Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/advice-options-phone-tv-internet-8841/)

KenMac 07-19-2007 02:05 PM

Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

We are moving into our new TV home within a month and would like to hear other resident' ideas on
options for new services to provide for phone, TV (HD), and Hi-Speed Internet.

We currently have Comcast for TV/HSI and local phone coverage, but am researching other options and would appreciate any advise you can provide (costs, good/bad experiences, cable vs dish, etc.).

I have looked at Embarq with Dish Network (~ $134/month with unlimited long distance).

What do you have, and how do you like it? Roughly what are the monthly costs?

Thanks in advance! I will appreciate any advice or comment.

PJ 07-19-2007 02:48 PM

Re: Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

One thing that I found that disappointed me is that there is no competition in TV for land-line phone service! Embarq (AKA Embarf) has a monopoly here on landlines. I've asked the people at Verizon why they don't compete, and was told TV developers didn't allow them in, except for cell phone service. Isn't that illegal?

Doesn't anyone remember back in the 80's when the gov't broke up AT&T and ruled against monopolies? Maybe TV dev didn't hear the news about that.

I love living in TV, but would appreciate open competition for everything, including land-line phones. More options, lower prices, etc. would be good IMO.

Frangyomory 07-19-2007 10:10 PM

Unfortunately, not much competition is available in TV and I think also due to developer choice.

We had comcast cable and internet and Embarq local phone service with cell phone Verizon for long distance. Did not like comcast.

We now have Dish for television; earthlink/embarq for internet; Embarq for local/land line and Verizon cell service which we use for long distance. This is a bundled package except for cell service.

I don't think one is really better than the other but my husband prefers Dish for the television because of the channels it offers.

BarryB 07-20-2007 12:14 AM

This is disappointing since I'm a Verizon retiree

Avista 07-20-2007 06:04 AM

We have Vonage for our phone service and are pleased with it. We pay about $15 / month for 500 outgoing minutes per month. I think it s about $25/ a minute for unlimited minutes. Barb

ditzyfitzy 08-12-2007 09:23 AM

Does anyone know if service from Sprint works in The Villages?
It would be nice to know that my cell phone will work when I visit for two months...
Thanks,
Lynn

Avista 08-12-2007 10:36 AM

We signed up for Vonage when we moved in. We pay $15 per month for 500 outgoing calls a month. That is plenty for us. It is a little bit more for unlimited calls. Have used is 60 months and are very pleased. Barb

Patty 08-12-2007 10:42 AM

DitzyFitzy, We have Sprint land line (new name is Embarq) and also Sprint at our store which is located on the Northern end of the Villages. We pay for a basic package and then pay $15/month for unlimited long distance calls. We have not had any problems with them for 4 years (3 of which we rented out the home to others)

Also, for staying in contact with some others around the world - we use skype and googletalk which are both free services as long as you are speaking from computer to computer. Sound is very clear too.

ditzyfitzy 08-12-2007 10:44 AM

Thanks...but, I was asking about my current CELL PHONE.
Hopefully, Sprint will work in TV--because that is my service...and I am only visiting for two months!
Lynn

patfinn 08-12-2007 10:54 AM

Lynn,

If you check on the Sprint website, it looks as if Sprint cellphone coverage is very spotty in the area. Based on this, I was contemplating switching to Verizon wireless when I come down later this year.

Pat

ditzyfitzy 08-12-2007 11:00 AM

Thanks so much.
Unfortunately, I am under contract with Sprint for a bit longer.....It is fine everywhere else I go---(I even made a call to the US when I was in AFRICA!). Just hope that TV isn't too "remote"!
Lynn

villager99 08-12-2007 11:48 AM

you may need to go wirh a pay as you go at & t cell phone for your brief stay in tv. although someone mentioned tracphone.
tv is is plopped down in a fairly rural area.

jim16g 08-12-2007 01:39 PM

Has anyone had difficulty using Tracfones in TV? Could they be used to replace the land line? Thanks.

villages07 08-12-2007 02:07 PM

I use tracfone for my occaisional cell phone need; if you are much of a talker, it's probably not cost-effective to be your primary phone line. I have had no problems placing, receiving, or maintaining calls with tracfone.

Landline...embarq (nee Sprint) is the only game...their lowest end, no frills service (unlimited local calls) is $15/month...but the taxes bring that up to $26/month.

It all depends on how much you use the phone...

lmtemple 08-16-2007 12:49 PM

I have sprint for our cell phone and although I've only been at TV a short time I've not had any issues to date........