Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   water lot homes - any concerns? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-lot-homes-any-concerns-88571/)

Hopeful2 09-16-2013 08:56 PM

water lot homes - any concerns?

I love the beauty of a water lot property but was wondering if mosquitoes and other insects become an issue. . . or are there any other issues of concern when buying a home that backs to water?
Thanks for any feedback!

graciegirl 09-16-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeful2 (Post 747124)
I love the beauty of a water lot property but was wondering if mosquitoes and other insects become an issue. . . or are there any other issues of concern when buying a home that backs to water?
Thanks for any feedback!

CQuick has told us that the frogs are pretty loud. Not her neighbors the ones in the water.

justjim 09-16-2013 09:47 PM

Except for bugs, snakes and gators there is nothing wrong with waterfront lots in Florida. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

kittygilchrist 09-16-2013 09:49 PM

I'm on water. depends if it's a prairie, a preserve, a golfing lake, or what and what time of year...I get minimal insects on the birdcage, guess you'd have to be specific. No mosquitoes even outside the cage. lovebugs like the never ending row of night lamps, so I turned mine off.

twinklesweep 09-17-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 747150)
Except for bugs, snakes and gators there is nothing wrong with waterfront lots in Florida. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

This is pretty much what I have heard over the years about waterfront properties, particularly about snakes (mostly harmless, I'm told). A local tradesman who was born and grew up here and is grateful to TV for his business (whom I found through TOTV recommendation) has often commented about TV being built with the mandated water catchment basins which are then marketed as upscale (that is, "up-priced") waterfront lots....

LuvlyJubly 09-17-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinklesweep (Post 747173)
This is pretty much what I have heard over the years about waterfront properties, particularly about snakes (mostly harmless, I'm told). A local tradesman who was born and grew up here and is grateful to TV for his business (whom I found through TOTV recommendation) has often commented about TV being built with the mandated water catchment basins which are then marketed as upscale (that is, "up-priced") waterfront lots....

Did someone mention snakes? Guess I shall cross "waterfront" on our house lot choice off our list!!! :22yikes:

Barefoot 09-17-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeful2 (Post 747124)
Thanks for any feedback!

We back on two small ponds. No mosquitos, no snakes, just the sweet lullaby of frogs serenading you to sleep. And in the morning you waken to see all the birds fish for food. If you're lucky, you may see pelicans and Sandhills cranes. Water lots are awesome.

Cedwards38 09-17-2013 06:11 AM

Uhhhh, gators eating your dogs? Maybe not. :smiley:

shcisamax 09-17-2013 07:04 AM

One of the iffy things about some of the water lots is there is the possibility the "water" will dry up...TV does not guarantee the water will be there in the future. I was told that is what happened in Belvedere which annoyed some owners. I think the marshes might be concerning because in drought, everything would start to grow with the increase sun and then with a small amount of water, would grow even faster until ...no more marsh. The retaining ponds probably have a better chance because they can divert water here and there accordingly.

JE Greenwood 09-17-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 747181)
We back on two small ponds. No mosquitos, no snakes, just the sweet lullaby of frogs serenading you to sleep. And in the morning you waken to see all the birds fish for food. If you're lucky, you may see pelicans and Sandhills cranes. Water lots are awesome.

This sounds like heaven! Enjoy!

Hopeful2 09-17-2013 07:22 AM

Regrets on buying a water view lot?

Does anyone know of anyone who bought a water view lot at The Villages...but later came to regret their decision?

jane032657 09-17-2013 07:31 AM

We live on the water side of Mission Hills and also face Live Oaks Park. We wake up to the lake glistening, the birds flying, the huge sky over the lake. We have a birdcage and do not have any bug issues except the same as everyone else like love bugs. The sound of the frogs and crickets at night is entertaining. I would not move and am happy we made the choice to pay the extra and live there. It really is peaceful and private.

cquick 09-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 747136)
CQuick has told us that the frogs are pretty loud. Not her neighbors the ones in the water.

The frogs are only loud in the hot summer, they have actually quieted down already. No sound from them at all in the winter, of course.

We don't notice any more bugs here than we had at the villa or the house in Liberty Park. It is nice to see the ducks and egrets and other water birds.

Hopeful2 09-18-2013 08:36 AM

Thank you for all your responses! It does sound like people who have bought a water view property are very happy with their decision.

samhass 09-18-2013 09:17 AM

We are right on Lake Sumter. The lake offers us so many different sights. Sometimes it looks like millions of diamonds have been dropped on the surface of the water. The water color changes with the color of the sky. Sometimes it looks pink and another time it may look indigo, or white..or like glass. It is always beautiful and I will never tire of it. Bugs, snakes, and alligators exist everywhere in central Florida. I certainly would not give up my lakefront for any of them.