Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Portugese Paella (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/portugese-paella-75666/)

2BNTV 04-21-2013 10:17 AM

Portugese Paella

Is there a place in TV or near TV that make a great paella?

I thought maybe Havanna might have something like that but was wondering if anyone has had a great meal of this type? I would be willing to travel for a meal of this type but not to Newark, N.J. LOL

rayschic 04-21-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 663606)
Is there a place in TV or near TV that make a great paella?

I thought maybe Havanna might have something like that but was wondering if anyone has had a great meal of this type? I would be willing to travel for a meal of this type but not to Newark, N.J. LOL

My husband and I go to Orlando about once a month to see a sports event.
We usually end up at Ceviche. Really great tapas, live flamenco dancing... reminds me of being in Spain every time. I have not tried their paella but they make a few varieties and we heard the other customers raving about it, so we plan on trying it next time. Here's the website.

Menus | Ceviche

Madelaine Amee 04-21-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayschic (Post 663636)
My husband and I go to Orlando about once a month to see a sports event.
We usually end of at Ceviche. Really great tapas, live flamenco dancing... reminds me of being in Spain every time. I have not tried their paella but they make a few varieties and we heard the other customers raving about it, so we plan on trying it next time. Here's the website.

Menus | Ceviche

There is one of these restaurants in Clearwater which is easy to get to, straight down 75S.

We were in Sarasota recently and I made the mistake of ordering paella, it was disgusting, was basically Zatarains seasoning with loads of sausage and not much else. True Spanish Paella is seafood - fruits of the sea.

rubicon 04-21-2013 11:58 AM

True paella also contains saffron

rayschic 04-21-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 663680)
True paella also contains saffron

Ceviche makes 4 different paellas. Three of them have saffron rice.

missyomama 04-21-2013 12:06 PM

The Columbia Restaurant.

The Paella at the Columbia restaurant is wonderful. There are several locations in Florida. There is one in St. Augustine and several in the Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater area. They have 3 or 4 different versions of paella even a veggie paella. Their Columbia salad is pretty darn good and they serve a great sangria.

rayschic 04-21-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missyomama (Post 663685)
The Paella at the Columbia restaurant is wonderful. There are several locations in Florida. There is one in St. Augustine and several in the Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater area. They have 3 or 4 different versions of paella even a veggie paella. Their Columbia salad is pretty darn good and they serve a great sangria.

I totally agree. Columbia has great paella and great food.Here's their menu.
Seafood paellas are popular in coastal Spain. Paellas made with chorizo, beef, pork and chicken are more popular in inland parts of Spain. From Columbia's menu, their Paella Campesina is popular in the LaMancha section of Spain.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/pdfs/menu_dinner.pdf

gomoho 04-21-2013 04:58 PM

St. Augustine is my absolutely most favorite city in the world and yes Columbia is awesome there. Have also been to Columbia in Tampa and wasn't disappointed, except that I wasn't in my favorite city. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with that choice.

BarryRX 04-21-2013 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone for posting these restaurants. On a business trip many, many years ago, some vendors took me to an area that I believe is known as the Iron Bound section of Newark, NJ. It had a number of portugese restaurants. We ordered the Paella. I had never had Paella before, but fell in love with it. I can't wait to try out some of the recommended restaurants.

Skip 04-21-2013 11:21 PM

Brian Webster, right here in The Villages (HHCC), makes an excellent Spanish Paella. But it's not on the menu every day. My better half loves it.

Skip

2BNTV 04-22-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryRX (Post 663899)
Thanks everyone for posting these restaurants. On a business trip many, many years ago, some vendors took me to an area that I believe is known as the Iron Bound section of Newark, NJ. It had a number of portugese restaurants. We ordered the Paella. I had never had Paella before, but fell in love with it. I can't wait to try out some of the recommended restaurants.

Exactly where I was referring to in my original post. there is a very large Portugese community there with a chef being imported from Portugal to do the cooking at one of the restaurants.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Paella, hmmmmmm.....

I remember a writer saying you couldn't be a food critic unless you had Portugese cuisine.

flhr95 04-24-2013 05:35 AM

Place in Ocala, they only make it on weekends.
Menu - Latin Fusion Restaurant

jblum315 04-24-2013 07:39 AM

What is HHCC? is it Havana?

rayschic 04-24-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 665432)
What is HHCC? is it Havana?

I'm thinking Hacienda Hills Country Club.

LvmyPug2 04-26-2013 02:16 PM

Mi Tomina in Winter Park is a Paella restaurant. They offer many different renditions of Paella and each are excellent. Their sangria is great and on the weekends they usually have a flamingo guitarist playing. It's a small place but well worth the drive.