Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Lawn Care (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/lawn-care-8577/)

villagerjudy 06-03-2007 02:08 PM

Lawn Care

I just got my Bates bill and........I am looking at my UGLY lawn. Somehow the cost doesn't compute with the appearance of my grass. Has anyone tried "Once A Year" pest and lawn service? Or any other service (I know that Massey is good but they are high)

REDCART 06-03-2007 02:29 PM

Re: Lawm Care

Just this week, we received a renewal contract in the mail from Zoysia Green. As expected, they're up from last year. 6 lawn treatments $270 (prepaid for the year $243.) You can add 6 shrub treatment (fungicide) for another $60. This might work for folks with a real piece of property but for a villa and the postage-size grassy area we have, $300 for the year is too much. Zoysia Green and Dean's Pest Service appear to be related companies.

Last year when we were overrun with milipedes, they told us these bugs were nondestructive and that there was no effective way to control them. They claims these bugs migrate twice a year through central Florida and you just have to live with them.

rjrex 06-03-2007 04:42 PM

I use Leeco pest control for my grass. They are not cheap but competitive.
You can tell where Leeco stops and another lawn service starts by the shade grass.

sparky 06-04-2007 04:26 PM

I signed on with Once-A-Year last summer after I found out that the stuff you buy at the store won't kill the chinch bugs. They do a a good job, lawn looks great. They take care of 5 or 6 yards on my street.

They could do a better job of spot killing the weeds. When I notice weeds I call and they are there the next day. Really can't complain about their service.

purple_worm 06-05-2007 09:23 AM

We had "Once Year" at our Tornado'd home, and we were happy with what they did, for the price. If we had a problem, we just called, and they were out there very quickly. And they came every month on the day they were scheduled.

This house we're renting has FERTIGATOR. This lawn is very green, but I Question how well their all natural pesticide works. Don't know how much Fertigator costs.

marjean 07-01-2008 12:03 PM

Re: Lawn Care

We have Once a Year and have been with them for about 3 years. The service is pretty good for the price. They come when you call. Problem we're having now, though, is damage that one of their techs said was chinch bug damage, but now that we want to take advantage of their "guarantee", the damage they say is caused by lack of water. They gave us a ridiculous price to re-sod at a "discounted" price which is about 7 times more than what we could fix it ourselves.

Ooper 07-01-2008 12:56 PM

:agree:

I've found Once-a-Year don't hold to their guarantee either. I've had very obvious dead spots growing on my lawn since last Fall and nothing was ever done to correct the situation. The techs would come regularly and just do their thing and leave the receipt, no suggestions or recommendations. This should have been taken care of months ago. We hired them to make sure our lawn stayed green and beautiful... simple concept. Our lawn now is the worse one in the neighborhood. Where I come from, a guarantee is a guarantee. Their "guarantee" is maybe covering 10% of their cost to fix my lawn. Don't believe it when they say they guarantee their work!... The only thing they guarantee is to bill you more for their mistakes.

drdodge 07-01-2008 01:50 PM

I do my own lawn care. Fertilize every 3 months with a fertilizer and bug control. I have best lawn on street{2481 Cherokee Ct, Lynnhaven[ drive by and see for yourself. Takes about 10 min to apply material, cheap and good results.
drd

JohnN 07-04-2008 03:59 AM

drd,
I think I'm going to follow your plan when I get there.

What exactly do you use to fertilize and get the bugs, and how often? thanks bud

carlent 07-14-2008 01:04 AM

just take out all the lawn and put in rocks and easy to care for Florida plants and you will all save a bunch of money. Zero-Scaping will help to save the world

Carlent

gg 02-19-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdodge (Post 135156)
I do my own lawn care. Fertilize every 3 months with a fertilizer and bug control. I have best lawn on street{2481 Cherokee Ct, Lynnhaven[ drive by and see for yourself. Takes about 10 min to apply material, cheap and good results.
drd

Just exactly what do you use for your fertilizer and insect control. Just a Scott's product. I do my own lawn care up north and it does not take that long but I don't know anything about a Florida yard. Can you help?

Gerry

Rag Bagger 02-22-2010 10:15 AM

Scotts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg (Post 249546)
Just exactly what do you use for your fertilizer and insect control. Just a Scott's product. I do my own lawn care up north and it does not take that long but I don't know anything about a Florida yard. Can you help?

Gerry

We have been doing our own also. Three or four times a year. Use scotts products. I use weeed and feed once and regular scotts the other times unless I see some weeds coming on. Our yard looks better than most. The products are for zoysia (sp) grass.

adouglas 04-10-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdodge (Post 135156)
drd

Wondering if you still take care of your lawn - fertilizer and pests?
Would love to know the product you use and schedule.

KeepingItReal 04-10-2013 01:08 PM

Pest Control

Quote:

Originally Posted by adouglas (Post 657076)
Wondering if you still take care of your lawn - fertilizer and pests?
Would love to know the product you use and schedule.

This web site below has all the pest products and fungicides you might need and some fertilizers but I use Scotts with Iron which you can get most anywhwere including Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sparr, and Sam's. Sam's has Scott's in a 12,000 Square Foot coverage bag for about $44.00..

Tal Star Granules does a good job on mole crickets and other pests including ants.

Click across the top once on the site to find different products needed by product or by the pest you need it for..shipping is included. Each product label, precautions, and the product's intended use can be reviewed on line before you order.

Do It Yourself Pest Control Products & Supplies | Do My Own Pest Control

http://www.sodsolutions.com/zoysia_maintenance_spring

Nancy King can set you up to get a journal each month that has a lot of good Florida information, E mail her and just request it be E mailed to you each month, she is very helpful.

to: kingsumner1 <kingsumner1@mac.com>
date: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
subject: April Gardeners Journal