Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   It was a 1957 Plymouth. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/1957-plymouth-8341/)

Talk Host 04-10-2007 07:25 PM

It was a 1957 Plymouth.

My first car was a used 1957 Plymouth Belvedere. It was so rusty and loud that you had to shout in order to be heard. It ran fine. In fact when it was junked, the engine was used in a stock car. Man was my dad ****ed at me when I brought it home. He said, "take it back". I managed to convince him that I needed it and he finally, and reluctantly, let me keep it.

Do you remember your first car?

swrinfla 04-12-2007 12:15 PM

Re: It was a 1957 Plymouth.

I suppose my age shows, but my first car was a heavily-used '37 Pontiac Business Coupe. A real piece of junk (I paid $75 for it in '54 or '55) which drank oil like some folks drink beer! After a couple/three weeks, the dealer took it back (he and my Dad were long-time friends), and I took over my mother's '40 Plymouth Business Coupe. I loved that car and kept it four/five years!

PJ 04-12-2007 07:26 PM

My parents had an old 1949 Blue 4-door Nash Rambler, the one that looked like an upside-down bathtub. The back doors opened from the front.
Later they replaced it with a green & white car with fins and pushbutton gears. I think it was a Plymouth but am not sure.

elcid 04-12-2007 08:54 PM

The first one I had available for use was a 1941 Ford, which I unfortunately had an accident with. The first I owned was after I was in the Navy for a few years and was on shore duty in WDC, it was a 1950 Plymouth, which was a wonderful auto. Thanks for the memories

Cisco Kid 11-14-2013 09:39 AM

1969 Nova 307 3 on the tree. use more oil than gas. Paid $100

How can this thread be show short ?

Buffalo Jim 11-14-2013 09:54 AM

Mine was a 1959 Plymouth Fury with "push-button drive " and a 318 engine .
It was black and white . It had huge fins .
The seats were also huge " bench style ". As I recall it could easily fit 4 across the front and back seats . I recall one time when I jammed in a total of 12 .
I paid $200 for it in the summer of 1968 . It was constantly in need of new parts . I drove it for 2 years and traded it toward a 1965 Mustang for which I paid a total of $600 with the trade.

JB in TV 11-14-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 780124)
1969 Nova 307 3 on the tree. use more oil than gas. Paid $100

How can this thread be show short ?

The last post before your's was what? over SIX years ago?

Cisco Kid 11-14-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB in TV (Post 780144)
The last post before your's was what? over SIX years ago?

I know, that is so sad. This thread should be a mandatory post when you signup.

Bogie Shooter 11-14-2013 11:45 AM

Or maybe start a new thread?

Cisco Kid 11-14-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 780220)
Or maybe start a new thread?

I am afraid of new stuff.
It is likely that I will not able to turn it on, or operate it right.
or it will be made in China

Topspinmo 11-16-2013 07:29 AM

Finely thread I can take interest in:coolsmiley: and yes it should be brought back from the dead for us car guys :a040:which don't look like too many at the villages?

I turned 16 in the mid 60's, When muscle cars was the rage. My first car was 56 Chevy hard top. Guy I brought it from was going to VN. Gave 500.00 for it money that I had saved for 4 years working in grocery store and on farm. This car was already set up as hot rod. trans planted bored 283, 4 speed, pleated interior, cragars, cheater slicks, bumper and splash pan removed jacked in the front (before the jacked in the back came popular, I don't know why I thought it looked stupid raised high in the back?).

I was in hot rod heaven with that car. My first drag race was against another 56 chevy. was waxin his #22 till I hit third gear and the clutch blew. Had to walk for three weeks was my last race for awhile cause I couldn't afford to fix it or did I want to walk any more cause I threw my bike in trash. Yes the guy made it back from VN.

I sold the car after Graduation and brought me brand new left over 69 GTX now that I was out of school and working at Rock Quarry making big bucks $2.95 hour in summer 70. How many of us wish we would of kept our first car?:blahblahblah:

graciegirl 11-16-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim (Post 780139)
Mine was a 1959 Plymouth Fury with "push-button drive " and a 318 engine .
It was black and white . It had huge fins .
The seats were also huge " bench style ". As I recall it could easily fit 4 across the front and back seats . I recall one time when I jammed in a total of 12 .
I paid $200 for it in the summer of 1968 . It was constantly in need of new parts . I drove it for 2 years and traded it toward a 1965 Mustang for which I paid a total of $600 with the trade.

My sweetie and his twin shared a '57 Plymouth Fury. It was a wowser car.

