Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dog Walking (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dog-walking-8176/)

jstwatchng 01-07-2007 04:52 PM

Dog Walking

Dear Neighbors and Friends:

It seems to me that most people who have dogs and walk them through our streets think they have the right to allow the animals to do their business on everyones lawn.

We disagree with this behavior as the scent is left from the dogs as they "mark" their territory. The humans on the other end of the leash show little or no respect for their neighbors or the neighbors property (some of us spend alot of money on landscaping)

Please people, let your dogs do their business on your own lawns and when you walk your dog, walk them in the middle of the road.

Talk Host 01-07-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Dog Walking

I could not agree more! I wonder how many of those people would allow their granchildren to poop in somebody's yard. Same stuff, just from a different container.

sparky 01-07-2007 06:08 PM

I like animals but I could not agree more!!! Take em for a walk but only after they " take care of business" in your own yard. The post office area is not a dog dump!!!! :'(

troll44 01-08-2007 08:47 PM

Dogs That Mess On People's Property

Why don't they make a dog walking area on several areas within The Villages? We paid extra for a corner lot and it seems (while we sleep and eyes are not looking) dogs relieve themselves on our lawn! We don't have a dog, don't want a dog, and most certainly don't think we should have to pick up messes from dogs! What a beautiful place we live in and people don't have the common courtesy to respect others property. I think the Village Watch should WATCH and fine these inconsiderate people that mess on other's lawns. Wow, I got that off my chest!

CitrusSister 01-08-2007 08:58 PM

I'm so sorry many of you are experiencing ill mannered pet owners who lack common courtesy.

Having said that, permit me to brag about my neighbors here in Polo Ridge. They are considerate and polite and respect our property as well as other people's in the neighborhood. It must be uncommon so I feel particulary grateful and may just tell them so! Good news is always appreciated, right?

If someone's dog did poop on my lawn, I might be tempte to put a small sign on my lawn temporarily asking that they curb their dog or at the very least, stay off mine.

Hard to know what to do...we shouldn't have to TELL people etiquete at THIS stage of our lives. Good luck.

villagera1 01-14-2007 05:31 PM

We should have dog runs! People that walk the dogs in my area are very inconsiderate. We work had to keep the yard looking nice and pay for landscaping very day 7 days a week the same people walk there dogs and the dog relieve on my yard and the owners stand and watches them. People who want to live here and keep it clean are people with class.

mmclover 10-31-2007 03:59 PM

Wow, is there not a pooper scooper law in your state, if there isn't maybe TV should have one. My dogs are trained to "spend their pennies" before we leave the house, and we carry a plastic bag, just in case, but they are not allowed to dally and smell. We are out for a walk and that is what we do.

The Great Fumar 11-01-2007 03:39 AM

There's more to it than just pooping on everyone's lawn...While most people do pick it up and put it in a plastic bag , Then they throw it down the sewer drains which flow downstream to the drain ponds where it accumulates and makes a horrible stench for all the golfers to smell.....Many of the homeowners around the ponds complain about the smell but don't know what to do about it.....
I have jumped more than one guy and gal about letting their dog or dogs dump on my lawn and I no longer care it their feeling get hurt.....I live on Amberwood golf course and paid a big premium for this lot and am not interested in sharing it with all the neighbors pets.......they think (if at all) that everyone loves little doggies ,but quite a few of us gave up dogs when our kids were grown and not looking for another one......Thank you for reading this and now that its off my chest , I will sleep better tonight.....

THE TICKED OFF FUMAR.

bestmickey 11-01-2007 05:40 AM

While I don't have one, I love most dogs (certain breeds scare me). However, I will be very vocal or demonstrative to the ignorant 'parents' should they disrespect me and my lawn. Any poopers, if I see it happen, will be followed and I will relocate the poop from my lawn to their front porch, depositing it directly in front of their door.

nitehawk 11-01-2007 09:51 AM

I am happy to see i am not the only one who feels so strongly about other peoples dogs relieving themselves on other peoples lawns.

ewstanley 11-01-2007 10:31 AM

I am surprised that TV doesn't have an ordinance that requires dog walkers to pick up after their animals. It seems like a no brainer to me. Our home owners association requires it, of course I am sure that there are a few who are just plain rude. We live on a corner and for the most part people comply with the ordinance. A $25 fine helps keep people in line. :cop:

bamafan 11-01-2007 12:00 PM

From the posts that I read most people do pick-up after their pets. It seems that most homeowners do not want a pet doing the do on their property. Pick up or no pickup.

abracadabra 11-01-2007 12:00 PM

While I'm walking MY DOG, who doesn't do "her thing" on anyone's lawn, I notice that more women pick up after their dogs than men. I've actually seen a man carry a piece of cardboard to "flick" the dump into the bushes. Another deposited a small package on my neighbors driveway and left it there. Maybe because women changed so many diapers earlier on in life that "poo" isn't so "ucky" to us. For all of the above complaints, have you seen more men or women breaking the rules? Just a thought........... Come on, villagers, POST!

Talk Host 11-01-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewstanley
I am surprised that TV doesn't have an ordinance that requires dog walkers to pick up after their animals. It seems like a no brainer to me. Our home owners association requires it, of course I am sure that there are a few who are just plain rude. We live on a corner and for the most part people comply with the ordinance. A $25 fine helps keep people in line. :cop:

The Villages has no law enfcement arm. There is no police department. There is no way to enforce anything.

ZMAN 11-01-2007 02:15 PM

I agree there are inconsiderate people who walk their dogs and don't clean up behind them or allow them to do their business on lawns. This problem is not restricted the TV and can be found in all areas. It is cause for concern but what concerns me most is the vitriol that is permeating in this discussion and other forum discussion subjects. I was led to believe TV is Florida's friendliest home town. I am beginning to have second thoughts about my retirement destination.