Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages???? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/true-dogs-going-banned-villages-8190/)

Talk Host 01-17-2007 02:19 PM

Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages????

A friend of mine who works at the Administrative office said that discussions are underway to ban dogs from the Villages. My friend said the reason is that there are too many complaints about dogs pooping in peoples yards and dogs off of leashes. She said there is a cronic problem with a group of people who let their dogs run loose along the recreation trail under the power lines near Lopez Golf course.

That sounds kind of far fetched to me. Has anybody else heard this? How could they possibly enforce such a ban? :dontknow:

CitrusSister 01-20-2007 04:05 PM

Re: Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages????

I think our dogs are safe. Just idle rumors. Someone's just barking up the wrong tree.

Talk Host 01-20-2007 08:41 PM

I asked about it again, and I was told that the discussions are real. My information is not official, it is from a third party. I know that a woman in Calumet with three dogs was told to get rid of one of them.

sparky 01-21-2007 05:12 PM

That would be one way to correct the winter over crowding and traffic congestion. Some of these people would let you have their 'first born' before they gave up their dog. ;D

sweetana3 04-01-2007 05:51 AM

This is a topic of great interest. What are the pet rules for the Villages? I am looking forward to getting a dog when I retire and can devote more attention to one. Are there enforced limits?

I have never seen a picture of a couple with their dog.

What about cats or birds? I would be more afraid of buying next to someone with a large screaming bird. There was a house here in Indiana and you could hear the birds inside the house from a block away.

Talk Host 04-01-2007 11:27 AM

The current rule is that you may not have more than two domestic animals. You must keep your dog on a leash at all times where you are off the property. You must also clean up after them. While most people obey the rules, there are more than a few people who are better than everybody else and do not use a leash and do not clean up the poop.

sweetana3 04-01-2007 12:38 PM

I must have just been eliminated from admission to the Villages. I have 5 cats from 14 years old to 3 years old. I would never get rid of any of them. They are totally inside animals and never ever go outside.

JohnZ 04-02-2007 09:22 AM

The Villages setting a policy to ban dogs? They may be having discussions about that, but...nope....that dog won't hunt. That kind policy may generate a firestorm of really bad PR that could reach national news IMHO. The news media would have a field day with this. Have you noticed how many commercials on TV have dogs in 'em. Why? Because lots of folks love pupsters. Stepped-up enforcement of existing covenants would be a better solution I think.

elcid 04-02-2007 03:41 PM

Sounds like hogwash. I find it hard to believe that an organization that would invite you to bring your dog with you on the 6 day orientation, would let something like that happen. If that should happen think the previously owned homes up for sale would rise dramatically.

sparky 04-02-2007 09:13 PM

I vote to keep the dogs but ban the owners that walk their dogs down the street so they can use other peoples yards and the post office as a crapper.

Let the dog use their own yard and then take him for a walk. ;D

JohnZ 04-03-2007 08:14 AM

We received The Villages Magazine April edition this morning with the Daily Sun. This issue happens to be a "Special Pet Issue". If they're serious about a ban, why would they hype a pet friendly position like this? It just doesn't add up.

jjdees 04-03-2007 11:04 AM

Right on Sparky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jstwatchng 04-03-2007 02:00 PM

Right on Sparky!

We are animal lovers, but would never think of allowing my animal to dump on someone else property even though its picked up, thats rude and disrespectful to your neighbors!

elcid 04-04-2007 10:47 AM

I am a dog owner, and I agree with Sparky. I live in the first Villa behind the wall of many. Our neighbors are other Villas, Designers etc. Seems every other dog owner has our community wall as the morning and evening target to walk their dogs. It wouldn't be too bad if the owners carried bags and cleaned up. (Many do, but many go away leaving presents for the next walker).

Fines for not cleaning up worked in the last community we lived, but of course you need someone to police & report to someone who will take action.

Culvers2Villages 04-07-2007 09:21 AM

:agree: ::) I am so glad that I have read these posts. We are DOG owners/lovers. We NEVER, I repeat NEVER allow our dog to use someone elses yard as their toilet. I believe like most of you. The problem is NOT the dog...but, the owners. It is so very rude to allow your dog to walk and poop in other people's yard... even if you do pick it up. I went out front early one morning to find the person down the street... allowing his dog so much length on the leash that the dog was up in my flowers next to my home....!!! >:(
I think it would be hard to ban Dogs from the Villages... however, banning their owners might not be such a bad idea!!! LOL Thanks for the opportunity to VOICE!!!

Have a wonderful and blessed Easter