Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Empire Zoysia Grass (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/empire-zoysia-grass-8277/)

villages07 03-20-2007 06:23 PM

Empire Zoysia Grass

Question for those of you who have been through a few seasons here (or are horticulturalists at heart).... when should we expect to see empire zoysia grass start to seriously green up, given the recent weather and overall lack of rain? In newer neighborhoods south of O'Dell Circle you see a real mixed bag of "green-ness"...is this also influenced by which company does your weed and feed? I can't tell if my grass is dead, slow to green, or right on schedule. Lawn guy says Pest/Fertilizer contractor isn't feeding enough; Pest/Fertilizer contractor says lawn isn't getting enough water. Not sure who to believe. Thanks for any insight from your past experiences.

Lucko 04-25-2007 09:26 PM

Re: Empire Zoysia Grass

In a new area of Duval, we have a "FertiGator" yard next to a "Zoysia Green" yard, and both know that the other is testing or watching. I have talked to half a dozen yard experts from several companies and here is a sampling of sales pitch/comments --- Ours is the best, Zoysia is our specialty, we are the oldest company, we do more yards in the villages than anyone, we kill surface bugs, we use bug repellant (not neighbor friendly), Zoysia needs iron, Zoysia doesn't need much nitrogen fertilizer, They are a good company, but are in the learning stage with Zoysia, Empire Zoysia is not like northern Zoysia, Cinch bugs don't like Zoysia as well as St. Augustine, our bug treatment is organic, they can't use bug killers in their method, our applicaion method is more constant, our method gives a more lush green, we do it all, "I'm your man!", Come to a free meal, half price for new cutomers, I'll give you an additional $50 off, first application is free, the green will come when the soil gets warmer, we also do aeration, we adjust sprinklers, that is an extra $10.00, we don't mow, we can also do shrubs, that's another $70.00 per year, you won't have weeds, we do soil analysis, our method uses less water, ants are not included, this agreement does not constitute a warrenty, any guarantee is conditional, 5% for prepayment, 10% for prepayment, ours is a little more money, but it's worth it, donuts installed @ $2.50, donuts installed at $3.50, as a professional I buy donuts for $0.23, --- this dribble goes on and on and if you can sort anything about growing the best grass, please respond: otherwise, I'll just have to go with the last salesmans prediction of "just wait til the grass starts to dry up next fall, and see who has the better lawn." Let's hope the grass does start growing, I'm a bit tired of paying each week to mow off a half inch of seed shaft!!!!!!!!!

PJ 04-04-2008 07:25 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any solutions to, or suggestions on this question?? I have applied MiracleGro lawn food, recommended by an Ace Hardware person. I need to buy some weed killer too, but what kind? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

JohnN 04-04-2008 08:19 PM

Lucko, LOLOLOLOL,
you're making my head spin, let me (us) know how the test works out

samhass 04-04-2008 09:25 PM

V07, My neighbor has a lawn service (as I do) that feeds his lawn. He feeds it again. His lawn is beautiful and green. Mine is just Ok.

renielarson 04-04-2008 09:57 PM

Let me write about our personal experience:

We have Zoysia and last summer it was looking horrible. There were brown spots everywhere and the grass was no where close to a healthy green color.

As "snowflakes", my husband would fertilize only a couple times a year thinking this would suffice. Our sprinkler system was set on a regular schedule so the grass was getting enough water.

After consulting with our lawn maintenance company, we were convinced the problem was caused by lack of fertilizer. They recommended a fertilizer company. After 6 months of being on a regular fertilizer schedule our lawn no longer had the brown spots and was looking healthy green again.

Last time we were in TV was December. I'll let you know this Sunday if it's still looking as good as it did in December.

travelstiles 04-04-2008 11:02 PM

We drove past a home today in Virginia Trace that had a truck outside from a Synthetic Turf company. Sounds like the solution to to me!
http://www.irwd.com/Conservation/synturf.php

PJ 04-04-2008 11:29 PM

Travel, thanks for the link to the Synthetic Turf site, their pictures of lawns look really nice. I couldn't find any prices on their site, or any indication on how long it might last. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear about it please. I wonder if it would have to be approved by TV. It seems like a good way to conserve some of our water supply.

In the meantime I hope someone can advise me about fertilizer.
Thanks!

travelstiles 04-04-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travel
We drove past a home today in Virginia Trace that had a truck outside from a Synthetic Turf company. Sounds like the solution to to me!

I found this link
about a county in California (near Irivne and Newport Beach) that has installed this synthetic turf. The site has reports on the amount of water saved, elimination of pesticides, etc. Seems like depending on the type you get (it comes in a variety just like real grass) it runs anywhere from $6 to $9 per sq. ft., and the average household in the study saved over 22,000 gallons of water a year.

bestmickey 04-05-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

I was going to suggest green paint. ;D

Lil Dancer 04-05-2008 01:04 PM

Our neighbor does his own lawn, and he swears by Scott's Weed and Feed. He puts it on once a month, and waters regularly. Our neighbor across the street started doing the same thing and his lawn looks fabulous too. We have a third neighbor down the street who also uses the Weed and Feed, and again, their lawn is nice and green. I think that's the secret.

gfmucci 04-05-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

We drove past a home today in Virginia Trace that had a truck outside from a Synthetic Turf company. Sounds like the solution to to me! http://www.irwd.com/Conservation/synturf.php

...but you have to vacuum :yikes:

beady 04-05-2008 02:57 PM

We have St Augustine and we are wondering about the condition of our lawn.
It has brown spots and weeds. Everyone elses lawn is greening up, and weedless. The lawn company keeps telling me it needs more water. They are supposedly treating it for weeds and fertilizing. I am beginning to wonder if the lawn service is using the correct formula for feeding the lawn? Why do I have weeds when they are supposedly treating it to prevent weeds?
Maybe I will try the Weed and Feed and if it works, fire the lawn company.

gonzy 04-06-2008 03:16 AM

I have St. Augustine lawn as well and I have only watered it twice since december as the rain has been sufficient. I fertilized in mid march and it looks fine so I think the lack of water explanation is bogus. As far as weeds go the broad leaf weeds are pretty easy to control (I've been using atrazine) nutsedge on the other hand is extremely difficult to control. My neighbor payed for a special tratment to control nutsedge and it was right back where he started within 2 months. I've used basagran and image for nutsedge basagran slows it down image is worthless.

dadspet 04-06-2008 03:34 AM

We have a new Empire Zoysia grass lawn that isn't looking all that great (fertilized it twice already), and I think we have had a fair amount of rain. I've complained to the villages (1 yr warranty) and they tell me its not getting cut close enough (It has to be cut 1 to 2" and no more) and this was also verified by the contractor who installed it and Empire Zoysia web site. THe lawn mowing guy says no way thats too short and he won't be responsible for it. I finally convinced him to cut it shorter this week > he went from 3" to 2 1/2 " and the result was the grass got scalped in places since it wasn't really layed in flat and there are some hills and bump. I fertilized it again this morning. I've looked around at a lot of other house and I don't think most of them are real green either. I think the jury is still out on this grass and it has a long way to go before it starts to look good. Artificial turn or green paint looks like a good solution.