Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Picking up broken tees (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/picking-up-broken-tees-87932/)

Russ_Boston 09-10-2013 02:33 PM

Picking up broken tees

Can anyone tell me a legitimate reason why the ambassadors on the execs have to pick up the broken tees ALL DAY LONG? I can see doing it near the end of day so the mowers don't chew them up in the morning. But every course I've played outside of TV let's the broken tees stay on the par 3 tee boxes so others can use the remnants instead of breaking another tee (think of the trees!). They usually leave a small box near the tee markers for broken tees.

So if you are an ambassador or know one please let me know the logic behind this. Seems odd.

BarryRX 09-10-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 743248)
Can anyone tell me a legitimate reason why the ambassadors on the execs have to pick up the broken tees ALL DAY LONG? I can see doing it near the end of day so the mowers don't chew them up in the morning. But every course I've played outside of TV let's the broken tees stay on the par 3 tee boxes so others can use the remnants instead of breaking another tee (think of the trees!). They usually leave a small box near the tee markers for broken tees.

So if you are an ambassador or know one please let me know the logic behind this. Seems odd.

Russ, I understand from those that have been here longer than I have that we used to have a small box on each tee for the broken tees, but for some reason they removed them. I usually just put my broken tees in my back pocket and use them again if I can, or throw them out when I get home.

OldManTime 09-10-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 743248)

A quite simple reason, they are told to, and they don't ask questions because there is a line of Ambassadors want-a-be's a mile long, so they don't rock the boat

Russ_Boston 09-10-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManTime (Post 743251)
A quite simple reason, they are told to, and they don't ask questions because there is a line of Ambassadors want-a-be's a mile long, so they don't rock the boat

I know that - they've told me that every time I ask. Just wondering if anyone knows why golf management feels that it is a good practice.

Bogie Shooter 09-10-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 743254)
I know that - they've told me that every time I ask. Just wondering if anyone knows why golf management feels that it is a good practice.

Russ, maybe you should ask them. You know any reply you get on here is just an opinion.:)

Steve & Deanna 09-10-2013 03:28 PM

I would think that golfers would pick up their own broken tees when they are able. Just good common sense and being neat....but that's just me.

jojo 09-10-2013 03:44 PM

I pick up others' broken tees. Should I be leaving them?

Milo123 09-10-2013 05:16 PM

As a former stockholder (part owner) in a golf course in another state I can tell you our management feelings of why we picked up broken and discarded tees all day long. I suspect this is exactly why ( in my opinion) that the Villages does so also. Broken or discarded tees are like garbage. We picked up our tees all day long during play to keep the tee areas looking nice. We also had many comments about how nice our tee areas looked compared to other golf courses in our area. Our neighboring courses say it requires too much time and manpower to do this continually all day long. I have visited the Villages numerous times and am considering moving there someday. One of the things we enjoyed was how clean the areas on the sides of the roads, public areas etc were. Free of garbage almost all the time. Same goes for the tee box res. when we first played in the Villages I was pleased to see the Ambassadors picking up broken and discarded tees all day long. MI appreciate the clean look of the tee areas just like I enjoy a lack of trash on the streets and sides of the roads etc. my hats is off to the Anbassadors for whatever reason they do it. Now I will say that for two years we kept the little tee collection boxes on our tee for broken tees, but usually people dumped them out when they needed a broken tee and now we had the same problem. We removed them after a few years and now most of our usual players have gotten into the practice of picking up their broken tees without us having to do much. Just pick up your used or broken tees as you play, put them in your pocket, and you should have more than enough broken tees to play all day long. Of course this is just my opinion, but I thought I'd let you know the reasoning behind one former golf management position on the reasoning from a management perspective. It jut looks much nicer, and that's one of the great things I enjoy about the Villages. I suspect there are others that feel the same.

Mikeod 09-10-2013 05:32 PM

Russ, just another opinion. There will be many more broken tees on an executive 9 than on a regulation 9. On average, there are eight times you may break a tee on an executive course versus 2 on the other. So, there tends to be a lot more broken tees on the executive courses. Would you rather have to pick all those broken tees from the entire day on every hole after hours, or share the workload with other ambassadors by picking up some periodically during the course of the day? Plus, waiting until the end of the day effectively takes the ambassador away from their primary purpose.

gomoho 09-10-2013 05:36 PM

I am guessing the same folks that don't pick up their dog poop, don't pick up their broken tees.

mickey100 09-10-2013 07:19 PM

Probably the same ones that don't fix their ball marks either.

fred53 09-10-2013 10:04 PM

We pick up broken tees to keep the tee area looking neat and making it easier for the next golfer to tee it up.

They used to have small containers for the broken tees but it was decided it didn't look very nice so they stopped using them.

I have no problem picking up the broken and unbroken tees. They go into a small tin bucket and if anyone wants to use/take them I'd be happy to let them choose the ones they want.

Personally I don't think tees are expensive and if I break all of mine I buy more. You can get 100 of them for about $5 to $8 from amazon...no tax/no shipping if you spend enough. One bag lasts a season or more...my hndcp is about a 5 so I break my share.

Good luck and have fun....don't sweat the small stuff. :-)

asianthree 09-11-2013 07:32 AM

I like to use a broken experienced tee...

Russ_Boston 09-14-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 743670)
I like to use a broken experienced tee...

That was my point. Why waste natural resources when a used one works fine. (Actually I almost always just place on a nice piece of turf to simulate my second shot on a par 4 - just for practice)

I love how TOTV people misread a question.

> NO I'm not cheap and don't NEED to use a broken tee.
> NO I don't like DIRTY looking tee boxes.
> YES I repair and repair and repair mine and ALL ball marks on the green

I personally don't think the broken tee collection system (putting a small box on the side) looks bad but to each their own.

RVRoadie 09-14-2013 09:43 AM

The ambassadors pick up broken tees for the same reason they pick up any trash they find on the course. When was the last time you saw any litter on a golf course, or for that matter anywhere in The Villages. It happens, just doesn't stay on the ground for long.