Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/life-villages-great-everyione-seems-say-8861/)

ouma1938 07-21-2007 06:07 PM

Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

My husband and I are going to try and sell our house move to The Villages. We are coming down for a few days in August to look at the area. I have been reading these posts for a few weeks and everyone seems to just love it there. I never read anything about problems. Is it really that wonderful or am I just not seeing any problem posts. It just seems too good to be true. I hope it is. I'd love to get opinions, good or not so good.
Thanks

whartonjelly 07-21-2007 06:53 PM

Re: Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

We are also interested in TV. We are going to spend a few days at WDW in August but would like a day trip to tour TV. How are you going about it?

villages07 07-21-2007 07:29 PM

ouma....if you'll be here for up to a week, you'll get a good flavor. Just talk to people. Go to neighborhood (adult) pools and talk to residents...I found that a great source of information when I was considering buying and now return that by sharing experiences with others. Rent a golf cart for a day or several days to get the feel of navigating around via golf cart. It really is a wonderful place...not 100% perfect but pretty darn close. Negatives...can get a little busy in Jan-Mar with traffic, restaurants, golf; lightning storms; population is growing faster than we can get new doctors in here so takes a while to get an appt and most of them get off schedule pretty fast.

wharton...for a one day trip- take the trolley tour to get the once over; again, talk to people even just around the town squares. Lots of Midwesterners here (probably more of them than Northeasters) from Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana. -- you'll feel right at home. I'm sure there is an Indiana club.

To both of you...good luck.

Frangyomory 07-21-2007 08:28 PM

There is nothing that we could say on this board that could come close to describing how wonderful it is to live here. You will have to experience it. We live here full time and it will be two years on Augut 15th. Couldn't be happier and can't begin to tell you all the reasons. Best of luck.

islandgal 07-22-2007 03:36 AM

The Villages is fine if you are NOT a single female, do not play golf or own a golf cart and have to work part time. I find it very lonely and I have been here 1 1/2 years.
Guess I should have been a baton twirler in my earlier life!

bestmickey 07-22-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJW
The Villages is fine if you are NOT a single female, do not play golf or own a golf cart and have to work part time. I find it very lonely and I have been here 1 1/2 years.
Guess I should have been a baton twirler in my earlier life!

Uh-oh. Not yet a resident, but plan to be in late '08. I too am a single female and have wondered about this. (I don't share most of your other descriptives, however.)

I'm not really seeking "the man of my dreams" (in all honesty I think I prefer to have "the man" for the next 2 to 5 years and then move on).

Are you implying that you've not met any friends (male or female) to just "hang" with for just plain socializing (going to movies, for a drink or dinner)?

Do you attend the Market Square events, or put yourself "out there" in order to meet people to share fun times with? Or, are you more reserved and therefore less likely to easily meet people? I'm not asking in order to judge you. That's not my intent nor my way. I'm just curious so that I can figure out what I may be facing when I relocate to TV. I can be quite shy myself, but I also have my moments when I can be outgoing and will approach others in conversation in order to attempt making a friend. What attempts have you made to make friends?

Frangyomory 07-22-2007 06:32 AM

I am married but have many single female friends who are enjoying life here. There are several singles clubs here in the Villages and in the local churches. There is also a singles golf group. You have to get out there and meet your neighbors and do things that you enjoy. Positive attitude means everything. You can be alone in a crowd or having a blast, your own choice.

Many people think the Villages is just for married couples or partners but I disagree. Life is what you make of it. If you have to work part time, try to make some friends at work. If that fails, then get to know your neighbors. There are hundreds of clubs to join and you can join one or two that suite your interests. You will make plenty of friends that way.

DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF. Plan to enjoy life and you will!

