Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Misc Games in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/misc-games-villages-481/)
-   -   History Made In The Villages Yesterday! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/misc-games-villages-481/history-made-villages-yesterday-75816/)

bmac007 04-23-2013 12:55 AM

History Made In The Villages Yesterday!

For those that didn't read this story (all over google)... Right here in The Villages Florida history was made... Was anyone there to watch this?
Read article below....

North Carolina’s Scarborough Rolls First 900 Series in PBA History in PBA50 Sun Bowl in The Villages
by Bill Vint April 21, 2013 14:19
THE VILLAGES, Fla.
– Joe Scarborough of Charlotte, N.C., rolled three consecutive 300 games to start the first round of qualifying in the PBA50 Sun Bowl at The Villages at Spanish Springs Lanes Sunday, recording the first 900 series in Professional Bowlers Association history.

Scarborough, who turned 50 in October 2012, is bowling in only his second PBA50 Tour event. He qualified 38th in the re-named PBA Senior Tour’s season-opener in New Port Richey, Fla., last week, but lost his first best-of-three-game single-elimination match.

The self-employed electrical contractor threw another strike to start his fourth game, but his streak ended at 37 in a row when he left a split on his 38th shot. Three straight sub-200 games then toppled him out of the lead and into a tie for 12th place with 1,921 pins, 77 pins behind leader PBA Hall of Famer Mark Williams of Beaumont, Texas, who averaged 249.75 for eight games to lead the field of 159 bowlers with a 1,998 total.

“I’m pretty surprised,” Scarborough said. “I had the shot, I took my time and it worked out. To be honest, no, I wasn’t nervous. I was pretending I was at home practicing, and I blocked out the crowd and focused on executing every shot.

“After the first three games, I moved to the other end of the house where the lanes were drier and I just couldn’t get the ball down the lane the same way. It wasn’t the pressure.

“It’s unbelievable, especially to be the first in the PBA to do it,” he added. Scarborough said his previous high three-game series was an 838 and he had 14 previous 300 games.

“It’s interesting that I used a different ball to start practice, but I switched (to a Storm IQ Tour Pearl) and I threw six strikes in a row to end practice. So I decided to start with that ball. I knew I had something good, but not this good.

“I’m proud of what I’ve done so far,” he added, “but I’ve still got work to do.”

Scarborough’s perfect start set PBA50 Tour records for consecutive 300 games (the previous record was two by Norb Wetzel of Fond du Lac, Wis., in Albany, N.Y., in 1998 and by Rohn Morton of Portland, Ore., in Tucson, Ariz., in 2005), and highest three-game series. He also tied the record for most 300s by an individual in a PBA50 Tour tournament, shared by Ron Mohr of Eagle River, Alaska (Columbus, Ohio, 2010) and Bob Kelly of Dayton, Ohio (Mooresville, N.C., 2010).

Norm Duke of Clermont, Fla., bowled three consecutive 300s in a standard PBA Tour event in North Brunswick, N.J., in 1996, but the performance didn’t count as a 900 series because he ended one round with two perfect games and started the next round with the third perfect game.

Williams, who rolled games of 269, 234, 259, 268, 204, 279, 268 and 217 on the PBA’s Cheetah lane conditioning pattern, said he had his only open frame in the 204 game.

“The conditions were really good,” Williams said. “There was a lot of oil in the front, some hold area and the carry was good. But there are a lot of games to go, so we’ll see how things go.”

The PBA50 Sun Bowl in The Villages produced another record when 87-year-old Darrell Ducat of Perrysville, Ohio, became the oldest player to compete in a PBA tournament.

Qualifying continues Monday at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., with the top 32 advancing to match play on Tuesday. Match play rounds are scheduled for 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday, followed by a four-player stepladder final at 7 p.m.

PBA’s online bowling channel Xtra Frame is providing start to finish coverage of the PBA50 Sun Bowl. For subscription and schedule information visit the pba.com homepage and click on the Xtra Frame logo.

jebartle 04-23-2013 04:09 AM

Wow!

very exciting!....This is coming from some one who is the "Queen of the gutter ball"

PaPaLarry 04-23-2013 05:06 AM

Thats just fantastic!!!!!

Uptown Girl 04-23-2013 05:41 AM

My 89 year old stepdad lives in Clearwater. He still bowls two days a week. He's gonna LOVE this news. Thanks for posting!!!
I can only imagine the euphoria that day at the bowling alley !!!
:clap2:

pooh 04-23-2013 07:17 AM

AMAZING!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

jblum315 04-23-2013 07:20 AM

Nice to see something besides golf and baseball make sports history!!

zonerboy 04-23-2013 05:11 PM

Yes, 100 years from now they'll be teaching the kids in school about this great event. Maybe even declare a holiday to celebrate.

ijusluvit 04-23-2013 05:25 PM

So lets see if we can figure out the odds against someone performing this incredible feat. Put a 1 on the left side of the paper, "in" in the middle, and the total number of three game sets ever bowled by anyone, anywhere in the world, ever since the game was invented.

geeezzz

LittleDog 04-23-2013 05:49 PM

My wife and I were there. Only saw the last 4 frames. Very exciting finish.

John

sjdjmd 04-23-2013 05:52 PM

Exciting news...to say the least!!! Good for him!!!

2BNTV 04-24-2013 03:24 PM

WOW - It's hard to bowl one 300 game but three in a row. WOW

Ciongrats to Joe on his amazing feat.