Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   Has the music changed-WVLG640? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/has-music-changed-wvlg640-87050/)

Yorio 09-01-2013 01:46 PM

Has the music changed-WVLG640?

When we bought our house few years ago, I thought many of the songs on WVLG640 were songs from the 50s. These days I feel many of the songs are from the 70s. Is this because the demographics changed? I read one post indicating average age of TV owners are 60 and 61. If that is so, I guess music from our age group will be sidelined unfortunately.

DandyGirl 09-01-2013 01:58 PM

I have noticed more recent decades being played but still hear a lot of 50s and 60s music.

Bogie Shooter 09-01-2013 02:18 PM

Now you know the purpose of the tuning dial/button!:laugh:

redwitch 09-01-2013 05:55 PM

I used to love 50/60's music. Sadly, I OD'd on it here -- to the point I can't even hear some of my old favorites without flinching. But I have noticed a little more variety in the music of WGLV. It helps. Still wish there was more blues and jazz in TV's radio and in the squares, but am grateful for the little I hear.

jblum315 09-01-2013 07:15 PM

I have lived in many places. I have never before lived in a place where you can go around the dial, AM-FM, and get maybe 2 or 3 stations and those playing the world's cheesiest music.

gustavo 09-01-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorio (Post 737345)
When we bought our house few years ago, I thought many of the songs on WVLG640 were songs from the 50s. These days I feel many of the songs are from the 70s. Is this because the demographics changed? I read one post indicating average age of TV owners are 60 and 61. If that is so, I guess music from our age group will be sidelined unfortunately.

It's about time, I need them to start playing 80's music.

DougB 09-01-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 737523)
I have lived in many places. I have never before lived in a place where you can go around the dial, AM-FM, and get maybe 2 or 3 stations and those playing the world's cheesiest music.

What's AM?

graciegirl 09-01-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 737548)
What's AM?

It's kinda like hi fi.

redwitch 09-01-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 737548)
What's AM?

It's what should be banned from life (mornings, that is).

casita37 09-01-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 737492)
I used to love 50/60's music. Sadly, I OD'd on it here -- to the point I can't even hear some of my old favorites without flinching. But I have noticed a little more variety in the music of WGLV. It helps. Still wish there was more blues and jazz in TV's radio and in the squares, but am grateful for the little I hear.

Thought it was great to have an almost exclusively oldies station.....for a while!! I got tired of it pretty quickly. I found 98.5 fm on a road trip up to Gainesville, and I can pick it up almost everywhere around TV, as long as I don't go too far south. I can also get it on the house radio. 70's through today. About every 10th song, I don't really care for. One thing I really like is they actually tell you who you are listening to....not every song, but often.

They don't play today's alternative music or anything else that often doesn't appeal to mature audiences, as long as you don't want just oldies. I am loving Pink, Bruno Mars and even Taylor Swift!! :)...and really pleased with myself to be a little more up to date.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-01-2013 10:50 PM

I would think that the music on the Villages "oldies" station would change over the years. As we get older different music becomes "oldies". Music made in 1993 was twenty years ago. If you were a teenager in the mid 60s, music from the 90s to today's music would be comparable to Benny Goodman to us back then.

Russ_Boston 09-02-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 737523)

Could you clarify your statement? Are you saying that you can only receive 2-3 stations here in TV? I know that's not the case since I have 12 pre-sets on my radio. Now if you're saying that only 2-3 of those stations are good - that's a matter of opinion.

jhrc4 09-02-2013 05:22 AM

WVLG 64, Does a decent job especially the early show. The variety of music goes along with your never ever going to please such a vast audience. Never.
That said the Saturday programing it is practically all Rock and Roll 50's style.
For me ??? Earth Wind and Fire, George Benson, Bee Gees, Kool and The Gang, Michael Feinstein, Electric Light Orchestra, George Shearing,The Four Freshmen, Four Aces. and not forgetting, Barry White. Now That's Variety...throw in Faron Young as well. Many More of course.

Villageswimmer 09-02-2013 05:45 AM

I like WVLG but can't get it on the am dial in my house...only in my car. Anyone else have that problem? Hubby accuses me of having bought a cheap radio.

Number 6 09-02-2013 12:37 PM

I just got in from a short drive listening to Sixties at 6 on Sirius radio. They just played, back to back, both versions of the Sounds of Silence. You will never hear that on WVLG. As I have said, if they play Barry Manilow more than the Beatles, you know there is something very wrong! Check out satellite radio!