Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Need advice on alarm companies. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/need-advice-alarm-companies-9051/)

Talk Host 08-02-2007 09:11 AM

Need advice on alarm companies.

We currently have ADT alarm company as our service provider. Service????? :o Their service, in my opinion stinks. We have an ongoing problem with the system and their technicians cannot come for 7 days (That's SEVEN). Then the waiting window on the scheduled day is 5 hours. (That's FIVE hours). They have been here trying to fix the problem, but it continues. They charge $25 each time they come despite the fact that we have a service warranty. Quite the operation HUH?

Do any of you have any other suggestions for alarm companies? Will the ADT system work with other service providers?

nanci2539 08-02-2007 11:17 AM

Re: Need advice on alarm companies.

Talk Host - how necessary is a home security system? Isn't TV a gated community?

Talk Host 08-02-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanci2539
Talk Host - how necessary is a home security system? Isn't TV a gated community?

NO, the Villages is not a gated community. There are gates, but the streets are public. Anybody can come in at any time. They simply drive up to the guard shack and smile. The guard smiles back and opens the gate. As you can imagine, this is a topic of great discussion here in The Villages.

nanci2539 08-06-2007 08:28 AM

Oh, didn't know that. What are the crime statistics in TV?

Talk Host 08-06-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanci2539
Oh, didn't know that. What are the crime statistics in TV?

Crime statistics? No statistics that I know of. There are burglaries. I have heard of at least 30 or 40. There was one homicide, that I know of. There are lots of traffic accidents. The Villages newspaper on occasion will print a story about crimes in the Villages, but as you might guess, being owned by the developer, they don't give it much play. There is no local news at all on the Villages radio station, nor is there a talk show of any kind. Talk of The Villages is the only uncensored media for news and comment.

jtdraig 08-06-2007 03:33 PM

We just had a presentation on an alarm system that is VERY interesting. It uses technology to provide a barrier which if crossed sounds an alarm that will wake the dead. You turn it on with your phone and if there is a problem the system sends a message to either you or your designee. One drawback is that there is no central monitoring but the system is portable and if sensibly set up will provide excellent protection against burglars. We are seriously considering purchasing it.

jjdees 08-06-2007 03:45 PM

Just wanted to point out the homicide I think Jan was referring to wasn't a random incident, a homeowners daughter invited the perps to the house.

Talk Host 08-06-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjdees
Just wanted to point out the homicide I think Jan was referring to wasn't a random incident, a homeowners daughter invited the perps to the house.

You are correct. I mentioned it because I want people to understand that this is not the womb. It is a real place, with real people and real incidents.

bamafan 08-06-2007 08:34 PM

jt, Do you have the name of the alarm that you mentioned, and the cost. Info Info Thanks

jtdraig 09-03-2007 01:43 PM

My apologies..somehow I overlooked your post! The security system is from Metro Crime Prevention of Florida and uses an interesting technology. You can contact them at 1-800-771-7477. Their local rep is a guy named Joe Pine.

aford 10-08-2007 12:48 AM

We have ADT in our home. There was a bit of confusion in the beginning because we used the internet to order. However it was the wrong system. Now we got the right one. If our phone lines are cut an alarm will go to central control and the police will be notified. We also have panic buttons for ambulance and fire and also has back up battery in case we lose power.

We are very pleased with this product and we get a discount on our home insurance and if our home is every robbed ADT will pay our deductible up to $500

Is there crime in the villages? Break ins and or walk ins while people are at home. They snatch jewelry, handbags and whatever they can carry out. Some purse snatching around the holidays in shopping centers. Haven't heard of any armed robberies but I cannot be sure if there were none.

The question is will there be more coming? I believe so. Thats why the Alarm system.
I have been here over 8 yrs. The Villages advertises how rich its residents are. We look like we are living the life of the "Rich and the Famous" We are very attractive targets.

With this new vote coming up in Jan. on amending the amendment you have to be careful. I am told the counties are currently rolling back millage, how much revenue can they afford to lose? The police departments in Lake, Sumter and I am not sure about Marion are on a hiring freeze. If it goes through as it was previously written their budgets will be short, they will be understaffed. There will be not enough police officers.
Just their presence deters crime.

I understand that a judge sent the bill back to be rewritten because it was written in such a way as to be confusing.

Me, I do not want to lose my 3% cap on property taxes a yr. As it was written I would have voted NO. A lot of times they put one thing in a bill that makes sense and they put in something else no one wants. That bill was trying to be everything to everbody.

I would much rather have a well staffed police dept than having to defend myself. I'm a darn good shot. Only if I can remember where the safety is. Hmmmm. But really I am getting a little too old for that kind of excitement.

Skip 11-22-2007 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aford
We have ADT in our home. If our phone lines are cut an alarm will go to central control and the police will be notified.

Want to run that by me again? If the phone lines are cut, how does it notify Central Control?

I've heard many problems with central monitoring companies - like calling the wrong police or fire companies in the wrong towns; giving the wrong address; etc.

Best alarm is 1) a loud siren that will alert the neighbors who will call 911 for you - or 2) a mean pitbull!

Skip

Security Guy 06-17-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanci2539 (Post 79601)

Just because ait is gated doesn't mean that it is safe.

Security Guy 06-17-2010 02:11 PM

Don't do it!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtdraig (Post 83787)
My apologies..somehow I overlooked your post! The security system is from Metro Crime Prevention of Florida and uses an interesting technology. You can contact them at 1-800-771-7477. Their local rep is a guy named Joe Pine.

Don't do it, What good is an alarm system that calls your cell phone. Picture this: You set your alarm and go to bed, at 2am a crackhead breaks into your house to steal your stuff, money and possably even your life. All this time your "alarm system" is calling your cell phone (which you can't answer anyway) to tell you there is a crackhead in your house. Come on, $1.00 a day will SAVE YOUR LIFE if there was an issue.

Walt. 07-16-2010 11:58 PM

Challenger Security System

Quote:

Originally Posted by Security Guy (Post 270469)
Don't do it, What good is an alarm system that calls your cell phone. Picture this: You set your alarm and go to bed, at 2am a crackhead breaks into your house to steal your stuff, money and possably even your life. All this time your "alarm system" is calling your cell phone (which you can't answer anyway) to tell you there is a crackhead in your house. Come on, $1.00 a day will SAVE YOUR LIFE if there was an issue.

Apparently you missed the part where he mentioned the alarm that goes off that "would wake the dead." It will do this in addition to calling your cell phone if you happen to be out when the break-in occurs.

The system is the Challenger Security System sold by Suncoast Security. We're thinking about getting a home security system and got "the talk" from these folks today. It seems rather straightforward and looks like something that would deter burglers, home invaders or whatever. The alarm sound IS blood curdling.

Does anyone have this? If so, are there any problems with false alarms or anything? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.