Bay Kid 11-16-2013 08:13 AM

Mine was a '67 Beetle. I was working as a mess cook at a military base in Yorktown. It was the only place I could work at age 14. When I was 16 a 'lifer' was transferring and he liked my work ethic. Asked how much I saved and I told him $300. He sold it to me in 1970 for $300. w/27,000 miles. What a deal! Drove it until it had 100,000 miles and sold it for $600. I always wanted the hot, fast cars, but money controlled my ride back then and the cost of insurance.

Now I have the hot golf cart!

eremite06 11-16-2013 09:04 AM

'55 VW Bug. small port rear window, red vinyl interior. Paid $100. No gas gauge. When it sputtered and ready to stall from lack of gas, you had to turn a lever on the floor to go to reserve tank. The gas pedal had a little wheel on it.

John_W 11-16-2013 10:03 AM

Mine was a 1961 Nash Metropolitan. The Metro was sold from 1953 until 1962 and they retailed new for about $1600, I believe they were made in England.

When I was 13 in 1963 my dad was looking in the newspaper and saw a 1961 Metro for sale for $800 from a private party. We drove over to the home, which was in an expensive area of St. Petersburg and met the owner. The woman said her husband had kept it in the garage and he had passed away. It was like showroom new, so my dad bought the car immediately.

He drove the car to work for a couple of years and then two years later when I was 15 and got my learner's permit he taught me how to drive and gave it to me. It was a little tricky because I also had to learn to shift gears, it had a 3 speed shift on the column. Not the easiest form of shifting. I loved the car and drove it until 1969 when I bought a new Datsun for $1900.

Mine was green and white with a black softtop, here's a photo of a 1961 in the exact same colors and year that recently sold on Mecum Auto Auction for $37,000. This might even be the car since it matches everything. I sure wish I still owed it.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-co...E86184_900.jpg

MikeV 11-16-2013 10:05 AM

1951 Chevy Coupe. I literally drove it till the wheels fell off.

CaptJohn 11-16-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 781238)
Mine was a 1961 Nash Metropolitan. The Metro was sold from 1953 until 1962 and they retailed new for about $1600, I believe they were made in England.

When I was 13 in 1963 my dad was looking in the newspaper and saw a 1961 Metro for sale for $800 from a private party. We drove over to the home, which was in an expensive area of St. Petersburg and met the owner. The woman said her husband had kept it in the garage and he had passed away. It was like showroom new, so my dad bought the car immediately.

He drove the car to work for a couple of years and then two years later when I was 15 and got my learner's permit he taught me how to drive and gave it to me. It was a little tricky because I also had to learn to shift gears, it had a 3 speed shift on the column. Not the easiest form of shifting. I loved the car and drove it until 1969 when I bought a new Datsun for $1900.

Mine was green and white with a black softtop, here's a photo of a 1961 in the exact same colors and year that recently sold on Mecum Auto Auction for $37,000. This might even be the car since it matches everything. I sure wish I still owed it.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-co...E86184_900.jpg

My Mother had one of these in a hardtop. Same color. I'm thinking about finding one again to take to car shows, but not for $37K.
On hers, every so often the gearshift would lock up while stopped at a traffic light and i would have to get out, open the hood and shake the linkage to get going again. Good memories.

Actually my first car was a 63 and a half Ford Fairlane with a 289 Hi Performance V8 with solid lifters. Same engine used in Cobras, Mustangs and Avanti. Had fun street dragging with that one until i got a silver '66 Corvette Stingray 427/390.

PS. There is another thread like this that was earlier this year if anyone's looking for more reading of this type. Don't remember the title but a vintage car search should turn it up.

Topspinmo 11-16-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 781130)
My sweetie and his twin shared a '57 Plymouth Fury. It was a wowser car.

Ok graciegirl I'll Bit? what is a wowser car?

DougB 11-16-2013 10:37 PM

1964 Rambler American. I used to park a block away from school so no one would see me driving it. But then I got a 1965 Mustang and parked right in front.

CFrance 11-16-2013 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1960 Triumph Herald convertible, red like the picture. My brother and I shared it until he refused to help me pay to fix the window in the back of the convertible top. Stubborn! Then it became mine. Drove it till 1969. It made it to University of Georgia from Pittsburgh, although it did need a new clutch 'long about mid Virginia...

graciegirl 11-17-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rc Moser (Post 781632)
Ok graciegirl I'll Bit? what is a wowser car?

It was new and it was beige and gold and it had fins and it had a big motor with some impressive speeds on the dash dial. It was sporty and beautiful to me.

No one in my family had a new car. Sweetie didn't drive it fast when I was in it but I think they both (his twin and him) did a bit of drag racing.