Best of luck and hoping you give yourself a chance and come to the Villages for a great lifestyle!

walkingfool 07-22-2007 06:55 AM

Being single is simply not a problem. I've lived in the village over five years & my neighbor across the street & another down the street have both lost their husbands. They are busy all the time. I can never get them at home. I see them all over TV at the movies, at the square's. I try to get them to join our Barbershop singing group, but they say they are too busy. If you can't enjoy yourself at TV you won't enjoy yourself anywhere. We try not to advertise it as we have enough people there & anyone who comes usually stays. My husband & I thank the Lord every night that we found this little piece of heaven. :welcome:

ouma1938 07-22-2007 08:06 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the very positive comments. We are now even more pysched about coming down in August. We will be there about 5 days and plan on seeing as much as we can and getting out and about a lot. We are renting a golf cart so that we can get the full flavor of the fun and will take the trolley tour as one of our first things to do. I can't wait!

whartonjelly 07-22-2007 02:50 PM

adjusting to a newer lifestyle is scary. Being in the role of a authoratative Nurse for so long makes it difficult to find the true me to meet and enjoy people for who they are. It IS a form of shyness. People hide behind their roles all the time. Good luck to you . One and a half years should be good enough background to join in a lighter converasation. Now help me break my shell!

bestmickey 07-22-2007 03:47 PM

"DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF. Plan to enjoy life and you will!"

Well said Frangyomory! :agree: I sure found the residents to be very friendly during my recent 2 week visit. I hope and plan to make many acquaintances and some very good friends to help me fully enjoy the TV lifestyle. Like Oprah has said, it has to do with the laws of attraction (not meaning physical attractiveness).

snomore 07-22-2007 03:58 PM

I have owned here for thirteen years and have lived here full-time for eleven. It is STILL the most wonderful place in the world. I feel like I am still on a wonderful vacation. So much to see, so much to do and so many WONDERFUL friends and neighbors. I think the neighborhood you choose makes it for you, though. I am sure you will find it to be a wonderful place too.

whartonjelly 07-22-2007 10:31 PM

Thanks for identifying the years you have been in TV. It is god to hear that it still feels so good.

sunnysue 03-02-2008 05:01 PM

I was there last month for a day trip and took the trolley tour. Loved everything about it. Going back in May for the Lifestyle Preview.
villages07--glad to hear there are several midwesteners there..I'm a Hoosier & is there really an Indiana club? Thanks

The Great Fumar 03-02-2008 06:39 PM

sunnysue Hoosiers club is very active down here....Nieghbors are from Kokomo and they are gone all the time with club doings.....We are from Michigan and so they don't talk to us much..........However I stuck a picture of Bobby Knight in my window and now they acknolledge that we are here.

Go Blue fumar ;D ;D ;D

Boomer 03-02-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great fumar
sunnysue Hoosiers club is very active down here....Nieghbors are from Kokomo and they are gone all the time with club doings.....We are from Michigan and so they don't talk to us much..........However I stuck a picture of Bobby Knight in my window and now they acknolledge that we are here.

Go Blue fumar ;D ;D ;D

fumar,

Do you by any chance have any scoop on the Ohio clubs? I hear the Buckeyes have now split into two clubs. What was that about?

Boomer

JohnN 03-02-2008 07:43 PM

ouma,
In 2007, we stayed at a local hotel for 3 days/2 nights while doing other florida stuff and fell in love with TV. We did the trolley tour first, met a sales rep and saw a few homes, then we just tooled around the squares and neighborhood (and nearby community/streets) on our own. This year we're focusing here and spending a week on the lifestyle preview program.

Muncle 03-02-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
fume,

Do you by any chance have any scoop on the Ohio clubs? I hear the Buckeyes have now split into two clubs. What was that about?

Boomer

The clubs was simply too big, so they split, kinda like an amoeba. Those who are round on the end stayed in one club while those hi in the middle created a new organ.

Or it might have been a geographic thing -- down here, not in Ohio.

MikeH 03-02-2008 09:53 PM

We've lived in TV for almost three years. Lived on East Coast for 11 years before moving here. Difference? People seemed to move to the Coast to wait to die. Move here to LIVE! and LIVE! and LIVE some more!

Boomer 03-02-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncle
The clubs was simply too big, so they split, kinda like an amoeba. Those who are round on the end stayed in one club while those hi in the middle created a new organ.

Or it might have been a geographic thing -- down here, not in Ohio.

Thanks Muncle,

I figured it was probably a really big club. We Buckeyes can't stay off of I-75 S., trying to outrun those Michiganders.

