Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Summer Living in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/summer-living-tv-8833/)

Don 07-18-2007 02:52 PM

Summer Living in TV

My reluctant wife and I are planning on moving to TV sometime next year. She is very concerned about the heat and humidity in Florida (we currently live in Indiana) and therefore thinks we should maintain two residences. I tell her that's not financially feasible so she wants me to ask you members your thoughts on Summer Living in TV. Any input will be appreciated.

Gwen 07-18-2007 03:09 PM

Re: Summer Living in TV

It's hot in the Summer, about 12 weeks worth. Where isn't it hot? Everything is air-conditioned, and it takes one full season to get used to it. The good thought is that the winters are "FABULOUS", and that weather sticks around alot longer. :welcome:

Talk Host 07-18-2007 03:48 PM

I think it is more humid in Indiana that it is in the Villages

nanci2539 07-18-2007 04:17 PM

I have to agree with TalkHost - We visited last July and it was hotter in IL with more humidity than it was in TV. In the evening at the square, it was nice and comfortable and we didn't find it unbearable at all. The weather in the midwest during July and August is very hot and humid.

PJ 07-18-2007 05:21 PM

Yes, it's hot outside in mid-day right now, but it's pretty easy to plan your day around the weather I think. And you can escape into the AC just about anywhere.

I selected August 2 yrs ago to do my "lifestyle tour" in TV, because I wanted to see if I could stand the heat, and found it was not unbearable. The gorgeous blue sky and puffy white clouds almost all the time, almost year round, MORE than make up for a few blasts of heat, IMHO.

REDCART 07-18-2007 05:29 PM

Just wanted to chime in with my two cents. We spent the first two weeks of July last year in TV and found it very pleasant, high 80's during the day and low 70's at night. This year, we found July to be hotter and more humid. So like most places, there's some variance from year to year. Up North when it rains, it ususally cools things off. In Florida however, the rain didn't seem to make a difference in the temperature.

darbyduff 07-18-2007 07:22 PM

I don't care where you live, there is a problem with weather at least for a few weeks or months out of the year. Friend lives in Arizona- it was 110 there yesterday... But they say... "Oh but it's DRY heat"!!!! Relative lives in Michigan..Has to set the alarm for 3:00 a.m. so she can dump the water in the dehumidifier. Here in Colorado we've had 95-105 temp for over 3 weeks. Don't have aircondition and am baking here. Winter storms in most of the United States....Ok, you get the picture. You can adjust to anything given the time.

You guys will be just fine I'm sure. Sometimes a major move like that brings on the anxiety and you look for anything that might keep you where you are.

Frangyomory 07-18-2007 08:29 PM

This is our third summer here and believe me, you acclimate. I now go to the pool at 8 am and do my walking exercise...it is an adult neighborhood pool and not busy in the am. I exercise, then just loll about and take in the sun until about 11 am. At that point, I head home, shower and change for whatever activity I have planned for that afternoon. Some afternoons I just relax at home in the a/c pleasure.

We had worse summers in NYC and in Virginia so the summer here is no big bother to me. Believe me when I tell you that you can enjoy year 'round living, as we do. There is simply no place like this and weather simply is not a problem.

Best of luck and I hope you move here soon!!!! :welcome:

SteveZ 07-19-2007 12:32 PM

I lived in FL (Orlando area) for 25 years before moving to the DC area three years ago. Can't wait to move back full-time (April 2009 is it!). Until then, it's part-time only - but I'll take it no matter what month it is.

Like anything it takes just a little getting-used-to, but you get to learn how very quickly. Many folk worry about how hot it may get and for how long. It's no hotter in Central FL than just about anywhere else gets in the summer. The humidity may get higher than some places, but that too grows on you.

What I love is the lack of smog. With the breezes coming either from the Gulf side or the Atlantic side, the air is cleaner than just about anywhere.

Will be back in the Sunshine State on Sunday (appropriately!) and passing papers on our new TV home on Monday morning. It's like an early Christmas!!!!

vsanantonio 07-19-2007 01:51 PM

I live in Rhode Island but have a home in TV I just came back a week ago and it is not bad at all it gets that hot in RI moving down full time the end of the year. No more RI winters

RayB 07-19-2007 08:36 PM

My wife and I have lived in Tampa for twenty one years and just moved up here to the The Villages. I have never been concerned about the summer temperatures. Once one gets used to the humidity it is fine. Often in the summer the temperature here is lower than the temperature up north. I tell you one thing - I will take the summer humidity any day over those winter snow storms and freezing rain one gets up north in the Winter. We just get use to staying indoors more in the summer just like the snowbirds do in the winter up north.

golfnut 07-19-2007 08:39 PM

I'm surprised that people think it's more humid in the north than FLA, that's not been my experience.