Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   good investment (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/good-investment-75685/)

billlaur 04-21-2013 01:21 PM

good investment

If you had 150.000 where wood u invest it...

l2ridehd 04-21-2013 01:31 PM

40% in Vanguard Total stock market fund
20% in Vanguard Total International fund
40% in Vanguard Total Bond Market fund

Re-balance back to those percentages about every 6 months. Forces you to sell high and buy low.

rjm1cc 04-21-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billlaur (Post 663733)
If you had 150.000 where wood u invest it...

I think that would depend on what other assets I had. If you are just looking for longterm growth and do not plan on needing it in your lifetime I would would look toward index funds and probably ETF's since they trade like stocks. You should pick a few different types for diversification. I would go 100% to the stock market. If you do not have an emergency fund then I would put some of the 150,000 into it.

justjim 04-21-2013 02:14 PM

Obviously, it is different for each person depending on a number of variables that are too many to list here. IMHO, ask your Financial Advisor who should give you options based on your personal financial portfolio. Personally, after getting with my Advisor, I would consider the options and make a decision based on my Advisor's advice and my personal research. Wouldn't we all love to have this problem? 0n a side bar-----I would love to see if my Advisor could talk me out of investing this $150,000 in TV real estate.

batman911 04-21-2013 03:07 PM

50% Vanguard Index 500
50% Electric company stock (for the dividends)

inda50 04-22-2013 07:52 AM

TV real estate.

Sonny2024 04-22-2013 08:39 AM

Call my Financial Advisor David Zupek at TADA Wealth Advisors,262-638-0224 (free consult). Tell him Ron sent you. He just bought a house down here in TV and still lives up in Racine WI. So I guess he likes investing down here as well. :-)

Cantwaittoarrive 04-22-2013 01:45 PM

It depend on your level of risk, what other assets you have, your knowledge of markets, how active (hands on) you want to be, your goals. I'm an options guy so I would buy/ sell spreads

JoelJohnson 04-23-2013 07:30 AM

Why buy an ETF? You are buying bad companies along with good ones. Why not just buy the good ones.
What is a good one, you ask? If you need income buy a major company that has been paying dividends for over 40-50 years and even increasing them every year.
It won't take much research to find such companies.

scarecrow1 04-23-2013 09:12 AM

Invest it in me I'll take good care of it !!!!!!!!

railroadman 04-23-2013 10:02 AM

Joel:

You are so correct! Buy a major company with a great track record of paying dividends that increase each year. I have been putting 20% of my income each year, in those kind of stocks for the last 30 years and have been happy with the results.

laddan 04-23-2013 12:01 PM

Bkln

Heartnsoul 04-23-2013 01:40 PM

I could tell you were I would NOT invest it in these times - the stock market. You might do best to get an "investment advisor" plenty around the villages.

laddan 04-23-2013 02:06 PM

look out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartnsoul (Post 664932)
I could tell you were I would NOT invest it in these times - the stock market. You might do best to get an "investment advisor" plenty around the villages.

good point, agree do not buy stocks now wait for major dip in next 6 months then buy some s&p index etf as a small part of your total portfolio,

no to financial advisor unless you have zero knowledge of investments then only very low fee ones. most advisors do not beat the average index stock returns and charge hefty fees. also make sure they eat thier own cooking and have htier prsonal funds invested in what the recommend for you to buy

Buffalo Jim 04-23-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 663740)
40% in Vanguard Total stock market fund
20% in Vanguard Total International fund
40% in Vanguard Total Bond Market fund

Re-balance back to those percentages about every 6 months. Forces you to sell high and buy low.

I am new to posting on this site . Retired senior exec in banking and investments . I built and was president the largest bank owned brokerage and insurance firm at the time . However I let my licenses expire .

Your suggestions are very solid . No one needs a Harvard MBA to learn how to manage their own money . The information is readily available and the " tools " you will find on the website of a good investment firm will pave a good map for you to follow .

The writer cites Vanguard and I could not agree more with his suggestion for this firm . There was a time when I was working so many hours and traveling all week that I paid someone else to manage my investments even though I was president and responsible for a brokerage firm .

I also found the comment someone made about owning / sponsoring polo ponies to be spot on . Never be impressed by fancy offices , paneled conference rooms and expensive art on the walls . It`s coming out of someone`s pocket . Many someones .

You all worked very hard for your savings and investments . Do not be intimidated .

I was sitting in the board room of a large bank a few years ago listening to a Wall Street guy wax on and on about something called derivatives and interest rate swaps et al . All he was seeking was to place 41 Billion of the bank`s assets into these fancy so called investments .

I watched our top 3 execs very closely and came to a conclusion . When the session ended I asked one of the smartest associates I knew who was sitting with me in the room ' could you follow what he`s proposing ? Do you understand how this stuff works " . He sheepishly said " no do you ". I said " not a word . But I don`t really think that guy understands what he is selling either . I think all of our guys were too embarrassed to ask any questions ".
Yup turns out about 5 years later I was right . When it all hit the fan turned out no one could explain or understand what they had invested the house money in and that led to the huge melt down .

Always use your common sense and never be impressed or intimidated .
Trust your common sense and good judgement .