Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/life-villages-great-everyione-seems-say-8861/)

ouma1938 07-21-2007 06:07 PM

Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

My husband and I are going to try and sell our house move to The Villages. We are coming down for a few days in August to look at the area. I have been reading these posts for a few weeks and everyone seems to just love it there. I never read anything about problems. Is it really that wonderful or am I just not seeing any problem posts. It just seems too good to be true. I hope it is. I'd love to get opinions, good or not so good.
Thanks

whartonjelly 07-21-2007 06:53 PM

Re: Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

We are also interested in TV. We are going to spend a few days at WDW in August but would like a day trip to tour TV. How are you going about it?

villages07 07-21-2007 07:29 PM

ouma....if you'll be here for up to a week, you'll get a good flavor. Just talk to people. Go to neighborhood (adult) pools and talk to residents...I found that a great source of information when I was considering buying and now return that by sharing experiences with others. Rent a golf cart for a day or several days to get the feel of navigating around via golf cart. It really is a wonderful place...not 100% perfect but pretty darn close. Negatives...can get a little busy in Jan-Mar with traffic, restaurants, golf; lightning storms; population is growing faster than we can get new doctors in here so takes a while to get an appt and most of them get off schedule pretty fast.

wharton...for a one day trip- take the trolley tour to get the once over; again, talk to people even just around the town squares. Lots of Midwesterners here (probably more of them than Northeasters) from Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana. -- you'll feel right at home. I'm sure there is an Indiana club.

To both of you...good luck.

Frangyomory 07-21-2007 08:28 PM

There is nothing that we could say on this board that could come close to describing how wonderful it is to live here. You will have to experience it. We live here full time and it will be two years on Augut 15th. Couldn't be happier and can't begin to tell you all the reasons. Best of luck.

islandgal 07-22-2007 03:36 AM

The Villages is fine if you are NOT a single female, do not play golf or own a golf cart and have to work part time. I find it very lonely and I have been here 1 1/2 years.
Guess I should have been a baton twirler in my earlier life!

bestmickey 07-22-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJW
The Villages is fine if you are NOT a single female, do not play golf or own a golf cart and have to work part time. I find it very lonely and I have been here 1 1/2 years.
Guess I should have been a baton twirler in my earlier life!

Uh-oh. Not yet a resident, but plan to be in late '08. I too am a single female and have wondered about this. (I don't share most of your other descriptives, however.)

I'm not really seeking "the man of my dreams" (in all honesty I think I prefer to have "the man" for the next 2 to 5 years and then move on).

Are you implying that you've not met any friends (male or female) to just "hang" with for just plain socializing (going to movies, for a drink or dinner)?

Do you attend the Market Square events, or put yourself "out there" in order to meet people to share fun times with? Or, are you more reserved and therefore less likely to easily meet people? I'm not asking in order to judge you. That's not my intent nor my way. I'm just curious so that I can figure out what I may be facing when I relocate to TV. I can be quite shy myself, but I also have my moments when I can be outgoing and will approach others in conversation in order to attempt making a friend. What attempts have you made to make friends?

Frangyomory 07-22-2007 06:32 AM

I am married but have many single female friends who are enjoying life here. There are several singles clubs here in the Villages and in the local churches. There is also a singles golf group. You have to get out there and meet your neighbors and do things that you enjoy. Positive attitude means everything. You can be alone in a crowd or having a blast, your own choice.

Many people think the Villages is just for married couples or partners but I disagree. Life is what you make of it. If you have to work part time, try to make some friends at work. If that fails, then get to know your neighbors. There are hundreds of clubs to join and you can join one or two that suite your interests. You will make plenty of friends that way.

DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF. Plan to enjoy life and you will!

Best of luck and hoping you give yourself a chance and come to the Villages for a great lifestyle!

walkingfool 07-22-2007 06:55 AM

Being single is simply not a problem. I've lived in the village over five years & my neighbor across the street & another down the street have both lost their husbands. They are busy all the time. I can never get them at home. I see them all over TV at the movies, at the square's. I try to get them to join our Barbershop singing group, but they say they are too busy. If you can't enjoy yourself at TV you won't enjoy yourself anywhere. We try not to advertise it as we have enough people there & anyone who comes usually stays. My husband & I thank the Lord every night that we found this little piece of heaven. :welcome:

ouma1938 07-22-2007 08:06 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the very positive comments. We are now even more pysched about coming down in August. We will be there about 5 days and plan on seeing as much as we can and getting out and about a lot. We are renting a golf cart so that we can get the full flavor of the fun and will take the trolley tour as one of our first things to do. I can't wait!

whartonjelly 07-22-2007 02:50 PM

adjusting to a newer lifestyle is scary. Being in the role of a authoratative Nurse for so long makes it difficult to find the true me to meet and enjoy people for who they are. It IS a form of shyness. People hide behind their roles all the time. Good luck to you . One and a half years should be good enough background to join in a lighter converasation. Now help me break my shell!

bestmickey 07-22-2007 03:47 PM

"DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF. Plan to enjoy life and you will!"

Well said Frangyomory! :agree: I sure found the residents to be very friendly during my recent 2 week visit. I hope and plan to make many acquaintances and some very good friends to help me fully enjoy the TV lifestyle. Like Oprah has said, it has to do with the laws of attraction (not meaning physical attractiveness).

snomore 07-22-2007 03:58 PM

I have owned here for thirteen years and have lived here full-time for eleven. It is STILL the most wonderful place in the world. I feel like I am still on a wonderful vacation. So much to see, so much to do and so many WONDERFUL friends and neighbors. I think the neighborhood you choose makes it for you, though. I am sure you will find it to be a wonderful place too.

whartonjelly 07-22-2007 10:31 PM

Thanks for identifying the years you have been in TV. It is god to hear that it still feels so good.

sunnysue 03-02-2008 05:01 PM

I was there last month for a day trip and took the trolley tour. Loved everything about it. Going back in May for the Lifestyle Preview.
villages07--glad to hear there are several midwesteners there..I'm a Hoosier & is there really an Indiana club? Thanks

The Great Fumar 03-02-2008 06:39 PM

sunnysue Hoosiers club is very active down here....Nieghbors are from Kokomo and they are gone all the time with club doings.....We are from Michigan and so they don't talk to us much..........However I stuck a picture of Bobby Knight in my window and now they acknolledge that we are here.

Go Blue fumar ;D ;D ;D