Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Solar Golf Carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/solar-golf-carts-347/)
-   -   The cart is now here!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/solar-golf-carts-347/cart-now-here-79489/)

Solar Golf Carts 06-07-2013 12:50 PM

The cart is now here!!!

3 Attachment(s)
I know many have asked where is it.

Well getting side tracked with two big projects on my home, it did go live as planned a few months ago to show it.

Anyway here's a few pic's today in Brownwood after a 46 mile test run, battery bank still showed 45% reserve left.

This is not a fancy cart it is the proto type, bare bones, it is running on 4 not 6 batteries.

Four 12V AGM (glass matt batteries)

When I return after the summer it will be available for sale to anyone interested.

ajbrown 06-07-2013 01:03 PM

Nice....

Congrats....

When you say 45% left, what was the voltage of the pack?

How did you do the test? Did you drive 46 miles straight or drive 10 and let solar work, then 10 more, or....?

I have a few buddies very interested so collecting information for them...

thanks

Solar Golf Carts 06-07-2013 01:24 PM

I did the run straight, just slowing on turns and stop signs
I also had a passenger checking the gps mileage.

The solar is always charging including the time driving.

Had 48.25 volts left.

Today was overcast to great degree.

junction29 06-07-2013 01:30 PM

Not if they are white

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solar Golf Carts (Post 688449)

Well getting side tracked with two big project on my house it did go live as planned a few months ago.

Anyway here's a few pic's today in Brownwood after a 46 mile test run, battery still showed 45% left.

This is not a fancy cart is the proto type, bare bones it is running 4 not 6 batteries. Four 12V AGM (glass matt batteries)

When I return after the summer it will be available for anyone interested.

Well done Bob, :gc:

You have very good business potential here that will just fly, very surprised that no-one has done it before. :plane: especially with all the work you have been doing at home. :beer3:

But don't forget that it is not the specific capacity of the batteries after one long run that matters, but the potential to recharge significantly over the length of the day (daylight) that really matters, the chance of you doing a straight 46 miles over a very short time is quite remote, so if that distance was done over time, there would be ample top-up charging time during the day to extend the range significantly. :wave:

Now the bad news, I am not buying one if they are white, i don't like the colour. :pepper2::pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

ajbrown 06-07-2013 01:31 PM

Great info.

Next year, one test I would love to see is using the same cart on two 40'ish miles runs.

1. using solar as you did
2. next day, disconnect solar, but use exact same cart

This removes all the variables that others may introduce and skew data.

It is really interesting stuff. I wish you great success.

-alan

jimbo2012 06-07-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junction29 (Post 688476)

Now the bad news, I am not buying one if they are white, i don't like the colour. :pepper2::pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

We hate the plain Jane white too, I'll be getting a new body for it just to be respectable.

Some solar color scheme.......

TrudyM 06-07-2013 07:20 PM

So I think I noticed no lights. It could have some right? Is it set up so you can charge normal or just solar. Just curious.

I just got back from Hawaii and because of the tax incentives their high kwh cost and the long hours of sunlight year around everybody is going solar unless their credit is crap. I have a friend who hated retirement and she is selling the units. The financed cost is less than the savings on the electric bill giving the homeowner a positive cash flow. The figures were fascinating, but as I said Hawaii has a very high electric cost. She had just met with a client before our lunch who was extending his panels by adding a patio cover so he would generate enough power to offset the charging of his leaf car.

The world sure I changing.

jimbo2012 06-07-2013 07:50 PM

Yes there are LED head lights, this cart has not been plugged into a charger in several years.

The charger receptacle is there, just don't use it..

WVMtnBoy 06-13-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Well getting side tracked with two big projects on my home, it did go live as planned a few months ago to show it.

Anyway here's a few pic's today in Brownwood after a 46 mile test run, battery bank still showed 45% reserve left.

This is not a fancy cart it is the proto type, bare bones, it is running on 4 not 6 batteries.

When I return after the summer it will be available for sale to anyone interested.

Did you tow it there with the truck???? :1rotfl:

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 06-13-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Is the solar panel available as a retro fit or do you have to buy the whole cart?