Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Has anyone heard of any dogs encountering venomous snakes? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/has-anyone-heard-any-dogs-encountering-venomous-snakes-82993/)

Spectreron 07-20-2013 03:27 AM

Has anyone heard of any dogs encountering venomous snakes?

Has anyone heard of any dogs encountering venomous snakes?

mulligan 07-20-2013 05:42 AM

It has probably happened, but hasn't shown up here on TOTV yet.

karostay 07-20-2013 05:46 AM

If the dog encounters a venomous snake.
Shouldn't it's handler also encounter a venomous snake
the pet would be leashed

rubicon 07-20-2013 06:14 AM

If I had a dog on a leash and if I encountered a snake then my dog may still be leashed but no one would be holding it:D

asianthree 07-20-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 711364)
If I had a dog on a leash and if I encountered a snake then my dog may still be leashed but no one would be holding it:D

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

zcaveman 07-20-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 711354)
If the dog encounters a venomous snake.
Shouldn't it's handler also encounter a venomous snake
the pet would be leashed

Not necessarily. Since the dog on the leash is usually in the lead, the snake could jump out and bite the dog and be gone by the time the owner can react.

Z

keithwand 07-20-2013 07:22 AM

1 of our 2 dogs hunts down geckos and tried to catch a garter snake while leashed. Glad it wasn't venomous.

KARENNN 07-20-2013 07:39 AM

My dog and I have had snakes cross in front of us on the walk, but they slither away from him, they aren't aggressive.

In awe of TV 07-20-2013 08:11 AM

Agreed.

Quote:

Ha, ha, ha. :BigApplause:

senior citizen 07-20-2013 08:21 AM

What I'd like to know...

Would it be wise to have a home checked for "insects" and critters such as snakes and such prior to buying........if one bought a gently used resale home.....esp. if it was near a golf course? Meaning : Check for any entry holes or whatever would point to the possibility of a critter being able to get in...........not necessarily that the house is over run with anything.

I've seen news stories about people finding snakes in their laundry rooms (not in The Villages, but in Florida and even up north).........under their beds, etc.

One never knows what could be transported into your home on a moving truck.

When we returned to Vermont back in 1995.......I ordered a new chair for next to the fireplace..........it had only been in the living room for a day when a huge tarantula type spider was spotted. They said it arrived during transport. Double yikes.

I think it came from Georgia.

Better safe than sorry.

GatorFan 07-20-2013 09:18 AM

My brother lost his dachshund to an encounter with a coral snake. The dachshund killed the snake and by the time he realized what had happened his beloved baby could not be saved.

njbchbum 07-20-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 711426)
What I'd like to know...

Would it be wise to have a home checked for "insects" and critters such as snakes and such prior to buying........if one bought a gently used resale home.....esp. if it was near a golf course? Meaning : Check for any entry holes or whatever would point to the possibility of a critter being able to get in...........not necessarily that the house is over run with anything.

I've seen news stories about people finding snakes in their laundry rooms (not in The Villages, but in Florida and even up north).........under their beds, etc.

When we returned to Vermont back in 1995.......I ordered a new chair for next to the fireplace..........it had only been in the living room for a day when a huge tarantula type spider was spotted. They said it arrived during transport. Double yikes.

Better safe than sorry.

that is something that our home inspection included...since it is a manufactured home on a crawl space, you can imagine how pleased i was to find that there were no critters in residence in that crawl space!...a good reassuring feeling. and before we moved in we had a housekeeping team come in and they worked their mops and dust rags off so that even the inside of the kitchen cabinets sparkled!...and then the pesticide guys came and put that paste stuff down in all of the damp kitchen/bath areas as a deterrent barrier and sprayed around the outside of the house. we have been pest free for the 5 yrs we have been there [except for my husband occassionally - but that's for another thread ;)]

Suzi 07-20-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 711426)
What I'd like to know...

Better safe than sorry.

Seriously? Total body shiver here.

janieb 07-20-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

we need a like button on here like Facebook has

kittygilchrist 07-20-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 711366)
:1rotfl::1rotfl:

:agree: lmfannyo