So they split like an amoeba, huh. I sure hope they are not running around TV with their pseudopods hanging out of their golfcarts.

Boomer

judylou 03-03-2008 12:10 AM

The Ohio Buckeye Club is one of the best clubs here. They hold a monthly meeting with a great potluck and entertainment every month. They also have events such as boccie golf, mini golf, bowling, eating out as a group, etc. We have really enjoyed it. The president is a real go-getter and he has lots of plans for the future.

Villages Kahuna 03-03-2008 01:13 AM

To Sum It Up

You received a lot of good answers to your question about how much people like living here in The Villages. With a little searching, you can find all kinds of other information right here on TOTV. But maybe the best description of The Villages was that of my olderst son after he and his family visited here over the holidays. As we were enjoying Rocky & The Rollers at Lake Sumter town square, I asked my son if he saw why we liked The Villages so much. His answer was a classic...

[font=Verdana]Dad, what's not to like? The Villages is like going away to college but never having to go to class.

That about says it all, doesn't it?

chuckster 03-03-2008 01:16 AM

Good answer, have to agree, in fact a great answer..... :agree: :agree:

gfmucci 03-03-2008 02:30 AM

My wife and I traded a planned idyllic retirement spot in the mountains of North Carolina - a college town with lots of artsy stuff going on - for The Villages. We are so excited and glad about our change of plans.

jadebox 03-03-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
fumar,

Boomer

There is also a Tri-County Ohio State Alumni Club. Die Hard fans who are not Alumni are welcome and is open to all in the Tri-County. Most active during football season when we get together to watch the games. There is a picinec, tailgating at the polo grounds and more things planned.

chelsea24 03-06-2008 04:10 AM

I fell in love with The Villages on our first visit and so did my husband. I have to say I knew we'd love it, and now that we've been here for about 4 months, it has exceeded our expectations. The first month, yes, you feel lost and alone. You've just been transplanted. But, in just 4 short months, we've made so many friends, that I know will be friends for life and have joined clubs and activities. And is isn't just because we're a couple. My husband and I have very different tastes in activities and we both go off to different clubs and that just double's the friends we make. I've made many many girlfriends through all the activities TV has to offer. My husband's cousin was recently divorced and now she's coming down to see it because there is so much for a single person to do here. You'll be shocked.

samhass 03-06-2008 04:16 AM

You won't regret it.

ote author=gfmucci link=topic=1023.msg40121#msg40121 date=1204529458]
My wife and I traded a planned idyllic retirement spot in the mountains of North Carolina - a college town with lots of artsy stuff going on - for The Villages. We are so excited and glad about our change of plans.
[/quote]

Rokinronda 03-10-2008 05:42 AM

Over 3 years here, full time, and WE LOVE THIS PLACE!!! We've seen many others and there is nothing even close to this Paradise!! Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam.............................Dreams do come true!

jeffy 03-10-2008 01:17 PM

Is it as great as everyone says. HECK NOOOOOO. It is ten times better ;D
/
Jeffy

griff 03-10-2008 01:29 PM

A couple of years ago my buddy and his wife announced that they were buying a house in the Villages. I couldn't believe my ears!!! What could he (they) be thinking?? I told him "man don't move down there, that place is going to make you old". His response was "Griff, it's not what you think, I can't even explain it - you have to come and see this place - it's awesome".
Well, a year ago my mother-in-law passed away and our friends invited my wife to come down to the Villages for a week to relax. After her return home, all she talked about was the villages. Now we are talking about a woman who 1. would never move to Florida, 2. never live away from the ocean, and 3. would never, never live in a retirement community. I said to my wife "is it really that nice"? She says "it's all they say it is and MORE"!!
This past new years my wife and I came to the Villages to visit our friends. WOW!! I was blown away!! I apologized to my buddy about my opinion of the Villages and my wife and I recently sign papers to buy a Court Yard Villa. Now, I can't wait to come back and enjoy the good life.
Now, my friends here at home are asking "Griff what can you be thinking"?? My answer "You've gotta see this place, I can't even describe it"!

njgranny 03-10-2008 01:41 PM

Griff - When you describe your wife, you're describing exactly how I felt - UNTIL I saw the Villages. I think my kids are astounded that I'd want to move there. My husband has wanted to get to the warm weather for some time now, but I always said no. Now I can't wait until we sell our house and get to the Villages.

