Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Villages police department. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villages-police-department-8474/)

Talk Host 04-27-2007 09:22 AM

Villages police department.

We have a community of nearly 100,000 people. We have a fire department. But there is no law enforcement specific to the Villages. The three sheriff's departments and Lady Lake police have huge areas outside that they have to patrol. :cop:

There has been lots of vandalism and theft inside the Villages. One of the ladies who works at a pro shop at one of the golf courses told me that she and her husband have never owned a gun, but have now purchased one to keep in their home. This is frightening.

Even a Villages police department can't be everywhere, but it would convey a message. Right now, the message is.......there's no law enforcement here. Come on in :verymad:

I am the key holder for a friends house and recently there was an alarm activation while they were away. I went over there and It took the Marion Country Sheriff over 45 minutes to get there. I mean a full 45 minutes. Come on now!

dandt 04-27-2007 09:30 AM

Re: Villages police department.

Not the police in this case, but we witnessed an accident directly across from our house when a beginning motor scooter rider panicked and went full speed into the side of a house.
My wife immediately called 911. At first the operator had to check to ask someone else if they responded to gated communities! It took exactly 23 minutes before any emergency vehicle showed up. A Marion County deputy had meanwhile appeared, saying she was checking a "911 hang-up call." Our call was NOT a hang up and when asked if emergency medical was needed my wife's response was "definitely." There was never any follow up.
By the way, we live about three blocks from the facility near Springdale Pool.

JohnZ 04-27-2007 09:42 AM

Right on. Law enforcement around here is lacking. Vandalism is sometimes difficult to deter. But that said, I can't imagine a group of septagenarian hooligans pranking their neighbors. Wouldn't kids stand-out around here. Sheesh. I'd love to see the citizen patrol all decked-out in full-camo hiding in the bushes on the mid-night watch. Now THAT's a citizen patrol.

Donna 04-29-2007 08:58 AM

Well..What is the answer here..Is it possible to form a PD in The Villages?? I have no idea how you would go about this..I think it's a great idea..
I have a permit to carry a firearm in Pa..I am more than willing to join the Villages, PD.....
Then I can move there full time, because duty calls..LOL
:agree:

ncic5 04-30-2007 06:39 AM

I agree that the time has come for a greater law enforcement presence in The Villages. Unfortunately our gates are open allowing access to Sumter Landing and the Village Square to nonresidents. As a current Federal Law Enforcement Officer, I do not feel secure in my own home and feel the need to keep the doors locked even when I am inside.

The posted speed limits in the community appear to be a starting point. Everyone must obey the posted speed limits; residents, contractors and visitors. There are different approaches that could be taken regarding fines and penalties for speeders and motor vehicle law violators. First time violators could have their name's published in the newspaper, written warnings for second time offenders and for multiple offenders fines could be imposed. If the fines are not paid, then a lien is put on the property.

Most of us are concerned about safety and for those that are not as concerned need a gentle reminder and for some other only a set of silver bracelets will do:-)

Kitria 04-30-2007 05:17 PM

Don't know if this would fit here, however, here it goes. I do believe in order to have our own PD and Fire...we must inc. Perhaps when the developers run out of land and sell their last new home, The Villages could become its own city. That way we would be voting on money that directly comes to us..stays with us.. and is spent on just us.

Just a thought.

Talk Host 04-30-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitria
Don't know if this would fit here, however, here it goes. I do believe in order to have our own PD and Fire...we must inc. Perhaps when the developers run out of land and sell their last new home, The Villages could become its own city. That way we would be voting on money that directly comes to us..stays with us.. and is spent on just us.

Just a thought.

Kitria,

The Villages already has it's own fire department with a public safety director...Mike Tucker. They have four or five fire stations with a full arsenal of beautiful pumpers, ladder trucks and squad trucks.

JLK

Kitria 05-01-2007 07:12 PM

I knew that we had a great fire department..but I thought they were affliated with each town the Villages sections were in.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Then we shouldn't be paying for fire protection on our taxes to the county?..or is that a stupid question. Or..in reality..are they county fire department..not the The Villages specifically? Or they are stationed specifically in the Villages paid by the county.

peepop 05-14-2007 10:41 AM

I actually believe that we cannot have our own police department under the laws that form the VCCDD and the SLCDD. We are allowed to have fire protection services specific to the Villages but not police.

peepop 05-14-2007 10:42 AM

Whoops pushed the post button too soon. You can check with Pete Wahl or Janet Tutt at the administration offices to verify what I said above.

JohnZ 05-14-2007 05:30 PM

ncic5: You're a current Federal Law Enforcment officer and don't feel secure in your own home......in
The Villages? Holy Cow!!!!! I gave my 12 gauge pump to my son before I came down to The Villages. Maybe that was a mistake huh?

ldjessup 05-17-2007 04:37 PM

Disney has park "security" supplemented by the sheriff's department. I believe they were created under the same state law as The Villages? I'm not sure they can arrest anyone, but they can certainly make you leave the property and they call the sheriff when necessary to put you in the slammer.
I have considered always entering The Villages through the visitors gate since it is always much faster than using our goofy gate pass. Wish they had adopted the garage door concept or why bother having a gate at all. It's open house as far as I can tell.
DJ

JohnZ 05-17-2007 05:54 PM

It's beautiful in The Villages. Is this a reality here? After some reflection, beer in hand, sitting out on the lanai watching the sun-set.....I think....yes....it's a reality. Is it safe? After some more thought, reflecting back to my younger and wilder days in Queens, NY.....yeah.....I think....pretty safe.