Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   It is so frustrating (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/so-frustrating-8144/)

Talk Host 12-15-2006 08:24 AM

It is so frustrating

Are there any contractors around here that tell the truth, show up when they say they are going to, and do what they say they are going to do? ??? We are having some construction work done at our house, and while the company is doing a great job on the work itself, they just can't seem to tell us a straight story.
They're absolutely going to be here at 9 a.m. then show up at 10. We'll be back tomorrow, sometime. NO SHOW. The parts will be here Thursday......sorry, no parts til two weeks. Yep, We did that yesterday....ah....our office is going to do that this morning.....ah....our girl was out today....and she'll do that as soon as she gets back......ah.....I'm going to get right on that.....ah....BS. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH. I understand there are complications in every construction job, but by God, just because we are old enough to live in the Villages, does not make us stupid. There is nothing more aggravating that being lied to when the truth will serve just as well.

When we were getting bids for this job, one estimator showed up and had no idea what he was there for. (He actually said. I don't know why I'm here, my work order is blank) No brochures, no tape measure....no nothing.

The absolute worst experience was when we had our pool installed by a local company. It was a screaming match on the phone every day (I MEAN EVERY SINGLE DAY) for four months. There were periods of four weeks during which nobody would show up to do any work. I am so tempted to post their name here so that you will all know what to consider before you deal with these people.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm unlucky. You guys probably get great service all the time.

Kevin 12-15-2006 06:44 PM

Re: It is so frustrating

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host
Are there any contractors around here that tell the truth, show up when they say they are going to, and do what they say they are going to do? ??? We are having some construction work done at our house, and while the company is doing a great job on the work itself, they just can't seem to tell us a straight story.
They're absolutely going to be here at 9 a.m. then show up at 10. We'll be back tomorrow, sometime. NO SHOW. The parts will be here Thursday......sorry, no parts til two weeks. Yep, We did that yesterday....ah....our office is going to do that this morning.....ah....our girl was out today....and she'll do that as soon as she gets back......ah.....I'm going to get right on that.....ah....BS. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH. I understand there are complications in every construction job, but by God, just because we are old en ought to live in the Villages, does not make us stupid. There is nothing more aggravating that being lied to when the truth will serve just as well.

When we were getting bids for this job, one estimator showed up and had no idea what he was there for. (He actually said. I don't know why I'm here, my work order is blank) No brochures, no tape measure....no nothing.

The absolute worst experience was when we had our pool installed by a local company. It was a screaming match on the phone every day (I MEAN EVERY SINGLE DAY) for four months. There were periods of four weeks during which nobody would show up to do any work. I am so tempted to post their name here so that you will all know what to consider before you deal with these people.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm unlucky. You guys probably get great service all the time.

Talk Host 12-15-2006 07:11 PM

Kevin,
I think you intended to post a comment after quoting me, but it didn't take. :)

Flash 12-16-2006 12:36 AM

It's too bad you had to go through what you did. If you should need a contractor in the future, I have only three words for you: Oxford Professional Builders. They were not as cheap as the other estimates, but they started when they said they would and finished on time. They were neat, responded quickly to any concerns and made us very happy we chose to go with them. We have heard many horror stories, and have seen huge problems up and down the street with other contractors, but not so with OPB. I should add that others who have used them on our recommendation were also delighted with them.

Shafer5746 12-30-2006 07:58 AM

It is frustrating the problems that we have with contractors, landscapers, exterminators, etc. Contact Senior vs. Crime at 753-2799 before hiring anyone.

Sharon

sweetana3 04-01-2007 05:56 AM

Contractors

Someone needs to start an Angies List type of list. Where people provide service reports on all kids of service providers and then if you need someone you can check the list and work with the ones with the most A reports.

If everyone participated, a good list could be put together fast.

Potential new villager.

tony 04-01-2007 10:27 AM

I think sweetana3 just started "The Villagers List."

Here's my suggestion.

When you deal with a contractor, leave a report here, and be fair and honest. This will be very specific for Villagers, much more specific that any nationally based search.

I would suggest in your message you make sure you enter the type of work you had done, and the name of the contractor or business, followed by a short report with enough information to help other Villagers make a judgement. Keep it simple.

You message would be something like.

Driveway paving brick.
Mr. Smith's Paving Co.
I like the work they did, and would highly recommend them.

After it is posted, obviously all can see it, but they may not be in the market right then for driveway brick. This is where a very powerful Talk of the Villages Forum feature comes to play.

Lets say that you are thinking of paving bricks. Who to call?

Search for, say, driveway brick.

And you will be shown all messages with driveway and brick in them.

Try it now. The search is at the top of the screen in the black bar, fourth from left.

Click Search and you'll get a Quick Dropdown Menu.
Enter driveway brick
and check out the results.

Of course you may use the advanced search, too, which is selectable in the Quick Search Dropdown Menu, and also you can search for things other than contractors. Search for anything entered in the forums.

Give it a try.