Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How do I get to The Villages? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-do-i-get-villages-8089/)

tony 12-05-2006 03:44 PM

How do I get to The Villages?

I visit The Villages from time to time from the cold north. My wife and I have taken I-95, I-295, I-10, and 301.

I don't much like 301 and was wondering if anybody could offer me any advice about taking I-95 to Daytona then I-4 to 441. I have gotten weary of 301's changing speeds and speed traps. :cop:

sparky 12-10-2006 04:01 PM

Re: How do I get to The Villages?

I usually take I-95 down to Exit 298 and turn right on 1 & 5. Follow 1 to Bunnell.
Turn right on 11 in Bunnell. Follow 11 to Route 40 then right on 40 to Astor Park.
Turn left on 445A in Astor Park. Follow 445A to 19 then left on 19 to Route 42.
Right on 42 to The Villages.

Not much traffic and very few lights.

Sparky

tony 12-10-2006 04:52 PM

Thanks, Sparky,

I clipped your directions and pasted them into a file. I will give them a try the next time I visit The Villages.

Is it my imagination, or are there really speed traps in those little towns along 301. One billboard said it wasn't a speed trap, another said it was. I figure with all that to-do about it, it must be a speed trap.

Is it?

Tony

sparky 12-10-2006 07:54 PM

I stay away from 301 up there because they are SPEED TRAPS!!! :cop:

Flash 01-03-2007 08:30 PM

I have a great solution for those speed traps. It works every time. Don't speed, or at least, don't exceed the speed limit by more than 5mph. Ever since I adopted that, I haven't had to worry about speed traps at all. It actually makes driving more enjoyable.

Talk Host 01-04-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash
I have a great solution for those speed traps. It works every time. Don't speed, or at least, don't exceed the speed limit by more than 5mph. Ever since I adopted that, I haven't had to worry about speed traps at all. It actually makes driving more enjoyable.

You are absolutely right :agree: :agree:

tony 01-04-2007 02:27 PM

It's not the speed trap aspect. I know they are speed traps, and try to drive accordingly. There's no hiding that they are speed traps.

It seems, though, that 301 changes speed up and down every quarter mile, and the driving is tedious. Of course, I felt the same about the Natchez-Trace Park through Mississippi. Nice road, but deadly dull. My wife had to finally drive because I couldn't stay awake.

I'll be coming back to the Villages, and we'll take a vote in the car to see which way to go.

sparky 01-04-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash

::)

Five over in a speed trap town will get you a ticket. Those little towns on 301 North of Ocala are speed traps and they are proud of it.

tomahawk 04-22-2007 12:59 PM

Take Rt. 42 stright across from Daytona. Good road , much better and safer than I-4.

rathanasiou 04-22-2007 05:32 PM

Try taking I10 all the way over to I75 and go south on I75 and take The Villages exit to the east. Driving time is better than 301 although the distance is slightly longer.