Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Statue of Liberty on Southern Trace (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/statue-liberty-southern-trace-8994/)

Talk Host 07-30-2007 06:18 AM

Statue of Liberty on Southern Trace

There has been lots of discussion here about yard decorations in various areas of the Villages. We all know the deed restrictions vary from village to village. Yesterday, I was was on a bike ride and I saw what appears to be a huge lighted statue of liberty, American Flag and something else in a yard on Southern Trace. Not exactly a statue or topiary but like one of those Christmas decorations of reindeer that move around, only lots bigger.

I am curious what is up with that. Are the deed restrictions relaxed for those kinds of things? What do the neighbors think? Kinda like that big civil war cannon in the yard over on Augustine. ;D

I want to get a big lighted statue of Paris Hilton for my front yard. My neighbor next door wants a Hillary Clinton statue for his yard. Kinda nice, Huh.

BUC 07-30-2007 06:26 AM

Re: Statue of Liberty on Southern Trace

I guess your neighbor has a problems with crows, why else would anyone want a statue of Hillary Clinton except to be used as a scarecrow.

Avista 07-30-2007 07:06 AM

You should probably be on the political forum. I, for one, like Hilary!

MMC24 07-30-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUC
I guess your neighbor has a problems with crows, why else would anyone want a statue of Hillary Clinton except to be used as a scarecrow.

A scarecrow of Hillary on any front lawn would scare away more than crows!!

Avista 07-30-2007 07:15 AM

I try not to say anything mean about any of the presidential candidates. Guess I'm more of an "issues" person.

JohnZ 07-30-2007 08:02 AM

Oh, oh. Here we go again.

Talk Host 07-30-2007 08:48 AM

I was hoping that somebody would answer my original question

villages07 07-30-2007 09:10 AM

All I know is that the deed restrictions South of 466 are much stricter than North of 466. Very little can be put in the front yard. For example, you can put a fountain in your landscaping only if it has a motorized pump....no birdbaths; have heard of people with very simple (and sometimes tacky) lawn ornaments being told to remove them. Village Watch notes any violations and turns them over to Deed Compliance staff for followup and enforcement. For me, it works well to keep some uniformity. It does take away from individuality but awful hard to find that line between individual expression and too far.

So, for those who live North of 466, what are your deed restrictions for front yard signs, ornaments, etc.?

zcaveman 07-30-2007 09:19 AM

I live in Marion County and ours were one of the first with the no yard ornament rule. I was gigged two or three times by the Deeds Restriction personnel. I now have nothing but I do see some yard ornaments springing up here and there. Nothing enormous like the Statue of Liberty described at the beginning of this thread.

I think any village developed after mid 2001 has the same 'no yard ornaments" clause.

Bill

bimmertl 07-30-2007 09:25 AM

The original post makes complete sense. The deed restrictions can't be relaxed for patriotic reasons, religious reasons etc. One persons statue of liberty is the next persons KKK display. They need to be strictly enforced and apply to all properties that are governed by the deed restrictions. Property owners agreed to the restrictions at the time of purchase of their property.

Recently, in a non deed restricted mobile home park in New Port Richey, Florida, one owner put a fence around his property and mounted several Nazi flags on the property. You could not do this is a deed restricted community, if the restrictions were enforced. (Google New Port Richey Nazis and you can see some photos of the result)

The deed restrictions must be enforced consistently with no exceptions.

kar guy 07-30-2007 10:03 AM

I AM IN TOTAL FAVOR OF THE RESTRICTIONS. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE'S TREASURE DISPLAYED THAT I WOULD NOT PAY A NICKLE FOR. AS LONG AS IT IS THE SAME FOR ALL, THEN IT IS GOOD FOR ALL. THANKS, ... THE KAR GUY.

BUC 07-30-2007 10:14 AM

the same for all is good for all. Did the come from a Karl Marc's book? ;D

chacam 07-30-2007 02:38 PM

In Summerhill, seasonal displays are permitted for periods not exceeding 30 days. Perhaps the decoratons in the orignal post might be for July 4 and it hasn't been past 30 days yet. Don't know about Polo Ridge.

handieman 07-30-2007 03:40 PM

:agree: God Bless deed restrictions! :cop: If you must display your individualism, do it with landscaping, no one wants to fool with mother nature. AND Buc?? You made me chuckle with your comment about Hillary (enuff said) :bigthumbsup: