Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Report: World slightly happier than it used to be (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/report-world-slightly-happier-than-used-88061/)

Villages PL 09-11-2013 04:24 PM

Report: World slightly happier than it used to be

This article was in the Daily Sun today (09-11-13): "Report: World slightly happier than it used to be"

Happiest countries:
1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. Sweden
6. Canada
17. United States

Seventeenth out of more than 150 countries isn't bad, but there's room for improvement. As far as I can tell, they didn't give any clue as to how they went about ranking so many countries. So it's not likely we would know what we need to do to bring about improvement.

1) What do you think we need, as a country, to do to be happier?

2) If they were to rank The Villages separately, where would we be on the list?

3) Do you think The Villages, and other retirement communities like ours, contributed much to our #17 standing?

Note: I have a feeling they used universal health care as part of their ranking system, so most likely this report is biased. And who knows in what other ways it might be biased.

jblum315 09-11-2013 04:36 PM

I dunno. I've always heard there are more suicides in Sweden than any other country, yet it's ranked as 5th happiest out of a hundred?

DougB 09-11-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 743973)
I dunno. I've always heard there are more suicides in Sweden than any other country, yet it's ranked as 5th happiest out of a hundred?

You heard wrong.

kbace6 09-11-2013 05:07 PM

Sweeden #44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 743973)

According to Wikipedia, Sweeden is ranked 44 out of 110 countries listed at 11.1 suicides per 100,000 people. For context the USA is ranked 33 at 12 suicides per 100,000 people.

Maybe you were thinking about Greenland, it is #1 and off the charts.

Come to your own conclusions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_suicide_rate

buggyone 09-11-2013 06:03 PM

Yes, the first six all have universal health care. No, the AP reported it so there was certainly no bias toward universal health care.

graciegirl 09-11-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 743969)
This article was in the Daily Sun today (09-11-13): "Report: World slightly happier than it used to be"

Happiest countries:
1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. Sweden
6. Canada
17. United States

Seventeenth out of more than 150 countries isn't bad, but there's room for improvement. As far as I can tell, they didn't give any clue as to how they went about ranking so many countries. So it's not likely we would know what we need to do to bring about improvement.

1) What do you think we need, as a country, to do to be happier?

2) If they were to rank The Villages separately, where would we be on the list?

3) Do you think The Villages, and other retirement communities like ours, contributed much to our #17 standing?

Note: I have a feeling they used universal health care as part of their ranking system, so most likely this report is biased. And who knows in what other ways it might be biased.

Blondes do have more fun.

I knew that.

buggyone 09-11-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 744036)
Blondes do have more fun.

I knew that.

Gracie always has the best answer for everything, doesn't she? :bowdown:

Monkei 09-11-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 744018)
Yes, the first six all have universal health care. No, the AP reported it so there was certainly no bias toward universal health care.

how could it be biased? Either they have it or they don't.

Monkei 09-11-2013 07:33 PM

I saw that list and there was something weird I seem to remember about the country right ahead of us or right below us, can't remember. It was something like I can't believe they beat us out. Maybe it was Mexico.

chuckinca 09-12-2013 01:16 AM

How can people be happy in some of the coldest places on earth?

(1.Denmark 2. Norway 3. Switzerland 4. Netherland 5. Sweden 6. Canada)

skyguy79 09-12-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 744018)

IMHO saying that "the first six having universal health care" in and of itself is not necessarily a good or bad thing and it can be pretty much a moot point if not properly, thoroughly and honestly defined. UHC can be likened to our world's water supplies where the water in one area can be pristine and highly palatable whereas in another it can be chock full of contaminants and hazardous to our health!

buggyone 09-12-2013 09:46 AM

...and I do agree with SkyGuy - it is his opinion. Mine falls in the area that universal health care leads to the happier lifestyle.

Monkei 09-12-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donb9006 (Post 744136)
White, white, white, white... The lower the percentage of "minorities"...the happier the people are. Diversity is the great lie.

Come on, everybody finds someone to hate.

perrjojo 09-12-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 744139)
How can people be happy in some of the coldest places on earth?

(1.Denmark 2. Norway 3. Switzerland 4. Netherland 5. Sweden 6. Canada)

Just what I was thinking. You took the words right out of my mouth. Oh and short daylight hours and lack of sunshine.

buggyone 09-12-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perrjojo (Post 744448)
Just what I was thinking. You took the words right out of my mouth. Oh and short daylight hours and lack of sunshine.

Or 22 hours of sun in the summertime!!!

Do not forget saunas, blondes, and herring!