I don't think you can describe it accurately to anyone - they have to see it for themselves.

griff 03-10-2008 02:16 PM

njgranny,

We've always lived at the shore and I never thought that I would live anywhere else either. But heh, there are plenty of lakes around and the beach isn't that far away to plan a day trip. I'll have a harder time than my wife because of my roots where I live now. I also think I'll have a hard time moving away from the kids and grandkids, but for now I think we are going to do the snowbird thing. I really like the people that I've met at the Villages. Most seem very friendly and that means a lot to me. I'm a real people person and can't stand snotty, rude people. Bottom line... life is too short!!

Are you going to live at the Villages full time? I think we will eventually, our friends say they actually start to resent going back north for the summer months because they love the Villages so much.

nONIE 03-10-2008 02:41 PM

Life in the villages is unexplainable for sure. I, on many occassions have tried to tell people how wonderful it is and they just look at me with a pained expression on their face as if to say , Poor Nonie she has finally lost her mind. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating this is to me, so if anyone has just the right words to throw at these people who feel so sorry for me, PLEASE, bring em on!

If this is insanity, I dont ever want to be cured!!

njgranny 03-10-2008 04:06 PM

Griff,

We do plan to live there full-time. The only thing we won't be happy about is leaving the grandkids. However, as they get older, they're so into their own activities that we have to plan when we can see them now and they're only 9 and 10 and 12.

Also, hopefully, they'll visit.

burkem 04-03-2008 07:31 PM

My husband and I have been to the Villages about 8 times now. Visited our friends from NY (who moved there in Jan. 06.) in Sept. 06 and May of 07 - loved it and bought our own Courtyard Villa in July 07. Didn't really plan to buy right now, but the deals were really great. We have not regreted it!! We haven't retired yet, still live in PA, but try to get down there every 6 to 8 weeks, even if it is for a long weekend. We just love the place and the people. Have found everything to be so convenient and the people really friendly. Can't wait for the day that we will be there for good.

Sidney Lanier 04-09-2008 03:09 AM

'Unexplainable' is a good way to put it. We came on Labor Day last year to visit close friends who had just moved here, and by the following day we sat down and began looking around with a salesperson! It suddenly struck me that 'this IS the rainy day'--you know, that day we're always saving for that sadly too often never comes. We bought in October, closed at the end of November, spent two weeks here around the holidays, and are now finishing up two months and have to head north for two months before we can get back. (We are snowbirds.) But in two months we feel at home, we love the ease of the lifestyle, we've made wonderful friends that naturally will evolve into closer friendships in time, and we find clubs and activities conveniently available to us in a setting that, at the risk of sounding trite, is too beautiful for words! My parents had retired to south Florida some 35 years ago, and my thought was always 'great for them but not for me.' Well, 'now I are one'.... Without a doubt we've 'let the good times roll!'

gfmucci 04-09-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonie
Life in the villages is unexplainable for sure. I, on many occassions have tried to tell people how wonderful it is and they just look at me with a pained expression on their face as if to say , Poor Nonie she has finally lost her mind. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating this is to me, so if anyone has just the right words to throw at these people who feel so sorry for me, PLEASE, bring em on! If this is insanity, I dont ever want to be cured!!

My wife refers to TV as "an adult Disney World." I refer to it as the best, most successful active adult planned community in the nation.

njgranny 04-09-2008 04:25 PM

That was exactly my thought when I saw it - adult Disney World. It's hard to explain it adequately to someone who hasn't seen it.

Muncle 04-09-2008 04:37 PM

I had a friend visit last year. He'd seen the ads and the video. On the ride from the airport, I said, "You think you know all about TV. You think you're ready for it. Before you leave, you're going to say to me, "I don't believe this place!". "No," he replied. "I understand the place. I know what to expect. I know it's impressive." Three days later, we were having breakfast at the Veranda and he turned to me. "Ya, know, I just don't believe this place!"

chelsea24 04-10-2008 03:49 AM

I fall more in love with TV everyday. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: