Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   SummerGlen vs. The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/summerglen-vs-villages-9074/)

poromo 08-03-2007 09:59 AM

SummerGlen vs. The Villages

I will be retiring within a couple of years and am looking at several 55+ communities in central Florida. SummerGlen is a 55+ community about 20 minutes from TV. They are now selling a new 2600 sq ft on the golf course for about $275,000. Its their Jacaranda model. A 2600 sq ft home on the golf course in TV costs at least $550,000.

Is living in TV worth the premium price TV is charging for their homes?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

bamafan 08-03-2007 10:16 AM

Re: SummerGlen vs. The Villages

We visited a lot of 55+ comm in our quest. We always came back to the villages. We narrowed our choices to 3, The Villages, On top of the World, and Del Webb Stone Creek. Summerglenn was in the top three for a while. We visited Summerglenn two times. Played golf on their dollar both times The first we had a great time. The second time, things seemed to be going downhill. This made us take a closer look, because like you we liked their homes for the size and the price, however we read in one of their news magazines that they wanted residents to start helping with the cleaning of the pool. >:( >:( Not something I want to do. You have to ask yourself can I go to the town square at night and enjoy entertainment for free, at Summerglenn, NO Can I go to the doctor in my golf cart at Summerglenn NO. At the villages YES ;D You may pay a little more at TV but what does a second car and insurance cost. Take a look at all, stay at the villages a couple of times and the choice is clear. That is why we bought at the villages. I will be there in Jan 2008

kar guy 08-03-2007 10:27 AM

MY WIFE AND I HAVE SPENT OVER 1 YEAR AND A LOT OF RESEARCH TO FIND THE "RIGHT PLACE" TO RETIRE. WE ALWAYS ENDED BACK AT TV. THE MAIN REASON WAS THE 'LIFESTYLE'. NO WHERE ELSE CAN WE FIND WHAT WE CAN GET IN TV. WE WILL BE PERMANENT RESIDENTS IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AND CAN HARDLY WAIT. AGAIN, THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE TO GO FOR US. IS THE PRICES HIGHER? MAY BE A BIT BUT YOU MAKE UP FOR IT IN THE THINGS THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO DO. YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET. TAKE CARE, THE KAR GUY

dadspet 08-03-2007 11:12 AM

Your buying into a lifestyle in TV that is hard to beat. We looked at several other Over 55 communities that claimed to have everything but when we rode around and looked for real activity it was hard to find. After 4 yrs of thinking about it we finally bought this year (Wish we did it 4 yrs ago) . It wasn't because of the great price on the house we bought (but it wasn't at all bad - especially compared to many areas of Fl) - it was because of the "The Villages" and the life style. The Villages is so clean, beautiful, well planned and thought out in almost every aspect its hard to explain to someone. A real plus is that its very reasonable to live here with the free golf, tennis, happy hours each night in the Squares and entertainment, Katty Bells, nice and reasonable resteraunts etc. The size of the Villages might scare some, but again the ability to share in any of the activities within any village was a plus for us and its so well planned its size is not at all a issue, we think its a plus. The activity fee isn't bad for what you get. I think you need to like an active lifestyle, but you may not have one were you currently live and find getting to have fun is easy to do at the Villages. It doesn't matter if you have a $100 manufactured home or a multi million dollar home you have access to all the same beautiful, well kept facilities. The original areas of the Villages are as well kept as the new location. As it grows almost every kind of store is around it now and you can access most by Golf cart. . We describe it as a Adult Disney land to our friends!

jtdraig 08-03-2007 12:47 PM

These are all excellent answers. It all boils down to quality of life...and you cannot beat The Villages.
We narrowed it down to a place called the Landings near Savannah, Venice, FL, and The Villages. Although TL and Venice offered coastal living, neither had the overall amenities of TV. Potential insurance costs were another consideration. I believe the coasts haven't even seen "insurance hell" yet and the odds are much better here. Many other places have expensive Golf Course/Clubhouse that require multiple tens of thousands in initial fees and thousands more during the year. The Villages offers a wide variety of Championship Courses at very inexpensive fees and over 25 Executive Courses. Add the >600 activities & clubs available, the Town Squares, etc and this place is a price performer. Of course, at the end of the day, you must do your own due diligence and consider what you can afford...but this place is hard to beat!

BUC 08-03-2007 01:17 PM

TV would be perfect if you was allowed to build a fence in your back yard. So, my only chose is to buy a villa or get rid of my dog (that's not going to happen). my wife and I have been dreaming about and talking about the Villages for many years just counting the days until we retire and make our move to the TV now that our turn is approaching so rapidly we discovered that we will be forced to buy a place that may not be what we wanted, and that our bass boat can't be in my carport, and I can't have a small fence in my backyard. Nobody wants dogs running loose, it's apparent to me that fences would help elemate that problem as well as dog dropping in public. We haven't decided and are looking at other retirement locations. I know that this doesn't mean anything to other people but I think it's a shame .

LG 08-03-2007 01:35 PM

Summer Glen is out a ways... not very convenient.. still lost of construction going on..

darbyduff 08-03-2007 01:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

A couple of years ago in the Village's Daily Sun, they did an article about this lady from California. She was a retired school teacher who decided to spend 1 year going around the country looking at every 55+ community in order to determine which one was for her. She had a very strict criteria as to what she wanted. Safety, Amenities, Weather, Social, closest grocery stores etc The list was quite long. She started in California and went up and down the west coast listing every community she visited and all the information she had gathered into a diary. By the time she got to the Midwest she had visited hundreds of community's and was ready to quit! By then she knew that, more than likely, she would move to Sun City in Arizona since it offered the most on her "must have" list. But she had promised herself before she began this odyssey that she wouldn't quit until she reached the East Coast. (Of course you know where this story is going to end up..........) If I'm remembering this correctly, she wrote a book or article about her travels. If any of you remember that story OR if she is reading this now...Write in.

Of course she is now a Villager!! True story!

Happy Villager 08-03-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUC
TV would be perfect if you was allowed to build a fence in your back yard. So, my only chose is to buy a villa or get rid of my dog (that's not going to happen). my wife and I have been dreaming about and talking about the Villages for many years just counting the days until we retire and make our move to the TV now that our turn is approaching so rapidly we discovered that we will be forced to buy a place that may not be what we wanted, and that our bass boat can't be in my carport, and I can't have a small fence in my backyard. Nobody wants dogs running loose, it's apparent to me that fences would help elemate that problem as well as dog dropping in public. We haven't decided and are looking at other retirement locations. I know that this doesn't mean anything to other people but I think it's a shame .

Buc please don't feel you have to have a villa or get rid of your dog! We live in an Amarillo ranch and we just adopted a dog from the Sumter Humane Society. TV is a great place to live and your dog will love it too. Lots and lots of people own dogs and don't all live in a villa. The villa is great if that is what you like but personally I feel claustrophobic being walled in and also I prefer to see more activity and see my neighbors. I take my dog outside on the leash to do his business on our property. I also walk her near the rec center or near where the mail boxes are located. I always pick up after her immediately! Dogs are one of God's creations and I cannot understand how someone can dislike an innocent animal. I live on a corner lot and it seems to be the perfect area for dogs to want to do their business. I think people should first try to get their pet to do their business on their own lawn and then walk but if they pick up the droppings I don't say anything. If I see them and they don't pick it up I will offer them a disposal bag for their use! As for the bass boat I know they have an area that you can keep the boat but it will be an added monthly expense. Also keep in mind there are currently around 60,000 residents in TV and how many have you actually heard from on this site so far. Keep TV at the top of your retirement places to visit before you decide for or against living here.

BUC 08-03-2007 09:45 PM

thank you

Frangyomory 08-03-2007 10:15 PM

BUC easily 50% of those living in the Villages have dogs. Most people here love animals. We purchased a courtyard villa because we wanted the privacy, there was plenty of room for us, and we have a medium sized dog who was used to a yard and getting around freely.

Many people who have pets live in ranch homes, designer homes and premier homes without fences. If you are a responsible dog owner and use a leash as required; pick up after your dog, etc. you will have no problems here.

My husband and I searched for 7 years before moving here and believe me when I say THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE THIS PLACE ANY OTHER PLACE. You may get a better price on a house but you won't find the lifestyle here anywhere else. We fell in love wth the place at first sight. Wouldn't live anywhere else for any amount of money!!!

If a person wants to be busy 24/7 they can do it. If they want to chill and just play golf and swim, they can do it. You can do as much or as little as you want and you will find friendly people all around the Villages.

Yes, there are some things that get my goat some days but they have nothing to do with the lifestyle here. I feel ten years younger since we retired.

There are no OLD people here. We still have birthdays but we CELEBRATE and don't let the calendar drag us down. Life here is wonderful.

Indy-Guy 08-04-2007 09:49 AM

When we were looking 2 years ago we found a home at Del Webb spruce creek and really liked the price and floor plan. But decided that we wanted to be in The Villages and purchased here. I have ran into several people who live at Del Webb and have found out that what we purchased 2 years ago in The Villages has appreciated in value a lot more than what we were looking at in Del Webb.

We have a neighbor that purchased in Del Webb and then asked people at the rec center where they went for dining and entertainment they all said they drive 8 miles south to TV. He and his wife came down and looked at TV and stopped payment on the check. We chuckle when we are in our golf cart and we see a car with a license plate on the front that says one of the neighboring neighborhoods. We went to Harbor Hills once and went to this beautiful club house and it was 5:15 PM no one was there. I asked the security guard where the bar was and he said it was closed. I asked him when does it close he said at 5:00. I said so where do people go for fun. You know the answer. THe question is do you want to be where the action is?

jagm408 09-26-2007 03:29 PM

Regarding the dog and the yard, if you are concerned about the dog getting out of your yard and you want an open yard, have you concidered an invisible pet fence?

Soon to be moving there, with a dog!

SteveFromNY 09-26-2007 03:52 PM

A wise man once told me there are 3 things to consider when purchasing real estate: location, location, location.

I saw a brick ranch on 10 acres in Missouri for sale for $100,000. I recently sold a 600 sq ft condo in Staten Island NY for $215,000.

I understood when purchasing at TV that I was paying a premium, but it was worth it for the location. The other places just aren't the same.