Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Insurance for Golf Cart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/insurance-golf-cart-9082/)

Mo779 08-03-2007 06:54 PM

Insurance for Golf Cart

I'm having great difficulty finding a Company who will insure my golf cart. My prior insurance company wouldn't cover it under my Homeowners Policy, and the new one says the same. I'm a part-time Villager and rent my home out during Season. That's what seems to be the problem. Can anyone please provide information on an insurance company that will issue coverage for the golf cart? Thanks

schotzyb 08-03-2007 07:09 PM

Re: Insurance for Golf Cart

We have two golf carts both insured by Allstate located in Lady Lake. We also rent our home out and the only stipulation I know of is the "renters" have to sign some type "no fault" form. Not exactly what all is included.

Happy Villager 08-03-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo779
I'm having great difficulty finding a Company who will insure my golf cart. My prior insurance company wouldn't cover it under my Homeowners Policy, and the new one says the same. I'm a part-time Villager and rent my home out during Season. That's what seems to be the problem. Can anyone please provide information on an insurance company that will issue coverage for the golf cart? Thanks

We have our golf carts insured thru Allstate and currently cost $44.00 per year for one cart. We also have our auto insured thru Allstate too.
The agency we obtained it thru is McDonald & Co Ins. located in Summerfield which is just outside TV on 441/27. Their phone #352-347-9201.

784caroline 08-04-2007 02:17 PM

Question: Does USAA insure golf carts for full time residents ....or for snow birds! If so at what cost?

DickY 08-04-2007 04:19 PM

This is from the USAA Web site.

Auto Insurance
What types of vehicles can I insure?
Passenger vehicles

USAA insures cars, vans and most pickups.

In addition, the following may be insured if they meet certain requirements:

* Motor homes
* Motorcycles/motorbikes
* Motor scooters/mopeds
* Golf carts
* Electric vehicles

Give them a call on their 800-531-8111 number. I'd like to know their answer so that when I move to TV next year if I can add it to my auo policy.

villages07 08-04-2007 04:49 PM

I am a full timer, so, my answer may not apply to part timers. I am insured with Travelers (via Villages Insurance). My golf cart rider/endorsement, inside my homeowners policy, is approximately $50/year. Covers theft, liability, collision. When I was insurance shopping recently and got a quote from AAA (which underwrites ASI, another major insurer here), the agent quoted about $85/year but as a separate policy from homeowners. Her rationale is if you had a claim for golf cart problem it would count against your homeowners history if the two are bundled.

RayB 08-04-2007 05:56 PM

That is a good point. I would never put in a claim on my homeowners insurance unless it was in the thousands of dollars. This is particularly important in Florida where the insurance companies can drop you with very little cause. They are doing this because of the high cost of hurricane claims. I went for a seperate policy on my cart with State Farm. It is similar to my auto policy and is even connected with my $1M liability insurance I have with State Farm. I was surprised how inexpensive the seperate policy was. It is based on my cart not exceeding the max legal speed of 19.5 MPH. This is not a problem for me as my cart is set not to exceed the 19.5 speed.