Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Need Golf Cart Advice - on Gas or Electric and Brand etc (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/need-golf-cart-advice-gas-electric-brand-etc-8919/)

dadspet 07-24-2007 10:16 PM

Need Golf Cart Advice - on Gas or Electric and Brand etc

Just bought a Ranch house in Caroline and will be needing a golf cart in December or Jan. As snow birds and only expect to be in the house 3 to 4 mts a yr. We just took up golf (executive courses - so far ) so we expect to use it for a far amount of golf as well as some general transportation. We have been told that electrics are a problem if we aren't there all year to maintain them since the batteries can't be kept on a charger. We have also been told that with the Villages expanding electrics will have a problem with the distance from one end to the other but we are about in the middle (Caroline). I've also heard ( from dealers ) that the only brands to buy are Club Car, EZGo or Yamaha and to stay away from the others. I would prefer electric due to less noise and no smell but the battery life and range seem like a real issue against them. I also would like an easy cover to close for those cool Winter nights. Also wonder about how good the remanufactured carts are I see advertised from most dealers. I would also like a faster one - the ones I rented haved been SLOOOOOW. Any advice on tires, I hear some wear out quickly and not sure if its the cart or the tires.

WOW thats a lots of questions ! Any first hand experience and advice ? Thanks !

Talk Host 07-25-2007 06:23 AM

Re: Need Golf Cart Advice - on Gas or Electric and Brand etc

We have an electric Columbia Par Car and love it. There is no reason to stay away from the brand. I do not know the effect on batteries if they are left unattended for a period of time. A friend of mine has a neighbor who is gone for six or more months and he leaves his cart unplugged and seems to get alone just fine.

As far as I am concerned, I drive my car to the far away golf courses and rent a cart or walk. (yes I walk the 18 hold courses). I know some can't do that. But it is easier to rent a cart than to spend 45 minutes driving my own cart. I do believe that I would have plenty of power to do so. I bought a gas Yamaha at first, but sold it due to what I considered noise and odor. The guy who bought it loves it. He is a friend of mine.

Regarding speed. The rental carts are slow. The cart you buy (unless souped up) should go about 18-20 miles per hour. Remember the speed limit for carts is 20. There is a strict law against altering, or increasing the speed of carts, yet many people do it. Speed is one thing. Stopping is another. The brake systems are not designed to stop the vehicle safely over 20 miles per hour.

villager99 07-25-2007 09:05 AM

if no one will be available to maintain electric golf cart batteries when you're away for long periods the terminals can be disconnected.
when i was a snowbirder i had a neighbor put water in my batrteries, charge them and drive it 15 minutes a week. with new batteries you should be able to drive 40 to 60 miles on a charge. enough for most village needs.
my golf cart is my only means of transportation in the villages. as i can't drive a car due to a disability.

bargee 07-25-2007 09:21 AM

We have lived in the Villages going on eight years(8 months here ,4 months in Ct.) Our cart is a remanufactured Club Car(Masters on 441) We are on our second set of batteries and have had no problem with storage or traveling distance.We golf three or four times a week(executive)and do a fair amount of cruising.Quiet and no noise or fumes.Works for me. Good Luck.

jtdraig 07-26-2007 02:18 PM

We had that decision and several people recommended gas v. electric. So, we bought a Yamaha gas cart two years ago. It holds around 6 gallons of regular gas and we get around 50mpg. We do executive courses 2 to 3 times a week and a championship at least once more like twice this time of year. It's been maintenance free. I estimate that we refuel about every 4 weeks.