full name, company and what is their purpose of being there. Before I sign I always ask the sellers attoney or who ever is legally representing the seller....is there any reason that I should not sign this document? Now we all know they would not advise anybody to sign something that should not be signed.....right?

If I am the buyer the closing process goes at the pace of my need to read and ask questions. What usually happens they immediately spot the pattern and explain more fully and advise there is no reason not to sign....then I read it and if satisfied...I sign.

Save the attorney fees....ask for an advanced copy of all documents to be signed at the closing. They are NEVER all done and available, but a good number are. Read what they put in front of you. Ask what you do not understand.

btk

SpicyCajunPugs 04-16-2013 06:32 PM

I would say no because of the simple fact that there really isn't anything negotiable with the process or closing as the Villages holds firm in the documents they have you sign. But as a paralegal I found the paperwork fair and regular with no bad surprises.

mdmurrell 04-16-2013 07:46 PM

Similtaneous Title Insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 660466)
I called two honest law firms both said I would be wasting my money to hire them.

THey could have said otherwise.

THe closing is so streamlined I say not needed, but do get simultaneous title insurance for an extra $375

I am not familiar with similtaneous title insurance? What is that?
Thanks
Michael Murrell

jimbo2012 04-18-2013 11:32 AM

U must pay the banks title insurance say it's $1000, now if you want your own titlae insurance which IMO U should have, rather than pay another $1000 you only pay about < $400, total 1400 instead of $2000, your bank will know, but if U don't ask...........