Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Expert A Golf Cart Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/ask-expert-golf-cart-question-230/)
-   -   Big Dog...best cart? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/ask-expert-golf-cart-question-230/big-dog-best-cart-83948/)

kittygilchrist 07-30-2013 08:03 PM

Big Dog...best cart?

I've got a boxer who can sit it the passenger floorboard but eventually leans her botton onto the gas pedal and jumped out once when startled.
What cart has the largest cab?
how do Curtis cabs affect mileage?
are there any uncommon carts that would work?
what about those with the tray and wooden rails?
thanks...
Kitty

mjdollard 07-30-2013 08:34 PM

There is a style of dog collar, nylon web straps that fit around the neck and around the ribs with two straps (one down the back, one down the chest) with a leash ring on the back. The name of this type escapes me but any large pet shop would have them. Attach the leash as you normally would and either hold it (not a good idea for a large dog) or attach to a seat back brace or some other strong point.
Give her enough slack to sit comfortably but not enough to get past the edge of the cart. Is she spooks she cannot jump out, in an accident or emergency move she cannot be thrown out and the strongest part of her body is securing her.
This website has something like a seat belt for dogs:
Ruff Rider Roadie - Canine Vehicle Restraint
Also, Petsmart has several items that could be adapted. I didn't see anything specifically for a golf cart but you might want to ask - if there is a market someone will make a product.
http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...goryId=3245635

Frank7 07-30-2013 08:41 PM

First question (boxer) make sure the key is off when you are not in cart.
2-Curtis cabs are heavy enough to equal an extra person riding all the time in your cart.
3- Consider a 4 seats forward for you and the pup.
4-most carts are very close to 4 ft wide and the slight difference from one MFG to another
Would not move the boxers butt far enough from front pedals.
5- You may take the option of putting a flip seat on carts rear and put rails on for FIDO

kittygilchrist 07-30-2013 09:16 PM

nice, helpful. thanks to both.

Bosoxfan 07-30-2013 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygilchrist (Post 717082)
I've got a boxer who can sit it the passenger floorboard but eventually leans her botton onto the gas pedal and jumped out once when startled.
What cart has the largest cab?
how do Curtis cabs affect mileage?
are there any uncommon carts that would work?
what about those with the tray and wooden rails?
thanks...
Kitty

My girl Bonyta rides laying on the floor. This is where she feels the most comfortable. Of course we learned to drive with the heel of our foot .

kittygilchrist 07-30-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 717143)
My girl Bonyta rides laying on the floor. This is where she feels the most comfortable. Of course we learned to drive with the heel of our foot .

she's lying underneath your legs while you drive? nice picture.

kittygilchrist 07-30-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank7 (Post 717119)
First question (boxer) make sure the key is off when you are not in cart.
2-Curtis cabs are heavy enough to equal an extra person riding all the time in your cart.
3- Consider a 4 seats forward for you and the pup.
4-most carts are very close to 4 ft wide and the slight difference from one MFG to another
Would not move the boxers butt far enough from front pedals.
5- You may take the option of putting a flip seat on carts rear and put rails on for FIDO

got a website? location for your business?

Frank7 07-30-2013 11:56 PM

Thebatterydoc.com
100 N Dixie Ave
Fruitland PK 32162
352-321-3100
Check our add
<<<<<

gomoho 07-31-2013 08:13 AM

Kitty - sounds like she needs to be desensitized to the cart. Have you tried just sitting in the cart with her - no movement or sound till she gets comfortable. Then short little jaunts to the end of the street and back. I have an 90 pound Aussie and he seems to do best sitting on the floor with his back to me resting against my legs. My Standard Poodle loves the cart but would rather chase it or be chased by it then ride in it - long story going back to our days or work camping in Big Bear Lake Ca. Good luck.

kittygilchrist 07-31-2013 08:51 AM

thanks. she adapts quickly and your baby steps are perfect. She's pretty used to it but still when a startle moment happens, I want her to be secured. I'm thinking about a solar cart with a rear fold down seat and rails AND a harness seat belt...

Skip2MySue 07-31-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygilchrist (Post 717284)
thanks. she adapts quickly and your baby steps are perfect. She's pretty used to it but still when a startle moment happens, I want her to be secured. I'm thinking about a solar cart with a rear fold down seat and rails AND a harness seat belt...

KG, I think it's wonderful that you are thinking about getting your pooch her own golf cart. My main concern is that she will be another driver that never remembers to turn off the blinkers :a20:
Skip 2

kittygilchrist 07-31-2013 12:48 PM

yuk yuk. she can reach the pedal so why not let her drive? oh, she's only 6....dang.

jimbo2012 07-31-2013 02:59 PM

Add a back rack like an old pickup truck, instead of a tail gate make it a ramp.

Extend the roof over for shade and use a larger solar panel too.

kinda like this
http://www.picturesof.net/_images_30...969-091042.jpg

rubicon 07-31-2013 03:05 PM

I am surprised that not one poster express concern about safety issues here

Bogie Shooter 07-31-2013 03:06 PM

Big Dog. How about a Ford 150?