Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I don't know how to get started. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/i-dont-know-how-get-started-8039/)

Talk Host 11-29-2006 04:18 PM

I don't know how to get started.

I have always been interested in ceramics but don't know how to get started. Is it difficult? Where would I find out more?

Janette1 04-19-2011 05:17 PM

driveway paver sealing

After several different companies that charge anywhere from $350 -1000 I have found a wonderful company called Covenant Janitorial . Desmond went the extra mile for us so I wanted to give others a heads-up. This is my first posting so I hope I am doing it correctly.

aljetmet 04-19-2011 05:26 PM

Mulligan

Janette
You deserve a mulligan!

Pturner 04-19-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aljetmet (Post 347980)
Janette
You deserve a mulligan!

Too cute!

Janette, :welcome:
You've made a good first step in learning to post. There are a couple of extra steps to find the right forum and start a new thread. First, go to the TOTV home page and review the list of forums. Your post would be appropriate for either the "Contractors and Services" forum or the New Member forum, since you are new.

Once you find a forum that matches the topic of your post, click on the forum to open it. Just below the ads at the top of the page, and above the first post, there's a button that says, "New Thread". Click that and post away.

Don't worry. We were all new once and didn't know that either. :beer3:

p.s., Tony might come on and move your post to the right forum. If he does, neither my post nor aljetmet's clever and adorable one is going to make an ounce of sense. Oh well.

diskman 04-19-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janette1 (Post 347975)
After several different companies that charge anywhere from $350 -1000 I have found a wonderful company called Covenant Janitorial . Desmond went the extra mile for us so I wanted to give others a heads-up. This is my first posting so I hope I am doing it correctly.

Janette, you must be a newbie . This thread is about getting started in ceramics! If you wish to talk about janitorial service you need to start a new thread, you can't hijack someone else's thread PLEASE!!:blahblahblah::(:cus::evil6::spoken:

mulligan 04-19-2011 06:02 PM

somebody call me??

swimdawg 04-19-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskman (Post 347986)
Janette, you must be a newbie . This thread is about getting started in ceramics! If you wish to talk about janitorial service you need to start a new thread, you can't hijack someone else's thread PLEASE!!:blahblahblah::(:cus::evil6::spoken:

------------------------------
Now c'mon Diskman.....give Janette a break. Read Pturners post.

Gee whiz, I'm glad you weren't looking over my shoulder to see all my mistakes! And more power to you, Janette, for digging up a post from 2006!

BTW, TalkHost, how did you do with ceramics? I bet you're a pro by now!

Hang in there, Janette! I'll be looking forward to seeing more posts from you :welcome:

red tail 04-19-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 75100)
I have always been interested in ceramics but don't know how to get started. Is it difficult? Where would I find out more?

there is a ceramics club at the chula vista rec center. they meet every monday at 0900.

Pturner 04-19-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 347993)
somebody call me??

tee hee.

skyguy79 04-19-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 75100)

I did ceramics in HS and again when we were first married. We took classes and went up to advanced techniques. What we didn't do is the clay/wheel bit where your hands get all muddy.

I wouldn't say it's hard, but if you have shakey hands it might be a little challenge but nothing that should stop you from the activity. I might even try it again in the future! The following may be some good reading for you:

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/index.htm

Pturner 04-19-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 348017)
I did ceramics in HS and again when we were first married. We took classes and went up to advanced techniques. What we didn't do is the clay/wheel bit where your hands get all muddy.

I wouldn't say it's hard, but if you have shakey hands it might be a little challenge but nothing that should stop you from the activity. I might even try it again in the future! The following may be some good reading for you:

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/index.htm

I did the hands muddy clay/wheel bit. I even used a kick wheel at one time. Loved it and might take it up again when I become a frog.

BTW, TH's post was from 2006!

pooh 04-19-2011 07:58 PM

Hubby and I did ceramics for a short while in the 70's. Sounds sort of funny, doesn't it...:1rotfl:

We poured slip into the molds, emptied the molds, opened them, removed the greenware, cleaned it up, all work, but fun. Painting was the most fun and sometimes the paint color didn't resemble the final color.

If I could do it, you can do it. Give it a try, you'll reallllllly enjoy!

skyguy79 04-19-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 348028)

Skyguy (et al), you have just entered... The Twilight Zone! :shocked: :1rotfl:

pooh 04-19-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 348028)
I did the hands muddy clay/wheel bit. I even used a kick wheel at one time. Loved it and might take it up again when I become a frog.

Oh fine, get technical.....:22yikes: :1rotfl:

2006 you say? Holy moley, I'd better pay more attention!

diskman 04-20-2011 12:40 PM

if i had noticed 2006

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskman (Post 347986)

I would not have wasted my breath!:D:boom:chilout