His twin put something noisy on the muffler and was always borrowing money from me to pay the fine for it.
http://www.plymouthcentral.com/files/57PF03.jpg

rockyisle 11-17-2013 07:48 AM

Mine was a 1958 Chevy Impala SS - my parents paid $200 for it as my graduation present from high school. It was bright yellow with a kelly green interior.. My Dad said he bought it so people could see me coming down the street. It had great brakes and new tires... Loved that car! Someone t-boned me running a stop sign about 2 years later. I called my Dad from the hospital crying about the car ... Next car was the insurance replacement 1967 Plymouth with push button start - baby blue... $1000. Great memories.

Topspinmo 11-17-2013 08:07 AM

"Chevy Impala SS" 58 was the first year for the impala. 61 was the first year for the impala SS. Probably the rarest impala SS was 61 "409" . most 61 SS had 348's or 283's. I think the 327 didn't come till 62 ?if my memory is correct?

Sweet fury Graciegirl:agree:, should I say "Cristine"! Did it have 392 hemi with dual quads!!!!

Cisco Kid 11-17-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 781692)
It was new and it was beige and gold and it had fins and it had a big motor with some impressive speeds on the dash dial. It was sporty and beautiful to me.

No one in my family had a new car. Sweetie didn't drive it fast when I was in it but I think they both (his twin and him) did a bit of drag racing.

His twin put something noisy on the muffler and was always borrowing money from me to pay the fine for it.
http://www.plymouthcentral.com/files/57PF03.jpg

I love that car
:bigbow:

keithwand 11-17-2013 04:02 PM

1969 Shelby GT 500

keithwand 11-17-2013 04:04 PM

OK it was really a 1963 Corvair for $100.00.
It was in 1972 and had 30,000 actual miles.

manaboutown 11-17-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithwand (Post 782026)
OK it was really a 1963 Corvair for $100.00.
It was in 1972 and had 30,000 actual miles.

A Ralph Nader special!

Bill-n-Brillo 11-17-2013 06:43 PM

My first car was a '53 Dodge Coronet with Fluid Drive - somewhat a semi-automatic transmission with a clutch. Great car for learning how to drive a stick - couldn't stall it! Referred to by my friends as "The Upside-Down Bathtub". Bought it for $50 bucks from a neighbor.......and then proceeded to get plowed into the first time I took it out for a drive. Bummer. Still had my temps/learners permit! A lot of hammer-and-dolly work by my dad and me, some (read: 'a whole bunch of') bondo, and an all-over paint job "ala brush" compliments of my dad as well and I was back in business again! The 'quality' of the bodywork made the side of the car look like a waffle - it certainly wasn't the best job in the world! But my dad and I enjoyed working on it together - it was a learning experience for me.

Kept the Dodge for a few years, got another car or two in the meantime, then sold it to a high school buddy as I got busy with the other cars. My dad's interest in cars and working on them got into my blood big-time......and still hasn't left these many years later!

Bill :)

CFrance 11-17-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 782117)
My first car was a '53 Dodge Coronet with Fluid Drive - somewhat a semi-automatic transmission with a clutch. Great car for learning how to drive a stick - couldn't stall it! Referred to by my friends as "The Upside-Down Bathtub". Bought it for $50 bucks from a neighbor.......and then proceeded to get plowed into the first time I took it out for a drive. Bummer. Still had my temps/learners permit! A lot of hammer-and-dolly work by my dad and me, some (read: 'a whole bunch of') bondo, and an all-over paint job "ala brush" compliments of my dad as well and I was back in business again! The 'quality' of the bodywork made the side of the car look like a waffle - it certainly wasn't the best job in the world! But my dad and I enjoyed working on it together - it was a learning experience for me.

Kept the Dodge for a few years, got another car or two in the meantime, then sold it to a high school buddy as I got busy with the other cars. My dad's interest in cars and working on them got into my blood big-time......and still hasn't left these many years later!

Bill :)

My dad too! He taught me how to help him bleed brakes because my brother wasn't interested. We had the weirdest "second" cars when I was in high school, because he loved to pick up second-hand oddballs. Besides the Triumph Herald, we had a Morris Minor and some German coupe which all I can remember of was that it said "Fahrt" on the dashboard shift indicator. Which, of course, at age 16 I and my friends thought was hilarious.

dgammon6 11-17-2013 08:16 PM

1952 Ford, 3 speed with overdrive, flat head V8, fender skirts. $300

chuckinca 11-17-2013 08:19 PM

My dad bought me a 1950 ford yellow convertible from my uncle when I was 15. It sat in the garage for a year and I drained the battery playing with the top. When I turned 16 he sold it. Had to love my dad!