Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   TV Water hardness (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tv-water-hardness-8986/)

KenMac 07-29-2007 03:57 PM

TV Water hardness

We will be closing Aug 10th, and are trying to get things lined up... utilities, lawn care, cable, phone, etc.

- and a Water Softener System - but only if required.

Has anyone had their water tested for mineral content: iron, Calcium, Magnesium, etc.?

I would appreciate any advice given - and if a water softener is recommended, what recommendations you would have for brand or type
after conducting your research, or based upon your experience with your system: Salt-based, reverse osmosis, nano-tech., etc.

HELP!! (AND Thank You!)

Ken

F16 1UB 07-29-2007 09:03 PM

Re: TV Water hardness

Hey Ken Mac,

I asked about the same thing on July 23rd. Go up to the top of the page and click on Search. Then type in WATER SOFTENER. 2 Friends that live in Sable Chase both suggested the softeners. Currently have it in our northern home and will probably get one in TV. One friend had a Kinetico installed and said it was $2100. On the other hand I had a Sears for less than half that price. Not sure of the hardness in TV but I'm sure someone will enlighten us.

Steve
:)

zcaveman 07-30-2007 11:19 AM

Doubt if I can enlighten you but I had a water softener in NJ for about 20 years and like the feel of the water when taking a shower and the reduced expense in soap products. When I first got here we did not have one and I did not like the feel of the water when showering (rough instead of silky smooth) so I went out and purchased a water softener that uses Potassium Cloride instead of softener salt. That was supposed to reduce my salt intake but I have my doubts. The bad of PC is still the same as the bag of salt pellets.

I am happy with it. I can't give you the seller since he quit the area.

Bill

SeaCruiser 07-31-2007 10:02 PM

Before you invest in water conditioning equipment, I suggest you try a Brita Filter on your kitchen sink. I am VERY picky about my morning coffee and this filter works like a charm! We used to have a water softener in our home up North and I hate the thought of hauling bags of salt not to mention the expense and breakdown of that equipment. The filters are available at Target and easily install on your faucet. You can always give it a try for awhile and change your mind later!

Good Luck with your relocation!

KenMac 07-31-2007 10:28 PM

Thanks to all who replied - I am taking all of your suggestions into consideration. Will let you know what we do.

Ken

golfnut 08-01-2007 06:48 AM

I don't think the water is hard in TV. Like seacruiser we use a brita filter, however we use the one that is also a pitcher which we keep in the fridge that way we always have a supply of cold water for drinking.