Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   E-Z Go Golf Carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/e-z-go-golf-carts-8976/)

SteveZ 07-28-2007 01:25 PM

E-Z Go Golf Carts

New to TV, and now it's time to start thinking about which golf cart to get.

Have test-driven them all and am leaning towards the EZ-Go. Does anyone have after-the-sale experience with the local E-Z Go dealer (Spanish Springs)? Do you feel more strongly towrds any of the other dealers (Yamaha, Club Car, Par Car).

Thanks!

schotzyb 07-28-2007 02:55 PM

Re: E-Z Go Golf Carts

We purchased two EZ-GO golf carts (one new and one used) from Town and Country in Spanish Springs. Great people and service. No complaints.

villager99 07-28-2007 03:07 PM

one difference between golf cart brands is leg room and height of floor. so if you're taller or shorter than average you'll want to try out different makes.
most use the same batteries so speed and distance per charge are fairly uniform. and you'll find a wide array of service folks in and nearby the villages.

Villages Kahuna 07-28-2007 03:23 PM

Town & Country E-Z-Go Are Wonderful!

I have owned an E-Z-Go at our home in Michigan for a number of years. When we moved to TV, I re-opened the selection process with the exception that I wanted an electric rather than a noisy, smelly gas model. (I've owned both and will never go back to gas.) After some research, I actually was going to buy a new cart called an Aero. Great engineering, but by the time I got to TV, they had already gone out of business!

I compared the major brands with the following observations...
  • If I was going to buy gas, Yamaha or Club Car might have been favored because they seem to be mainly gas car companies.
  • Going with electric, I narrowed my choices to E-Z-Go or Par Car. E-Z-Go seemed to have a bit more leg room than the Par Car. And my research indicated that Par Car's "60 mile range" claim compared to "only 40 miles for the rest" was unfounded. Same with the 36-volt versus 48 volt argument. What's better, 6-36 volt batteries or 8 smaller 48 volters? Hard to determine, but I know the 8-pack set up is heavier and takes up more space (and leg room?)
  • I liked the location of Town & Country E-Z-Go better than the "off campus" location of Par Car. I definitely was opposed to the long distance to the E-Z-Go factory store way north on 27/441, as well as their cool and disinterested attitude.

So it was E-Z-Go for me. After I owned the cart for awhile, I became even more impressed with the superb after sale service by the guys at Town & Country. It's a simple matter to pull up behind their store near Spanish Springs and have them run out to install a plate, make an adjustment, check and fill the tires, or even clean the cart. Yes, clean the cart! They use high pressure air to clean the upholstery and even wipe off the dust from the body. All with a smile and with no charge! This is service as it should be.

I can't be more complimentary of both E-Z-Go and particularly Town & Country.

SteveZ 07-31-2007 02:12 PM

Thanks to all. Was impressed with the T&C folk at Spanish Springs, and odds are they will get my business.

sgvegas 08-01-2007 01:10 PM

I bought my Easy Go from the factory owned store on 441 a little North of cr42. Great service and they gave me a great price.

captain1202 08-03-2007 08:33 PM

How do you all feel about the issue of "electrical dysfuntction" at inopportune moments. i.e. running out of juice. Never a problem with gas. As the villages grows in scope do you see this as an issue?

Villages Kahuna 08-03-2007 10:34 PM

Consider This...

All the electric carts except Par Car claim 40 miles on a charge. Par Car claims 60.

So let's consider what that means.

Carts are "legal" only if their max speed is 19.9 miles per hour...let's call it 20 mph.

With all the starting, stopping and turning while driving a golf cart in TV, chances are you'll average only about 10 mph.

So if an electric cart has a range of 40 miles, and you average 10 mph, that means you have a "time range" of four hours between charges. Assuming you plug it in every night, that means 4 hours per day driving around in an electric cart. Figure it any way you want, but can you imagine your butt riding around in a golf cart, averaging 10 mph, for 4 hours a day? I sure can't.

So if you're not going to spend 4 hours a day tooling around in your golf cart, the electric versus gas argument is specious. You could make it the round trip between the Publix on 466A and the Publix at Spanish Springs more than 4 times before your electric cart would crap out. Are you ever going to do that? If not, an electric cart will be fine in TV, regardless of how big it gets.

villager99 08-04-2007 08:52 AM

does anyone know how far it will be say from silver lake country club to the future third town square?

Reggie 08-04-2007 09:03 AM

We to have been trying to decide on gas or electric. Finally decided to go with gas. Our house in Amelia village is close to 13 miles to the some of the golf courses in the north end. We figured with the distance to them plus playing a round of golf would be pushing the limits of an electric arts range

Reggie

784caroline 08-04-2007 02:12 PM

Kahuna
your points are quite valid for a new set of batteries but how do you factor in the normal loss of battery life over a period of time. Most people procrastinate in making a $600 purchase of new batteries so I would Imagine in trhe 3rd or 4th year power and range of an electric cart would diminish dramatically.

RayB 08-04-2007 06:28 PM

Most recommendations I have read indicate batteries should be replaced in three years. In fact I understand the cost of operating a gas vs electric cart is usually based on the cost of buying a new set of batteries every three years. On that basis the cost of operating a gas vs electric is just about the same. However, during that three year life of the batteries I will have had very little maintenance or fuel cost on my electric cart. All I have to do is remember to charge the batteries over night, check and fill the water lever on the batties once every two weeks, and check air pressure on tires. I don't have to check and change the oil and oil filter, go to the gas station to get fuel before it runs out, don't need to store gasoline in my garage, inhale exhaust fumes. tune the engine, listin to the noise, worry if the engine is going to start while at a stop sign, etc. etc. Also, when I run the cart it is so quiet I can enjoy the quiet environment of the villages and list to the birds, etc The only time the silence is broken is when a gas cart tailgates me or passes at a speed over 20 MPH. I live just off 466A and on the same day I have traveled to Spanish Springs and back, did nine holes of golf and traveled to and from the Walmart on 466. Never once yet have I had the light go on in my Club Car which indicates I only have a half hour of run time (10 miles) left on my batteries. If the light ever does go on I know that I can always get back home from just about any place in the Villages in that half hour of run time. It may be different as my batteries get over three years old. But if it does cause a problem I will buy new batteries and my operating cost will still be the same as a gas cart. If the batteries last more than three years then my operating cost on the electric will be less than the gas.

dadspet 08-05-2007 11:02 PM

Can any Snowbirds comment on what life they get out of their batteries when they have to leave their cart for 8 or 9 months at time. I've been told they batteries won't last if you do that?

Talk Host 08-06-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayB
Most recommendations I have read indicate batteries should be replaced in three years. In fact I understand the cost of operating a gas vs electric cart is usually based on the cost of buying a new set of batteries every three years.

I am now in my 4th full year on my golf cart batteries. I just had them tested and they are fine. The guy said that I have another couple of years "at least" They hold a full charge and never seem to fade on long trips. I had 1 bad cell in 1 battery a couple of months ago and it was replaced. I am back to fine now.

poromo 08-06-2007 08:42 AM

Is it true that batteries in an electric golf carts need to replaced every 5 years or so at a cost of about $600?